Mid 1990's Mini Helmet

NT91

I wish I could find a real helment from the Worm era for sale. Anybody got any ideas or sources??

I've got a mini worm era helmet along with several others from ebay. The man who makes and sells them post on here every once in awhile , bflan ( I think). You might want to give him a PM and see if he can make you a full size version. All the ones I've gotten from him ( like 5 ) are real sharp looking.

Hey Everybody,

If I'm not mistaken, that helmet was only worn in 1994—my senior year. I may be wrong, but I believe the next year they added color to the Eagle.

Take care,

Mitch Maher

Yes, only worn in 1994. That was a great season, SLC Champs. That helmet logo, not so great.

NT Football Trivia: Two things happened that season that will probably never happen again in NT football team history, can you name them? :blink:

Edited by NT80

1. We used that horrid eagle logo.

2. Mitch Maher played his last season at North Texas.

What do I win? :)

Sorry, close, but no prize. 1994 was the last time NT had a game end in a tie (no OT then), and probably the last time we'll be in a football playoff game (at Boise); also last year (hopefully forever) in 1-AA.

Edited by NT80

That tie was one of the best football games I have ever seen. North Texas and Stephen F. Austin played in Nacogdoches on the next to last week of the season. Stephen F Austin had some very good athletes (three were later taken in the NFL draft) and a good team. North Texas jumped on them early and kicked some tail in the first half. We had a big lead at the half. It evaported - plus some - in the second half as Stephen F. Austin took advantage of several North Texas mistakes. We found outselves in a fourth down and forever to go play late in the fourth quarter. Mitch Maher threw a "Hail Mary" type pass that our big tight end (Luis Silva) somehow managed to catch for a first down. North Texas had a chance to win the game but an official missed an obvious pass interference call on a SFA defensive back in the end zone that would have set up a first down at the two yard line. North Texas kicked a field goal to tie the game and went into Nicholls State the next week and won the game and the Southland Conference championship. After the SFA game one of our good fans got into a fight with a SFA fan in the parking lot. I think it ended in a tie, too.

Hey Everybody,

A couple of thoughts on the SFA game:

1. I wouldn't actually call it a "hail mary." Right Thunder—All Go. They were in a 3-deep look. I believed Luis could beat the linebacker over the top of him, but I knew I'd have to get the safety in the middle of the field to take a false step. Thankfully, I had good protection and was able to make a pump-fake to my left. The safety did bite, giving a better shot at hitting Luis. At the end of the play 3 defenders—the linebacker chasing Luis, the safety in the middle of the field who had taken a false step, and the corner on the right side of the field—all converged around Luis, but he was able to bring it down. It was awesome.

2. Also, tempers were so hot after the game... especially since the flag was not thrown on the guy grabbing onto David Brown... that our center, Brad Smith, popped off to the referee... he might have even bumped him a bit. Anyway, the SLC made Brad sit out the following game—the win over Nichols to clinch the SLC Championship.

I love thinking about those days.

Mitch Maher

Hey Everybody,

A couple of thoughts on the SFA game:

1. I wouldn't actually call it a "hail mary." Right Thunder—All Go. They were in a 3-deep look. I believed Luis could beat the linebacker over the top of him, but I knew I'd have to get the safety in the middle of the field to take a false step. Thankfully, I had good protection and was able to make a pump-fake to my left. The safety did bite, giving a better shot at hitting Luis. At the end of the play 3 defenders—the linebacker chasing Luis, the safety in the middle of the field who had taken a false step, and the corner on the right side of the field—all converged around Luis, but he was able to bring it down. It was awesome.

2. Also, tempers were so hot after the game... especially since the flag was not thrown on the guy grabbing onto David Brown... that our center, Brad Smith, popped off to the referee... he might have even bumped him a bit. Anyway, the SLC made Brad sit out the following game—the win over Nichols to clinch the SLC Championship.

I love thinking about those days.

Mitch Maher

Mitch isn't Right Thunder—All Go the play that Riley thinks he designed when he was seven or eight? I remember Todd telling a story about Riley designing a play and giving it him and the team running something similar and Riley thinking he designed the play.

Hey GreenBat,

No. Remember, Coach Dodge had left after the 93 season. All Go was a play that everybody has in their playbook—everybody go deep! Right Thunder was the formation. Trips to the left. Tight end to the right. Empty back field with the running back split out to the right.

Take care,

Mitch Maher