'09 Non-conference Schedule

What games are in place for the '09 non-conference football schedule? Just wondering because I read on Hornfans that Arkansas is probably going to back out of UT's game with them scheduled for Fayetteville in '09 because they don't want to play UT and A&M in Arlington the same season. This leaves UT the task of finding two more non-conference opponents to add next season because the Horns still have not filled the home-opener yet. Some were saying UNT was mentioned as a possibility to fill one of the slots on the schedule and the other might be an away game with another BCS opponent, with a guarantee of two return trips to Austin.

From UNT's standpoint, I'd like to see the Mean Green schedule more games in which they can get a home-and-home, and shy away from the so-called "body bag" games. If UNT could get a C-USA, MWC, WAC, or MAC opponent in a home-and-home series, that would be much better in my opinion. I realize that sometimes UNT has to play games like this at LSU, UT, OU, etc. just to make enough revenue, but I hope UNT can move up to a higher league in the future and upgrade its schedule with guaranteed return home games played in Denton when scheduling non-conference games.

So my original question: has the '09 slate been set and would UNT possibly play UT in Austin again if asked?

What games are in place for the '09 non-conference football schedule? Just wondering because I read on Hornfans that Arkansas is probably going to back out of UT's game with them scheduled for Fayetteville in '09 because they don't want to play UT and A&M in Arlington the same season. This leaves UT the task of finding two more non-conference opponents to add next season because the Horns still have not filled the home-opener yet. Some were saying UNT was mentioned as a possibility to fill one of the slots on the schedule and the other might be an away game with another BCS opponent, with a guarantee of two return trips to Austin.

From UNT's standpoint, I'd like to see the Mean Green schedule more games in which they can get a home-and-home, and shy away from the so-called "body bag" games. If UNT could get a C-USA, MWC, WAC, or MAC opponent in a home-and-home series, that would be much better in my opinion. I realize that sometimes UNT has to play games like this at LSU, UT, OU, etc. just to make enough revenue, but I hope UNT can move up to a higher league in the future and upgrade its schedule with guaranteed return home games played in Denton when scheduling non-conference games.

So my original question: has the '09 slate been set and would UNT possibly play UT in Austin again if asked?

So far I have found these dates/games slated for 2009:

9/12 Air Force

10/24 @ Troy

unknown @ Ball State

unknown @ Alabama

Oh, BTW, you can find this and other information at... wait for it... my site (see signature for info).

Guest 97and03

Two OOC games I know of for '09 are Army and (I think) Baylor.

I am pretty sure that Air Force game was bought out by them at some point.

Edited by 97and03

We'd be happy to fill one of those spots on UT's schedule. Where would you like them to stay during their visit to Denton?

Agreed, I'l love to host UT! But we must stay asleep and keep dreaming, because this won't happen until

1. Hell freezes over or

2. we get a new stadium

which ever one happens first!! :ph34r:

I doubt UT would play UNT in Denton. At least not until the new stadium is built, but even then it would be highly unlikely. The only way they would play up here would be a 2 and 1 deal, where UNT would get one home game with two return trips to Austin. I think if UNT could get a deal like that it would be worth it just to host the Horns because it would be a guaranteed sellout. UT might play them at JerryWorld in Arlington too, because alumni enjoy being able to buy beer and watch the Horns in a pro stadium. We have played Rice on 2 and 1 deals before with two home games in Austin and an "away" game at Reliant (with beer sold in the stadium).

I doubt UT would play UNT in Denton. At least not until the new stadium is built, but even then it would be highly unlikely. The only way they would play up here would be a 2 and 1 deal, where UNT would get one home game with two return trips to Austin. I think if UNT could get a deal like that it would be worth it just to host the Horns because it would be a guaranteed sellout. UT might play them at JerryWorld in Arlington too, because alumni enjoy being able to buy beer and watch the Horns in a pro stadium. We have played Rice on 2 and 1 deals before with two home games in Austin and an "away" game at Reliant (with beer sold in the stadium).

I would be up for a Jerry World game with UT. For reasons I'm not totally sure of, there are many on this board that disagree. Don't forget, there are a lot of UNT fans that would like to buy beer and watch the mighty Mean Green in a pro stadium too. It's not all about UT in this country!! :no:

Edited by GreenExes

In true gomeangreen.com fashion, let me be the first to predict an 11-1 season for 2009.

I hope your not already giving up the game to Bama. Remember in Dodge's first season we did beat UL Monroe , who just so happended to knock of the Crimson Tide. By Dodge's third season , Bama will be a gimmie game :lol:

I hope your not already giving up the game to Bama. Remember in Dodge's first season we did beat UL Monroe , who just so happended to knock of the Crimson Tide. By Dodge's third season , Bama will be a gimmie game :lol:

Maybe that '1' was a conference game?

Ha, but seriously, yes, I think we'll lose @ Bama. While Dodge is doing well recruiting, Saban is bringing the FURY. Im not saying it's not possible, Im just leaving room for one blemish. I fully expect to win the other non-conference games. The way we are recruiting, and with a guy like Vizza going into his 3rd season as a starter (assuming that happens) I like our chances at a really good run in 09.

In other news, Muncie, IN might be the most boring town I've ever visited. Don't think I'll be making that trip (phallic towers or not)