More On Jenkins & Hollivay

MeanGreen61

A little more on Jenkins, Hollivay

I talked to both Gabe Hollivay and Nathaniel Jenkins today about their decisions to commit to UNT.

Perhaps the most interesting aspect to either offensive linemen is that it appears as if UNT is about to take a calculated risk by signing Jenkins, a monster of a player at 6-4, 340. Jenkins' coach Tim Hatten said that he still has a lot of work to do to qualify academically. Jenkins needs to pass 19 credit hours this semester and over the summer to be eligible to play at UNT.

Jenkins said he wasn't worried about making it through 19 hours and Hatten said he was confident the sophomore will make it. Some other schools might have been scared off by the long road Jenkins faces. No other Division I school offered a scholarship.

Jenkins will get a look at both guard and tackle at UNT.

Hollivay was the more highly recruited of the two players. Memphis, Southern Miss, UAB and Arkansas State all offered scholarships to the 6-3, 320-pound guard. The Clarion Ledger rated the top 10 junior college prospects in the state and the second 15, where Hollivay is ranked.

Rivals.com rates Hollivay as a three-star prospect.

Both players said the opportunity to play immediately was a factor in their decisions.

Post your take on the blog. Do you expect both Hollivay and Jenkins to start at UNT next season?

Edited by MeanGreen61

A little more on Jenkins, Hollivay

I talked to both Gabe Hollivay and Nathaniel Jenkins today about their decisions to commit to UNT.

Perhaps the most interesting aspect to either offensive linemen is that it appears as if UNT is about to take a calculated risk by signing Jenkins, a monster of a player at 6-4, 340. Jenkins' coach Tim Hatten said that he still has a lot of work to do to qualify academically. Jenkins needs to pass 19 credit hours this semester and over the summer to be eligible to play at UNT.

Jenkins said he wasn't worried about making it through 19 hours and Hatten said he was confident the sophomore will make it. Some other schools might have been scared off by the long road Jenkins faces. No other Division I school offered a scholarship.

Jenkins will get a look at both guard and tackle at UNT.

Hollivay was the more highly recruited of the two players. Memphis, Southern Miss, UAB and Arkansas State all offered scholarships to the 6-3, 320-pound guard. The Clarion Ledger rated the top 10 junior college prospects in the state and the second 15, where Hollivay is ranked.

Rivals.com rates Hollivay as a three-star prospect.

Both players said the opportunity to play immediately was a factor in their decisions.

Post your take on the blog. Do you expect both Hollivay and Jenkins to start at UNT next season?

How many 3* players does Hollivay give us now?

Yes, I think both JUCO's will start this Fall. Little worried about the 19 credit hours, though, for Jenkins albeit he seems to not be worried.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I am not so much worried about 19 hrs over Spring and Summer 1 &2 but rather if he will be able to make it to Fall Practices in time to be effective and be ok'ed by the NCAA. I would hope he is taking 12-15 hrs right now and then take 5-6 hrs in Summer I be done and ready for Fall 2-a-Days.

Does anyone know if MS is on Quarter System or Semester? I remember AL was Quarter 10 yrs ago when I was at a JUCO there.

How many 3* players does Hollivay give us now?

Yes, I think both JUCO's will start this Fall. Little worried about the 19 credit hours, though, for Jenkins albeit he seems to not be worried.

GMG!

Who do you project one of them replacing? I think only Venegas graduated and will be the only open spot on the OL. I know that Dodge puts all positions up for competition, but am curious as I see Menard, Bailey, Drake and Santiago starting next year leaving only one position available.

Who do you project one of them replacing? I think only Venegas graduated and will be the only open spot on the OL. I know that Dodge puts all positions up for competition, but am curious as I see Menard, Bailey, Drake and Santiago starting next year leaving only one position available.

They'll probably replace the guy(s) that let d-lineman tackle Vizza and Mosely in the backfield.

All positions should be open on a 2-10 team.

I know that Dodge puts all positions up for competition, but am curious as I see Menard, Bailey, Drake and Santiago starting next year leaving only one position available.

That's why I made the comment about Todge opening up positions to competition.

I think one starts and the other works into the starting lineup about conference time.