Post Uno-holocaust Opinion

OK...we lost...bad. Fortunantly, on our record it only goes down as 1 loss. We are now essentially in a second place tie in the SBC West, but with 4 teams ahead of us. UALR, ULL and Denver are all 4-2, we and UNO are 3-3 and ASU sits right behind at 3-4. The West is going to be an absolute dog fight...and despite the blow out I still think we're the Ron Mexico's of the West...but there are a lot of things that need to be corrected.

Josh White - I have a feeling that I may draw the ire of some with this, but I'm starting to think his minutes need to be cut. Josh will go down as one of the best to ever wear Green by the time he leaves Denton, however I feel he has failed to adequatly adjust to being a point of emphasis for the opposing defense. The extra attention should be a good thing...if Josh were distributing and getting others involved, however this seems to be an aspect of his game that needs significant improvement before he becomes our "point guard" next season. He's forcing his shots recently and really pressing his play. I think a move to the bench might be best for him right now...Dez Willingham has been great recently, when he's seen minutes...but his minutes have been inconsistant. Ben would assume full time point guard duties from the start of the game with spot up shooters like Collin and Dez on the wing. Josh would be a great spark plug off the bench for 25 minutes, rather than the 30+ he's been playing...and Dez would get 25-30 rather than 4(ULL) to 24(Troy) hes been getting.

Keith Wooden - Should not have played last night. Keith is fresh off an ankle injury, and probably still nursing the knee a bit, missed the last week of action...and then gets the flu on top of that. He's already a defensive liability when hes 100%. He looked extra slow and foggy last night...and his pressence on the floor actually ended up hurting the team. Tyrna got most of his 10 points on put backs when Keith wasnt boxing out. Q has been great at the 5...and Harold and Kedrick have really provided a spark defensivly and on the offensive glass with increased minutes at the 4. Clearly the frontline is much better with Keith, but only when he's healthy and comfortable offensivly.

Adam McCoy / Tristan Thompson - One or the other. And my vote right now is leaning towards Adam. His early season struggles seem to be passing and hes finding his stroke...so give him the confidence to use it. He dropped 8 points in 7 minutes against ULL...why then did he only play 7 minutes? He's also more experienced, a better defender and the superior athlete. TT looked like a freshman last night...he had two awful turnovers, should've been charged with a third after he fell asleep on a perfect pass from Q, forced bad shots and really just looked lost.

Bunny Shots - We missed at the very least 8 shots from 3 feet or less. These have got to go down...and I think these misses really frusterated an already sick and irritable team...and everyone started forcing bad shots and playing way too fast...and the frusteration continued to snowball out of control.

Gotta find something to be positive about to finish this post up:

Quincy Williams - He has been the best player on the floor in the month of January...hands down. Hes averaging 12.8 points and 9.6 rebounds over the last 5 games with 4 double figure scoring nights, 3 rebounding and 2 double-doubles. Last night he need the ball in his hands much, much more...as every touch he had seemed to be either a bucket or a trip to the foul line (where he went 8-11). Fouls are still a problem for Q...but he picked up number 4 pretty early, yet avoided number 5 for the rest of the night. He's really improved his mid-range game from the beginning of the season, and his 12-15 footer from the wing seems to be automatic recently...he isnt just a gabage man any more.

I doubt highly anybody will seperate themselves in this division. Denver is bound to start falling...they're now without 2 key players (Tyler Bullock, David Kummer) and they have no depth (played just 6 players last night) and by February that is bound to take its toll. I think the youth and Robert Lee's inability to use a proper player rotation will hurt ULL in the long run. UALR is deep and they play really good defense...but they have no "go-to-guy" late in a game and I think that may cost them in some tight contests. Its a long season...and this UNT team is still really good...more talented than last year, and we've seen the way they CAN assert themselves...now they just need to do it on a consistant basis.

I don't think White has recovered from the hamstring injury. Obviously based on the last few games, neither White or Wooden were ready to play extended minutes. Again I don't understand why JJ with the game obviously lost, didn't rest players. I would have liked to see Howerton, McCoy and Willingham get more minutes.

I was hoping that the team could have a break out year, but it looks like another usual JJ, about .500 conference record, ball club. We can only hope that the team gets through all the illness and injuries and has time to jell for the conference tournament.

The good news is that had we lost by 2 or lost by 30+ (and almost did) it's as simple as regrouping for the next game...hopefully without a virus running through the team. Please, no mono!

I agree with most of what you said CBL but I saw a few things that made this game a "throw away" or "hole game" in my opinion. By "hole" I mean it was one of those games where you find yourself in a hole and the more you try to dig out of it the more you sink deeper in...happens in every sport to everyone at one point of another. There was a streak where they seemed to hit every 3 point opportunity...and we seemed COMPLETELY unable to play perimeter defense. Also, at about the 6 minute mark they started snow birding like I've never seen outside of a rec game. Every time we took a shot one of their players would release downcourt. Since we could get a rebound at that point to save our lives it was like watching a football team run the hail mary. ;)

Another thing that is really disappointing as well. At North Texas we have this horrible habit of bringing in a big fat crowd, being in a game that is certainly winnable, and then laying an egg. I've gotta wonder how many of those students (and kudos to them for coming out in force) are gonna look at last night's game and use it to cling to the "North Texas sucks at athletics" myth. I hope not many.

Fortunately we have only 2 games over the next 13 days. Plenty of time to recover from the flu.

Wasn't it about this time last year that we lost to 3 out of 4 Belt games? JJ gave his speech and the team adopted the slogan "FINISH!"

They went on to win 11 out of 15, including the conference tournament games.

Fortunately we have only 2 games over the next 13 days. Plenty of time to recover from the flu.

Wasn't it about this time last year that we lost to 3 out of 4 Belt games? JJ gave his speech and the team adopted the slogan "FINISH!"

They went on to win 11 out of 15, including the conference tournament games.

We can only hope for similar results this year. I really think it's time to give more extended minutes to Dez and have Bell handle the point. It would be a shame to waste the talent of Wooden, Williams, and Bell by missing post season play.

Last Year's Results(prior to the SBC tourney)

Cameron 85 - 47 (W)

AT UNC-Charlotte 90 - 72 (W)

UT-Arlington 81 - 83 (L)

AT Rice 71 - 69 (W)

Tulsa Super Pit 65 - 63 (W)

Texas State 95 - 77 (W)

AT Nebraska 57 - 76 (L)

AT Stephen F. Austin 76 - 70 (W)

AT Nicholls State 74 - 71 (W)

AT New Orleans 93 - 97 (L) 2-OT

AT Western Kentucky 86 - 85 (W)

Jarvis Christian College 94 - 70 (W)

Belhaven 93-66 (W)

Denver 91 - 79 (W)

AT Arkansas-Little Rock 75 - 86 (L)

AT Arkansas State 84 - 60 (L)

Louisiana-Lafayette 73 - 72 (W)

AT Florida International 66 - 67 (L)

Florida Atlantic 76 - 59 (W)

Middle Tennessee 66 - 53 (W)

AT South Alabama 89 - 90 (L) OT

Troy 98 - 57 (W)

Western Kentucky 74 - 70 (W)

New Orleans 62 - 64 (L)

AT Louisiana-Monroe 66 - 62 (L)

AT Denver 78 - 65 (W)

Arkansas-Little Rock 74 - 69 (W)

Arkansas State 74 - 71 (L)

AT Louisiana-Lafayette 72 - 70 (W)

As you can see at this point last season we were also at 3-3 in league play.

Great analysis CBL. Personally, I am going to hold off analysis from what I saw with UNO. I think that game was fluke. This team has been banged up, and then had a severe flu bug sweep through the team. JJ said that their last week of practice was terrible leading up to the UNO game b/c of light player turn out due everyone being in bed. You could tell JJ was concerned during the pre-game interview... If we can pull out a road win against FAU, we'll be in good shape and have a week or so to let this team heal. The sky is not falling with this loss to UNO, but it damn sure felt that way Thursday night. I really feel for the team as they have worked so hard to win at home.... they had 3500 fans turn out on a Thursday only to give one of their worst performances all season. I hope that the crowd will not hold this against them and will return for South Alabama.

A few player comments.....by my count, Wooden has 2 bad ankles, not 1... he injured the other one at Troy. JJ said that Dennis is still not 100% with his ankle... DAMN! If Dennis shoots like this on a bum ankle, I can't wait to see what he can do fully healthy. In regard to White, I started to think along the same lines as you did CBL; however, I think White should play extended minutes. Teams now must account for White and this opens up other opportunities for Dennis, Willingham etc. I think as season progresses White will learn how to better handle this added pressure and his shot will return. I know our guard play time is extremely competitive, but after it appeared that Willingham started to nail his shots, why has he been more or less benched lately? I can't understand why. I wonder if he is injured also?? Finally, during scoring droughts, I would like to see McCoy come in... he could turn into a one man show and spark this team given his NBA quickness and ability to hit the three.... More Triston too... I love his relentless drive to the basket.

Edited by chrisfisher

Great analysis CBL. Personally, I am going to hold off analysis from what I saw with UNO. I think that game was fluke. This team has been banged up, and then had a severe flu bug sweep through the team. JJ said that their last week of practice was terrible leading up to the UNO game b/c of light player turn out due everyone being in bed. You could tell JJ was concerned during the pre-game interview... If we can pull out a road win against FAU, we'll be in good shape and have a week or so to let this team heal. The sky is not falling with this loss to UNO, but it damn sure felt that way Thursday night. I really feel for the team as they have worked so hard to win at home.... they had 3500 fans turn out on a Thursday only to give one of their worst performances all season. I hope that the crowd will not hold this against them and will return for South Alabama.

A few player comments.....by my count, Wooden has 2 bad ankles, not 1... he injured the other one at Troy. JJ said that Dennis is still not 100% with his ankle... DAMN! If Dennis shoots like this on a bum ankle, I can't wait to see what he can do fully healthy. In regard to White, I started to think along the same lines as you did CBL; however, I think White should play extended minutes. Teams now must account for White and this opens up other opportunities for Dennis, Willingham etc. I think as season progresses White will learn how to better handle this added pressure and his shot will return. I know our guard play time is extremely competitive, but after it appeared that Willingham started to nail his shots, why has he been more or less benched lately? I can't understand why. I wonder if he is injured also?? Finally, during scoring droughts, I would like to see McCoy come in... he could turn into a one man show and spark this team given his NBA quickness and ability to hit the three.... More Triston too... I love his relentless drive to the basket.

The problem sounds like you want more of everyone and there just aren't enough minutes to go around unless we switch to a 4 or 5 guard lineup!!!

The problem sounds like you want more of everyone and there just aren't enough minutes to go around unless we switch to a 4 or 5 guard lineup!!!

I hear ya... I realized that when I was typing it... what a great dilemma to have...

I think the youth and Robert Lee's inability to use a proper player rotation will hurt ULL in the long run.

What is wrong with Lee's player rotation? He has succeeded in bringing along a lot of sophomores without putting undue pressure on any one (as we may have done with White; I agree with your recommendation that White's minutes be reduced; I would say to 18 to 24 mins). Because of their skill level and Lee's good handling, some of these sophomores have now moved ahead of some of the seniors and a team picked to finish 5th is tied for the lead and probably more important, it is poised to really making hay next season.

Personally I would compliment Lee on an unconventional approach to bringing his team along. One suspects he never thought he could win it this year and is building his program for next.

Now, do I think they will win he division this season? No. Too inexperienced, not strong in the middle, and the easiest part of their conference schedule is behind them.

I think White should play extended minutes. Teams now must account for White and this opens up other opportunities for Dennis, Willingham etc. I think as season progresses White will learn how to better handle this added pressure and his shot will return.

Thats the problem, Josh isnt finding those opportunites for Dennis and Dez. There have been far too many times recently where he gets his mind lock into taking a shot and nothing can deter him from doing so. I said that if Josh were taking advantage of the added attention and getting others involved it would be a great thing...so far he hasnt figured that out

I think the youth and Robert Lee's inability to use a proper player rotation will hurt ULL in the long run.

What is wrong with Lee's player rotation? He has succeeded in bringing along a lot of sophomores without putting undue pressure on any one (as we may have done with White; I agree with your recommendation that White's minutes be reduced; I would say to 18 to 24 mins). Because of their skill level and Lee's good handling, some of these sophomores have now moved ahead of some of the seniors and a team picked to finish 5th is tied for the lead and probably more important, it is poised to really making hay next season.

Personally I would compliment Lee on an unconventional approach to bringing his team along. One suspects he never thought he could win it this year and is building his program for next.

Now, do I think they will win he division this season? No. Too inexperienced, not strong in the middle, and the easiest part of their conference schedule is behind them.

My main problem with the way Lee has managed his team has been his use of David Dees. Dees was second team all SBC last season, averaged 17 points per game...and is now the seventh or eighth man. Dees is not a perimeter shooter...and a part of that guady scoring average from last season was having lanes opened up b/c of the perimeter play of Rhett Herbert and Ross Mouton...but he has a deadly mid-range game and gets to the bucket well. He needs to be on the floor more...he's fifth on the team in minutes and second in scoring.

Perhaps its just me, I'm a fan of a tighter rotation.

Thats the problem, Josh isnt finding those opportunites for Dennis and Dez. There have been far too many times recently where he gets his mind lock into taking a shot and nothing can deter him from doing so. I said that if Josh were taking advantage of the added attention and getting others involved it would be a great thing...so far he hasnt figured that out

I'm not sure I see that, though I'm not still sure where I stand on the White issue... Since teams started to focus on White, Dennis (and Willingham to a lesser degree) have really lit it up. Don't you think that the focus on White may have something to do with this?

There have been far too many times recently where he gets his mind lock into taking a shot and nothing can deter him from doing so.
That is not what I have seen from Josh White. That is the opposite of what I have seen from Josh White. He almost never forces a shot.

I feel he has failed to adequatly adjust to being a point of emphasis for the opposing defense.

La-Lafayette opened the Jan 12 game with a Man defense and the idea of trapping Josh White every time he received a pass. The plan was quickly abandoned as it failed to to produce any turnovers as Josh quickly passed to an open man every time.

That is not what I have seen from Josh White. That is the opposite of what I have seen from Josh White. He almost never forces a shot.

La-Lafayette opened the Jan 12 game with a Man defense and the idea of trapping Josh White every time he received a pass. The plan was quickly abandoned as it failed to to produce any turnovers as Josh quickly passed to an open man every time.

In the past two games he's airballed 2 forced three point attempts, and in the UNO game found himself in the middle of the lane trying to force up shots 3 times that I can remember off hand...I can't recall specific situations of the same in the ULL game. Hes great, absolutely great at getting into the paint, but how many drop passes to a baseline post or kick outs to shooters have you seen from Josh? He's very crafty at getting his shot up, but I can recall numerous times where a pass is the better play.

And perhaps I'm being too nit-picky. I believe I have some others on my side with this assessment....atleast I did in the chat room the other night. And maybe some of this is borne out of a want to see Dez on the floor more frequently.

An average player only gets noticed when he does something great. A great player only gets recognized when he struggles...greatness is expected of him. I think Josh will be a great player here...but there are holes he still needs to fill.

And ULL was trapping everyone.

My main problem with the way Lee has managed his team has been his use of David Dees. Dees was second team all SBC last season, averaged 17 points per game...and is now the seventh or eighth man. Dees is not a perimeter shooter...and a part of that guady scoring average from last season was having lanes opened up b/c of the perimeter play of Rhett Herbert and Ross Mouton...but he has a deadly mid-range game and gets to the bucket well. He needs to be on the floor more...he's fifth on the team in minutes and second in scoring.

Perhaps its just me, I'm a fan of a tighter rotation.

Interesting observation about Dees. Dees playing time continues to go down, nearly 4 mpg less in conf than in OOC games. Daigle's time continues to go up, but I don't know if that is a tradeoff. Lee has his team playing a very aggressive man defense, could be he believes Dees doesn't fit into that role very well. Whatever, I am not ready to convinct Lee on the basis of a few stats. In Denton, ULL looked like a pretty well coached team.