Home And Home Series With Texas Tech?

MeanGreenZen

Texas Tech just got stood up by Tulsa for their 2008 season opener:

From the DMN: "Texas Tech has started searching for a 2008 season-opening opponent for a game on Aug. 30 after Tulsa informed Tech athletic director Gerald Myers that it was terminating a two-year contract between the two schools. Tulsa has left Tech with less than eight months to find a replacement opponent for its season opener. Tech is trying to avoid playing another Division I-AA team in 2008."

We are scheduled to play LSU on Aug. 30th. Since Tech is in such a bind should we back out on the defending national champions if we can get the Red Raiders to agree to a home-and-home series with them coming to Fouts?

It is a long shot since RV would not want to burn bridges with his LSU buddies, but business is business and a 2009 home date at Fouts with Tech as a drawing card would be much better for UNT than one big payday and arse-whooping from LSU to start next season. Thoughts...

Edited by MG Insurance Pro

Texas Tech just got stood up by Tulsa for their 2008 season opener:

From the DMN: "Texas Tech has started searching for a 2008 season-opening opponent for a game on Aug. 30 after Tulsa informed Tech athletic director Gerald Myers that it was terminating a two-year contract between the two schools. Tulsa has left Tech with less than eight months to find a replacement opponent for its season opener. Tech is trying to avoid playing another Division I-AA team in 2008."

We are scheduled to play LSU on Aug. 30th. Since Tech is in such a bind should we back out on the defending national champions if we can get the Red Raiders to agree to a home-and-home series with them coming to Fouts?

It is a long shot since RV would not want to burn bridges with his LSU buddies, but business is business and a 2009 home date at Fouts with Tech as a drawing card would be much better for UNT than one big payday and arse-whooping from LSU to start next season. Thoughts...

I don't think we can afford to buy out of our contract with LSU this late in the game.

I absolutely agree. I would love to see a home and home or even a 2 and 1 with Tech. I think this is a get series to go after. They wanted to play in Dallas as I recall (1 game was in TX Stadium) but I think we could play 2 games in Lubbock and then have them come to the new stadium after that. That would also be a great stadium opener if the stadium isn't ready for K-State. Tech is also 3 miles from my house but that has nothing to do with my eagerness. :rolleyes:

I don't think we can afford to buy out of our contract with LSU this late in the game.

Tulsa could afford to buyout Tech this late so why couldn't we buyout LSU? Hopefully, the revenue generated from a future game at Fouts vs. Tech would be enough to pay for the buyout. Plus, Tech has to be desperate to schedule another I-A team so we could jack up our rates to help offset the buyout.

Tulsa could afford to buyout Tech this late so why couldn't we buyout LSU? Hopefully, the revenue generated from a future game at Fouts vs. Tech would be enough to pay for the buyout. Plus, Tech has to be desperate to schedule another I-A team so we could jack up our rates to help offset the buyout.

From 8/23/07

UNT is negotiating with the Hurricanes to come to an understanding on the $450,000 guarantee that the Eagles would owe The U for breaking the contract.

We bought out of the Miami game to receive more money from Loser State. What do you think the buyout would be for them? 700K? Also, Tulsa may still have some bowl payout money leftover seeing that they just finished the biggest blowout in bowl history.

Edited by Cr1028

We can play well against LSU with:

1. Our starting quarterback from last year.

2. Better strength training during this offseason.

3. Contribution from last year's redshirts.

4. Good recruiting class this year, with some contributing right away, esp the JUCO transfers, and hopefully the new kicker.

5. Better defensive coaching from hopefully....

6. Better special teams play; hopefully we've learned something from our own mistakes of last year.

7. I like our coach better than Ohio State's.

And lose our biggest guarantee in our history? Just say no. Now, if they would be willing to do that anytime in the future....go for it.

I guess we can't do it since we already backed out on one team for that same date. If we backed out again teams would be reluctant to schedule us for payday games. It is too bad because I would love to be able to take advantage of the Red Raiders' desperation.

I guess we can't do it since we already backed out on one team for that same date. If we backed out again teams would be reluctant to schedule us for payday games. It is too bad because I would love to be able to take advantage of the Red Raiders' desperation.

Yeah, but since the first game would be out there in Lubbock....what would prevent TTech from buying us out, and never coming to Denton the next year....anyway.

After all, Air Force did that. We never got the return game from them. (We did get $250,000 though).

Edited by SUMG

I wonder what would happen if Rick V called Tech and offered to cancell our game with Tulsa to go to Lubbock as the first part of a home and home series? Tech would probably love to present problems for Tulsa. There would have to be a little shifting of scheduled games (conference or nonconference) to keep us from having only four home games for 2008. There would have to be an agreement about Texas Tech coming to Fouts Field (not Texas Stadium) and a buyout of about $2 million to keep Tech from welching on the return game - or we could always hope they coughed up the two million bucks. It would sure help out our New Stadium Fund. We all know that it probably won't happen, but what the heck do we have to lose? It is like asking a pretty girl for a date. She can't say "Yes" if you don't ask her.

At the last UT game, Rick told me Tech wont play us anymore. He said he has called, but they aren't interested. Maybe something has changed, but I doubt it.

Tech has stated that they want one of their non-conference games to be regional. That is why they want to play Tulsa (Tech really recruits Oklahoma well). They have had series w/ SMU, Rice ,TCU, UTEP and have expressed interest in NT...

And lose our biggest guarantee in our history?

It's a guaranteed something, and other than the paycheck it is 100% bad for the University of North Texas.

LSU should be unceremoniously dumped unless they too will offer a home-and-home series.

This is an absolute no-brainer if we can get Tech to cover the buy-out fee of the LSU game.

Edited by ADLER

Its both buying out LSU and losing their fat check...and its going to Lubbock where the result may prove to be the same. Look what Tech did to SMU in Dallas at the start of last season....I think we'll be improved, but lets be realistic...this isn't a 10-2 team next season because Mendoza is gone. Chances of winning go from 1% to 5% at best.

Take the money.

I, too, have no interest in helping Texas Tech but I do have an interest in taking advantage of them being in a tight spot. They have publicly said that they do not want to play another 1-AA team in 2008. Let's see how badly they want to avoid it. I, too had heard that Tech had no interest in playing us but desperate times call for desperate measures. Let's see how desperate Tech is and what theya re willing to do about it. It only costs a phone call to find out.

I, too, have no interest in helping Texas Tech but I do have an interest in taking advantage of them being in a tight spot. They have publicly said that they do not want to play another 1-AA team in 2008. Let's see how badly they want to avoid it. I, too had heard that Tech had no interest in playing us but desperate times call for desperate measures. Let's see how desperate Tech is and what theya re willing to do about it. It only costs a phone call to find out.

Call'em collect.

I think many people are missing my point.

I have no more concerns about helping Texas Tech than the have about helping us.

This is collegiate athletics. They were designed to create fair competition between rival universities, boost university spirit, and to create entertainment for students and alumni through home games. The LSU game fills none of those functions and contributes to THE PROBLEM. Having a home-and-home series with Tech may not be the perfect nepenthe, but it is a step in the right direction.

I think many people are missing my point.

I have no more concerns about helping Texas Tech than the have about helping us.

This is collegiate athletics. They were designed to create fair competition between rival universities, boost university spirit, and to create entertainment for students and alumni through home games. The LSU game fills none of those functions and contributes to THE PROBLEM. Having a home-and-home series with Tech may not be the perfect nepenthe, but it is a step in the right direction.

Yes, however, you've got to pay for it somehow and playing LSU helps to do that. Would a home and home with Tech pay as much? I don't know. If it would then sure scrap LSU and add a home and home with Tech.