Real Season About To Begin

CMJ

We need the 1 seed to have a decent shot at an at-large NCAA bid if we lose in the SBC Tournament.

As much as I would like to see that happen the Sun Belt just isn't strong enough for that to happen yet. There will be much better teams from stronger conferences that don't get an at-large bid. The only team that goes to the tourney will be the conf. tournament champion.

The Sun Belt is currently ranked as the 18th best conference and that will only go down as we head into conference play.

Sagarins Conference Ratings

Having said that, I think the Belt is improving. I hope this trend continues so maybe in the near future we can have an at-large bid.

I have to admit I am a little nervous about conference play. Last season our record was 11-3 for all games played up to December, but then didn't see this type of winning percentage during conference play. Nonetheless, I feel very confident about this team. What separates this team from last year is that we have a deep line up of talented guards and improved free throw shooting.

Edited by chrisfisher

As much as I would like to see that happen the Sun Belt just isn't strong enough for that to happen yet. There will be much better teams from stronger conferences that don't get an at-large bid. The only team that goes to the tourney will be the conf. tournament champion.

The Sun Belt is currently ranked as the 18th best conference and that will only go down as we head into conference play.

Sagarins Conference Ratings

Having said that, I think the Belt is improving. I hope this trend continues so maybe in the near future we can have an at-large bid.

I know that the odds are slim, but im not 100% sold on us only getting one team in the tournament this year. With out of conference records going into conference play, if any combination of UNT, WKU, UNO, USA, and/or UALR could both theoretically run the table in the Sun Belt, I could see the possiblity of an at-large bid. I know Sun Belt schools get snubbed a lot, but its hard to ignore a team with less than 5 losses...Just a possibility.

We will lose a few conference games. Protect the SuperPit and steal some on the road. That's all you can ask.

I realize we will lose some games and that it won't be the end of the world. We have an extremely competitive conference, especially this season with New Orleans, ULAR, USA, and WKU. The thing that concerns me most is how we lost two early season OOC games. Both occurred due to slow, sloppy starts with very poor shooting. Don't get me wrong. I am extremely excited about this team and believe we will go far; but in terms of concerns about our play, this in my main (and probably only) one.

Edited by chrisfisher

I realize we will lose some games and that it won't be the end of the world. We have an extremely competitive conference, especially this season with New Orleans, ULAR, USA, and WKU. The thing that concerns me most is how we lost two early season OOC games. Both occurred due to slow, sloppy starts with very poor shooting. Don't get me wrong. I am extremely excited about this team and believe we will go far; but in terms of concerns about our play, this in my main (and probably only) one.

To be honest, the really competitive teams in the Belt don't worry me as much. CBL and I were having a conversation the other day about how Johnny has really seemed to have his team "up" for the tough conference games in the past couple of years. I fear our team "playing down" to the weaker teams in the conference and losing games here and there that we should be winning...mostly due to what you described above.

As CMJ pointed out, we will not go unscathed throughout conference play, but if we protect the Pit and win most on the road (dropping one here or there), we should be in great shape come conference tourney time.

---Go for the GOLD...win them all ...... that could give us a top 25 rating, and if not at least votes,and maybe a berth even if he messed up in the tournament..

This start the "real" season but the non-conference games gives everyone a way to compare conferences... We did pretty well this year.

Our Texas "brothers" in the Southland have done ok as well. It can help us by getting attention for the region..

Yes.

Similar to the automatic bids the NCAA Tournament grants for all conference tournament champions, all teams that won regular-season conference championships but failed to earn NCAA tournament bids are guaranteed places in the NIT. Thus, more teams from the low-major conferences may qualify.

I guess my fears of a slow, sloppy start were realized in the Denver game. What a disappointing game that was. We are going to have to learn how to win on the road, else we aren't going anywhere post-season.

I guess my fears of a slow, sloppy start were realized in the Denver game. What a disappointing game that was. We are going to have to learn how to win on the road, else we aren't going anywhere post-season.

Way to be prophetic Chris ;) ...Just kidding. It was discouraging to see our team play to a pace dictated by Denver. CBL has pointed out in his pre-season analysis (cheap plug) that Denver would focus on slowing the games down and try to win ugly. We'll, that's exactly what we got. This team has to play high tempo transition basketball to be effective offensively...our half court set is just too spotty at this point to depend upon consistently.

Oh well...Protect the Pit! We've gotta learn to win on the road on a more consistent basis. No excuse to lose to a team like Denver when we've still got NO, UALR, USA, and WKU to worry about.