The Shootout Begins

stebo

5:00 minutes into the game and 14 points already scored - 7-7 all tied up. FAU looks pumped up though. Can't tell if they have any fans there, but the Memphis side looks kinda full. More filled in than I thought it would be, that is for sure. Come on Owls - win this damn game.

tied for 3rd but own the tie breakers and are the most geographically sensitive team for the bowl. We get a mutually agreed upon pick from CUSA after their first and second place teams. We have had everywhere from their first place team (Cinci) all the way to this Memphis team (tied for 3rd). We have had a second place CUSA team, and another true third place CUSA team... it just depends on who will travel the most. In other words, if a team like East Carolina or UCF was the 3rd place team and the next pick - the bowl would pass them over for the fourth place team because they would travel more. But since our game picks towards the end, if the conference race is tight - then we could get anyone between 1 and 4. Like the year that we got Cinci - the champions... (and beat them) - the conference wasn't decided but the Liberty Bowl wanted to choose - so they chose someone else, then the next bowl guessed that the second place team would be someone else as well... well, Cinci ended up winning the conference and going to their third place bowl - even though they were the co-champs with TCU (but they really weren't the co-champs because TCU had beat them head to head)...

So - a long winded answer, but I hope it all makes sense.. the bowl does things differently, they do things that make economic sense. They also only give out a guarantee of $325,000 per team - but they let the schools sell 5100 tickets for that payout allowing the schools to make the rest of the 750K payout on their own. Other bowls promise $750K and then make the school guarantee anywhere between 8000 and 12000 ticket sales - and then when they don't sell them, the school has to eat the cost, thus reducing their payout - and then the schools usually get even less then the $325K that the NO Bowl guarantees. It is a no BS bowl and I like the way it is set up.

They also only give out a guarantee of $325,000 per team - but they let the schools sell 5100 tickets for that payout allowing the schools to make the rest of the 750K payout on their own. Other bowls promise $750K and then make the school guarantee anywhere between 8000 and 12000 ticket sales - and then when they don't sell them, the school has to eat the cost, thus reducing their payout - and then the schools usually get even less then the $325K that the NO Bowl guarantees. It is a no BS bowl and I like the way it is set up.

Sort of "truth in bowling" for a change. I forget which one, but one of the bowls with a PAC 10 tie in lists a little of a million in payout, but requires the schools to come up with near $500,000 of it.

FAU offense is looking good. 17-7.

It stinks watching this game. I have some many great memories from NO, granted even though we only had one win. The year we beat Cincinnati I remember walking around calling it the Mean Green Dome because we owned that building and Gino Gudiligi (sp?). Ah good times, well that and Miller Lite in a plastic bottle. Gotta love it.

Couple of thoughts:

FAU is athletic and fast. They are going to get good QB play for the next 2 years, and their skill position players are good. They are going to be one of the top two or three teams in the SBC for a few years.

FAU: Why wouldn't a kid want to go to Boca Raton to play? UNT needs to look out for these guys.

Both teams are doing a pretty good job protecting their QB's.

FAU can run when they need to.

Schnelly looks like a cross between Cap'n Crunch, Captain Kangaroo, and an elephant seal.

Defenses for both teams probably could have stayed on the bus and been just as effective.

Kicking teams=Horrible.

Pretty good job 'dressing' the Superdome. Note the asymmetrical red seat covers on a portion of the seats. Clever.

All and All, FAU is pretty damned impressive. They are representing the Belt well. ESPN is doing a great job of making their fan base look respectable as well. I really am not embarrassed by the turnout like I thought I would be. Thank GOD that we have Memphis as the opponent, they brought a good bunch of fans.

Troy fans have to be absolutely sick tonight.......along with the Sun Belt Conference Administration and New Orleans Bowl Committee.

If Troy was there I am guessing they would have brought at least 10,000 - 15,000 fans?

How great would it be to have Memphis with 3 Sun Belt losses this year!

GO OWLS!!!

Cinci ended up winning the conference and going to their third place bowl - even though they were the co-champs with TCU (but they really weren't the co-champs because TCU had beat them head to head)...

SB, Cincy and TCU finished 6-2 in conference that season('02) and Cincy won the tie breaker because they beat the Horned Frogs in the first game that season. They then came within a minute or two of knocking off Ohio State the next week by the way. But I remember you explaining that the reason we got Cincy instead of TCU was about something to do with Cincy being in that huge brawl with Hawaii earlier that year and officials didn't want a rematch in the Hawaii bowl between the Bearcats and Warriors, or something like that?

The "Happy Holli "Duh" Huyndai commercial bites.

Rick