Smu "news"

emmitt01

According to sources who should know pretty well what is going on at SMU Franchione is in talks with the ponies. The sticking point right now is the money. Ponies don't want to pay the guy a million plus just to see him bolt in a few years. Also, the talk of him wanting to bring DD in as his OC are not mere conjecture.

With all of this in mind this is how I see it playing out (this is the part of the post where I am being slightly facetious). I think he will stay 5 years.

Year 1- Coach Fran takes over just in time to put together a pretty good class. Not as good as Todge's but still pretty good. His team wins 8 games and every SMU booster is kept up to date by email newsletter. SMU goes to their first bowl game since Eddie Murphy made a funny movie and all seems well on the hilltop.

Year 2- An NCAA investigation reveals that SMU has been back to their old ways. Every person involved with the football program, except for Dickey's diet coke boy b/c that guy has never been paid well, was on the take. SMU vacates their 8 wins and their bowl win. The team goes 2-10.

Year 3- Fran starts the year on the hot seat. Not because he cheated and got SMU in trouble...because he got caught. The team decides to play to the best of their abilities for SMU and ol' coach Fran...which means they go 4-8. Fran is fired.

Year 4- With Fran gone Dickey is elevated from OC to head coach. At his press conference announcing him as the new head guy Dickey states "I'm happy to be the coach at SMU. It's gonna be a tough road to travel folks. I have the toughest job in all of football. I know, I've worked here every day for the last three years." Dickey meets up with Flanigan on a street corner during the off-season when RF approaches his car window with a sing reading "Homeless SMU Vet. Will Run The Dive For Food". Dickey saves him from poverty and gives him a $600,000 job as the new OC. SMU goes 6-6 and barely misses out on a bowl game. Dickey though isn't concerned with such things...he's too busy being mad because the local media only talks about NT's 9-3 season and Riley Dodge throwing for 5,000 yards.

Year 5- Dickey and his SMU charges slip back a bit going 5-7. The writing is on the wall most of the season and Dickey, seeing the end in sight, convinces Steve Orsini to sign a 10 year home and home with North Texas...with the stipulation that SMU be allowed to wear black both home and away.

Edited by emmitt01

According to sources who should know pretty well what is going on at SMU Franchione is in talks with the ponies. The sticking point right now is the money. Ponies don't want to pay the guy a million plus just to see him bolt in a few years. Also, the talk of him wanting to bring DD in as his OC are not mere conjecture.

With all of this in mind this is how I see it playing out (this is the part of the post where I am being slightly facetious). I think he will stay 5 years.

Year 1- Coach Fran takes over just in time to put together a pretty good class. Not as good as Todge's but still pretty good. His team wins 8 games and every SMU booster is kept up to date by email newsletter. SMU goes to their first bowl game since Eddie Murphy made a funny movie and all seems well on the hilltop.

Year 2- An NCAA investigation reveals that SMU has been back to their old ways. Every person involved with the football program, except for Dickey's diet coke boy b/c that guy has never been paid well, was on the take. SMU vacates their 8 wins and their bowl win. The team goes 2-10.

Year 3- Fran starts the year on the hot seat. Not because he cheated and got SMU in trouble...because he got caught. The team decides to play to the best of their abilities for SMU and ol' coach Fran...which means they go 4-8. Fran is fired.

Year 4- With Fran gone Dickey is elevated from OC to head coach. At his press conference announcing him as the new head guy Dickey states "I'm happy to be the coach at SMU. It's gonna be a tough road to travel folks. I have the toughest job in all of football. I know, I've worked here every day for the last three years." Dickey meets up with Flanigan on a street corner during the off-season when RF approaches his car window with a sing reading "Homeless SMU Vet. Will Run The Dive For Food". Dickey saves him from poverty and gives him a $600,000 job as the new OC. SMU goes 6-6 and barely misses out on a bowl game. Dickey though isn't concerned with such things...he's too busy being mad because the local media only talks about NT's 9-3 season and Riley Dodge throwing for 5,000 yards.

Year 5- Dickey and his SMU charges slip back a bit going 5-7. The writing is on the wall most of the season and Dickey, seeing the end in sight, convinces Steve Orsini to sign a 10 year home and home with North Texas...with the stipulation that SMU be allowed to wear black both home and away.

I like it very well....plusses to you and your "sources" as you may very well be onto something here.

Kind of intertaining since the board is a little dead, but also kind of spooky; on why you and a couple of others, continue to spend so much thought and time on SMU.

It's a rivalry kinda thing.

Kind of like the amount of time the Aggies devote to hating UT. Hell, its even in their fight song.

Kind of intertaining since the board is a little dead, but also kind of spooky; on why you and a couple of others, continue to spend so much thought and time on SMU.

I don't spend any more thought on them than Plumm spends on the WAC, unt_playmaker spends on the nonsense, Tasty spends on penis jokes, Quoner spends on gay humor, or FFRick spends on pushing his unified chant.

It's a rivalry kinda thing.

Kind of like the amount of time the Aggies devote to hating UT. Hell, its even in their fight song.

Just to add to the rivalry thing... I was at an area gym gettng ready to work out, I was proudly wearing my MG basketball shirt and nt beanie, when I run into a guy wearing an smut sweater, he looks at me and all of a sudden a palpable hatred could be felt, someone else was changing on the other side of the bench, which left no way out. He decided to walk over the bench in order to avoid me or any contact with me, even after I offered a way to pass through. There is definatley, something happening there folks. It's either that or he was afraid of talking to someone who is not white.

Did my post make sense?

Edited by filmerj

I think a couple of you guys are paranoid! lol! I have worked with several SMU guys for years, and we always talked college football, and never once did this poo poo on North Texas come up. If this is a conspiracy or rivalry, it seems to be a secret to SMU. Now, if you you guys KEEP going to there board, and stirring the pot, MABEY, you can develope something......and I think a handful of you guys are intent on doing just that, so you can say, see! see! If we have to focus on a team in the metroplex, why not TCU? They have a very good program, and one we should emulate.

I think a couple of you guys are paranoid! lol! I have worked with several SMU guys for years, and we always talked college football, and never once did this poo poo on North Texas come up. If this is a conspiracy or rivalry, it seems to be a secret to SMU. Now, if you you guys KEEP going to there board, and stirring the pot, MABEY, you can develope something......and I think a handful of you guys are intent on doing just that, so you can say, see! see! If we have to focus on a team in the metroplex, why not TCU? They have a very good program, and one we should emulate.

Read their board more closely. They have threads specifically dedicated to "NTSU" or the "little ol' teacher's school" all the time. Case in point:

http://www.ponyfans.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.p...99a8ec792fdf544

Note that this thread is started by one their own, not one of us. I'm really happy for you that you found the few SMU grads who have ten fingers and toes. I've just never met them.

1. We don't play TCU very often. When we have, we won once in 94 years.

2. If you think there is no rivalry between SMU and UNT then you don't know the history.

3. It's a fun rivalry cause they like to believe their Daddy's money is their money and they say we all get degrees in Burger Engineering.

Finally, a rivalry between SMU and UNT makes sense for both programs. It's a well-traveled road game. We had a great crowd at SMU this year and I personally can't wait to go again.

Emmitt says "Read their board more closely."

Case in point, why are you over there??? Could it be with a spyglass, just hoping you will find something?

Why don't we play TCU? NT fans should stop looking for reasons to blame others for our own shortcomings..like, "well, we don't have a new stadium because we don't have money like (%%%) Well, we are not in a better conference because mean ole' (###) blackballed us. BUNCH OF SELF DEFEATEST-LOOKING FOR A CRUTCH CRAP!!!!!!

North Texas has triple the alums, and current students as TCU and SMU combined!

It's NT failure by it's past and current leadership and alumni, that we play in a broken down old stadium.......not (&&&)

The same goes for the conference, you guys are always beating your chest on how the Sun Belt is a better conference than than CUSA, but you whine that it's (@@@) fault that we were not invited.

Fact......If we had taken care of what we can control, NT would have been picked by the Mountain West, or CUSA. The prettiest girl at the dance ALWAYS get's picked. But I guess it's just easier to blame someone else if you don't.

I think we should do everything possible to get a home and home series going with SMU from here on out. It helps both schools and would build a rivalry between to the two schools for sure.

They are working to ink a 6-year deal that would start in 2010... just in time to open our new stadium.

Taking my bloodpressure medicine...........WHAT ABOUT TCU????????????????????????????

Actually, if we all (and we do) think SMUt is a sinking ship then why would that rivalry be any better for us and football fans in the metroplex (not to mention the TV contracts) than TCU. I agree, what about TCU? Maybe a little harder to turn consistant wins but it would be a great agreement!

Edited by GreenExes

Why not both?!

You guys have to admit this was a funny post though. Especially if you know who "Diet Coke boy" is. He used to be "microphone wire guy".

I went to the link Emmitt gave and weighed in...but not against SMU. Were you guys not among almost everyone else I knew that thinks most of our campus looks freaking ugly? I'm hoping our stadium doesn't fit in with all of that too well. Perfect example...I had to spend most of my time in Wooten Hall, which (along with the library) was designed with "bomb shelter" in mind. Literally.

I went to the link Emmitt gave and weighed in...but not against SMU. Were you guys not among almost everyone else I knew that thinks most of our campus looks freaking ugly?

Yeah, i read your post over there... nice how your first contribution to PhonyFans.com was to bash your own school for having an ugly campus and that you don't expect the stadium to be any better.

You 'tard.

No, I don't think we have an ugly campus... I think we have a nice campus that has seen a lot of improvement over the years with the landscaping, the athletic center, the rec center, the new Victory Hall, Mozart Square, the fountain and pool, and the EESAT building (just to name a few).

Our campus has improved, but could still be much better. One of my personal complaints is the Baptist Student Center (I think that is what it is) right across from the Union. The landscape is always in disrepair - weeds, overgrown shrubs, no edging... It looks horrible! I wish someone would take responsibility for its upkeep. It should be the school, yes?

As for the library, it is what it is. The fountains out front are a marked improvement.

Yeah, i read your post over there... nice how your first contribution to PhonyFans.com was to bash your own school for having an ugly campus and that you don't expect the stadium to be any better.

You 'tard.

No, I don't think we have an ugly campus... I think we have a nice campus that has seen a lot of improvement over the years with the landscaping, the athletic center, the rec center, the new Victory Hall, Mozart Square, the fountain and pool, and the EESAT building (just to name a few).

1) You must be one of the few who thinks that the few decent attractions Pohl, Jackson, Bataille, and co. have added make the rest of it look decent. Some fat, ugly chicks have cool clothes or nice skin, but that doesn't make them hot. If you disagree, maybe you're as drunk when you walk around campus as you are when you pick up those fat, ugly chicks with cool clothes.

2) I hope that your comments about me were intended to be humorous. If not, I would hope that you would speak to me in the same manner in person. Really.

3) You must have had better - or zero - dealings with "the process" than I. If you automatically assume that this thing will look good, have amenities desired by most, etc., you are most certainly disillusioned. Lots of things at UNT start with good intentions and end up as complete crap. We can hope that this will fall into the "library mall, Rec Center, etc" arena, but as I pointed out on Ponyland, trusting in something like that is a bad idea. Ever tried to find your way through the Music Building without a guide? Know the background of the Art Building, Wooten Hall, Willis Library, Chemistry Building...need I go on?

Our campus has improved, but could still be much better. One of my personal complaints is the Baptist Student Center (I think that is what it is) right across from the Union. The landscape is always in disrepair - weeds, overgrown shrubs, no edging... It looks horrible! I wish someone would take responsibility for its upkeep. It should be the school, yes?

As for the library, it is what it is. The fountains out front are a marked improvement.

Some misguided friends of mine tried to combat "money for athletics" with "money for a new library". They knew how funding worked and were just trying to play on uninformed students' issues. However, the gorgeous "library mall" would look better if it wasn't a part of an area built by a dedicated bomb shelter.

As far as the Baptist (Student Ministry, I think?)...they own their very small plot of land. UNT can make polite requests, but as long as it meets city codes, nothing else can be done about their land.

Just to add to the rivalry thing... I was at an area gym gettng ready to work out, I was proudly wearing my MG basketball shirt and nt beanie, when I run into a guy wearing an smut sweater, he looks at me and all of a sudden a palpable hatred could be felt, someone else was changing on the other side of the bench, which left no way out. He decided to walk over the bench in order to avoid me or any contact with me, even after I offered a way to pass through. There is definatley, something happening there folks. It's either that or he was afraid of talking to someone who is not white.

Did my post make sense?

Yep, you hit the nail on the head. Those affiliated with SMU contract a phobia of all people of non-Caucasian lineage.

As for Fran, please God, no.

As far as the Baptist (Student Ministry, I think?)...they own their very small plot of land. UNT can make polite requests, but as long as it meets city codes, nothing else can be done about their land.

I am seriously thinking about hauling my own lawn equipment up there and at least making it look like a fat chick with nice skin.

Love the fat girl with nice skin comment. Is there such a thing?

Edited by scotty474