Lots Of Recruiting Info; Along With Season Highlights

SUMG

Scottie alerted me to this. I had never even looked at the Mean Green Insider. Anyway, it's free (at www.meangreensports.com---it's on the front page).

Anyway, in the latest one....Hank and TD recap the 2007 season (along with some great highlights---including Casey Fitz's 99 yd. TD).

But, they also do a lot of talking about recruiting. TD tells about how many he hopes to sign at each position. Also, TD tells Hank some of the selling points that he uses on perspective recruits and their parents.

It's great.

One more note: They mention that Cam M might get a medical redshirt.

Edited by SUMG

I enjoyed Dodge's comments on recruiting but some were confusing. TD stated he currently had 7 wr's on scholarship, have some left or slated for other positions? I count more: Strickler, Fitzgerald, Johnson, Dibrell, Washington, Robertson, Lewis, Fentress, King and Walker. The 7 makes more sense as NT has already committed to four more wr's. He also erroneously identified Drake and Peachy as redshirt freshmen. Both played on DD's green team.

He also stated he thinks they will recruit about 22 players, which means pending any defections: NT has only 6 ships available. Dodge's positive approach is great to hear.

A few notes while I listen:

Dodge stated we return 18 of our top 22, most back for multiple years

Although we only lose 1 starter from this years o-line, we are still very young in that area. But going to have experience

Man I love listening to him talk!!

says Weathers has a chance to make it to the next level

biggest needs in recruiting are in secondary he hopes to sign 3 safeties, 3 corners

a couple of high school rb's, and is trying to get a medical redshirt for Cam, so he will have 2 more years. Great if happens

wants to have 12 wr on ship, sign 4 wr in this class

wants to sign 22

13-14 on the defensive side

wants kids from winning programs

top 3 things he touts about North Texas to recruits

degree has value

family atmosphere

chance to compete now

Dodge stated we return 18 of our top 22, most back for multiple years

Not exactly. We are losing quite a few more than 4 of the 22 starters.

Per the end of the season starting lineup:

Stevenson*

Mendoza*

Weathers*

Chapman*

Holman*

Venegas

Jackson

Thomas

Cotton

And if you add those who were deemed "starters" at the beginning of the season you can include Burruss and Monroe as well. My fuzzy math say's thats

11 or half the starting team from this season.

* Denotes our top five tackle leaders.

Rick

He said 18 of our top 22 not 18 of 22 starters. I take that to believe he has a lot of faith in last years class and the development of some of the other young players. Sometimes experience starts over talent but with a year under their belts and another off season of coaching I expect a lot from the kids and it looks TD does as well.

Edited by NTPhiKap99

I went to the Celina - Glen Rose game last Sat. The big Celina tackle that has committed to UNT was dominating . He put people on the ground nearly every play. Looks like he has room for more weight .

Is he playing offensive tackle for them...or defensive tackle...or both? I was thinking he was a DT that we planned to move to offensive line.

I went to the Celina - Glen Rose game last Sat. The big Celina tackle that has committed to UNT was dominating . He put people on the ground nearly every play. Looks like he has room for more weight .

Troy is up to 6'5" 286 lbs. They are currantly (this year) playing him at Defensive Tackle, end and nose while on Offense at Tight end. He will play where ever the coaches decide to put him that best for the team now and next year. I also restate Mr. Vizza comments from last week on how exited he is about UNT's future and fortunate he feels to be able to play for Coach Dodge. UNT is headed for a very bright future. Go Mean Green!

State Semi-Final Saturday "Shotwell Stadium" 4:00 Snyder vs Celina

Troy is up to 6'5" 286 lbs. They are currantly (this year) playing him at Defensive Tackle, end and nose while on Offense at Tight end. He will play where ever the coaches decide to put him that best for the team now and next year. I also restate Mr. Vizza comments from last week on how exited he is about UNT's future and fortunate he feels to be able to play for Coach Dodge. UNT is headed for a very bright future. Go Mean Green!

Thanks for the insight, and welcome to the board!

Mr. Franklin, best of luck this weekend. Troy is going to make an outstanding player at UNT.

I, for one, am glad they are using Giovanni Vizza as one of the host's for the 2008 prospects. Knowing that Vizza is still excited about Dodge and the future says a lot about the direction of the program.

It surprised me that Coach Dodge said he was only looking to sign one DT.

We are actually fine at D-tackle. We could use a juco stud or any stud for that matter. I've been saying this for a while and most people don't seem to believe it because we went several years with nothing.

We have several young players with talent waiting in the wings. Draylen Ross, Jesse DeSotto, and Jordan Scroggins. Throw in Joesph Miller, Ike Thomas Jonathen Stewart and we have a fairly good rotation here.

Per the end of the season starting lineup:

Stevenson*

Mendoza*

Weathers*

Chapman*

Holman*

Venegas

Jackson

Thomas

Cotton

And if you add those who were deemed "starters" at the beginning of the season you can include Burruss and Monroe as well. My fuzzy math say's thats

11 or half the starting team from this season.

* Denotes our top five tackle leaders.

Rick

I think TD was referring to having 18 return of the two deep offense.

That's some of that "Championship Mentality" that Todge is looking for.