Ben Knox Update

SUMG

A game with 4 Quarters ??

I'm not going to judge yet , I have yet to see the kid play and he still has a lot of potiental. I do worry tho , about someone being 6'9 and not having a handful of DI offers from "good schools". I mean who exactly did we beat out to get him signed ?? I can't remember the list of schools we beat out , but it wasn't impressive.

I can't remember the list of schools we beat out , but it wasn't impressive.

He had an offer from Tulsa and Tulane. Those are two pretty good programs.

Edited by GreenBat

A game with 4 Quarters ??

I'm not going to judge yet , I have yet to see the kid play and he still has a lot of potiental. I do worry tho , about someone being 6'9 and not having a handful of DI offers from "good schools". I mean who exactly did we beat out to get him signed ?? I can't remember the list of schools we beat out , but it wasn't impressive.

He had 15 points the other night against a Rockwall team. There could be many reasons for a 6 point night from foul trouble, illness to a simple lack of a need to take the ball inside (if the guards on his team are as good as advertised).

I don't consider Tulsa and Tulane "good" programs.

Tulsa has 14 NCAA Tournament appearances, last in 2003. Made Elite 8 in 2000.

Tulane has 3 Tournament appearances, last in 1995, where it won the first round game.

Not UNC, Duke or Kentucky, but neither is North Texas.

Edited by GreenBat

I too am trying to withhold judgement on the kid until I see him play. My main issue with this signing (on paper) is that we could have signed him (or equivalent) in March. I don't mind a project big man in a recruiting class but I would hope that we would have already secured a signature (or commitment) from a difference maker big man.

We clearly have a major hole at center next year. We also need a true point guard to back up White. (Although I feel comfortable with Mangrum in limited minutes) We have done extremely well with transfers from other D1 programs late. We have no reason to get cute with our offers when we have not yet arrived.

Speaking of point guard prospects, I hope the staff extends an offer to William Weathers of Lewisville. The kid scored 34 the other night in a loss. I have not heard anything about his recruitment. He would compliment White extremely well at 6-1.

Obviously you don't remember when Tulsa was doing well every March. They had quite a run in the mid 90's to early '00's.

I remember Shea Seals and Tulsa's hay-day...late 90s...that program hasn't been the anywhere near that same level since Bill Self left. Tulane hasn't been good since Jerald Honeycutt was there in the mid 90s.

I've had my reservations about this signing...and seeing that these are the schools we're competing against in the early signing period worries me even more now. Add the fact that he's 6'9" and only 215 and is considered a post player...thats very light for his height...and TexasHoops had him ranked in the mid 60s of Texas prospects, and Texas State is pulling kids in the 40s.

After what will prove to be JJ's best signing class I have faith in him...but JJ's record of finding big men out of high school is very sketchy...Howerton, Stewart, Barnett (love you), Ron Harris have under-acheived in their time here...really only Quincy has panned out as a consistant post pressence, and he only did it last season. We seem to settle for projects, and just too many of them haven't panned out.

someone else 6'9" in the pros...tyrus thomas....let's not worry about his weight right now...he could easily be 230 by next august.

Wow...ummm...lets say that if anyone outside of this board ever references Ben Knox and Tyrus Thomas in the same breath...I will personally apologize to the kid for ever questioning his credentials.

My concerns on this kid are more than just his weight...though a player described as predominantly a back to the basket post will need to bulk up considerably. The other schools involved in his recruitment aren't at the level we should be recruiting...and these aren't even confirmed offers from Tulsa or Tulane and could just be who Knox was interested in.

Wow...ummm...lets say that if anyone outside of this board ever references Ben Knox and Tyrus Thomas in the same breath...I will personally apologize to the kid for ever questioning his credentials.

My concerns on this kid are more than just his weight...though a player described as predominantly a back to the basket post will need to bulk up considerably. The other schools involved in his recruitment aren't at the level we should be recruiting...and these aren't even confirmed offers from Tulsa or Tulane and could just be who Knox was interested in.

Nobody was recruiting Hogans either and he looks like he will be a pretty decent player once he gets a year or two under his belt.