Who Cares If We Suck This Year?

MeanGreenZen

Todd Dodge inherited probably the least talented roster in Division I-A and on top of that the players don't even fit his system. I counted only six players on the entire roster (Chapman, JMo, Fitzgerald, Holman, Truman Spencer, Weathers) who could start for another Division IA team in Texas (excluding pathetic SMU). This is Dickey's fault not Dodge's. Dickey basically took his last three recruiting classes off. It is going to take some time to overcome that. We were never going to win the Belt this year so why is anyone getting frustrated that we got beat by the one of the best teams in the history of the conference? Our offense is exciting. Our players are representing the program with more class and we have a high-profile head coach who is proud to be here. All we have to do is give Dodge some time to build the program and he will take us places we haven't been since the time of Hayden Fry.

Todd Dodge inherited probably the least talented roster in Division I-A and on top of that the players don't even fit his system. I counted only six players on the entire roster (Chapman, JMo, Fitzgerald, Holman, Truman Spencer, Weathers) who could start for another Division IA team in Texas (excluding pathetic SMU). This is Dickey's fault not Dodge's. Dickey basically took his last three recruiting classes off. It is going to take some time to overcome that. We were never going to win the Belt this year so why is anyone getting frustrated that we got beat by the one of the best teams in the history of the conference? Our offense is exciting. Our players are representing the program with more class and we have a high-profile head coach who is proud to be here. All we have to do is give Dodge some time to build the program and he will take us places we haven't been since the time of Hayden Fry.

I care if we suck this year.

And on what should be an unrelated note: Stop blaming Dickey already.

Guest Aquila_Viridis

What position did you play in today's game?

I care if we suck this year.

And on what should be an unrelated note: Stop blaming Dickey already.

This isn't Bob Stoops taking over John Blake's loaded Oklahoma team. The cupboard at UNT is bare. Our talent level is on par with Midwestern State and SFA not Troy or FAU. That fault lies with Darrell Dickey. It is Todd Dodge's job to dig us out of that hole. There will have to be some serious turnover on that roster before you will see any improvement on the field.

To those impatient ones.......

When a new coach takes over at any level (even the NFL), he often will sit players that give him a better opportunity to win today, for players that will give him the best chance to succeed in the future.

The exceptions are schools like OU that are constantly retooling instead of rebuilding.

TD is completely rebuilding. He is starting and playing a lot of freshmen. Some of them are true freshmen.

It is true that DD might have been able to squeeze and extra win or two out of this group this season. But, the goal for everyone on this board should be to take the program to the next level. We were not getting there with DD. We do have a chance with TD.

Please, please have patience. The team is rebuilding. Any time there is rebuilding there is usually a step backwards before real progress can be made. Do not mistake this for a lack of progress in the long run.

It's a rough season for everyone. Criticizing the team right now is both premature and unnecessary.

At least we have hope.

I was at the CSU vs UNLV game tonight and the winless Rams rolled into Sin City and steamrolled the Rebels for homecoming. UNLV has won 2 games this year and won 2 last year. They are forgotten young men on the Vegas sports scene. Sanford (Coach) is under fire and the fans are peesed. The team was booed off the field at half after trailing 24 - 3.

What I did notice was a good contingency of Ram fans dressed up in horns, wearing big yellow Texas sized cowboy hats, painted up in green and gold and were rowdy. This coming from a team that had yet to win a game.

Two things:

1. I respect the Ram Nation for still following the team this season. Every time they saw other Ram fans in passing they would yell "RAMpage!" and high five, chant...

2. I am glad we are not UNLV football. That program has a long road ahead of it and they are where we were a year ago without a Todd Dodge on the horizon

Okay 3 things:

3. A storm blew in and there were 50 mph gusts in the stadium all night with sustained winds between 20 - 30 mph. Desert dust and debris swirled all night and pelted the small crowd making it tough to watch the game without your eyes half closed. The storm blew in 5 minutes into the game so a lot of us including myself were unprepared. So I decided on hot chocolate at half and you know you are in Vegas when you can get that cocoa with a shot of Jack Daniel, Kahlua or Bailey's Irish Cream. Viva Las Vegas!

BEAT MTSU

GO MEAN GREEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

So I decided on hot chocolate at half and you know you are in Vegas when you can get that cocoa with a shot of Jack Daniel, Kahlua or Bailey's Irish Cream. Viva Las Vegas!

Amen! Found myself there last week...nothing like booze in everything. First time I ever went there and actually enjoyed it.

(Sorry I didn't call, Bernie...I was with the ol' lady.)

Edited by JayDub

To those impatient ones.......

When a new coach takes over at any level (even the NFL), he often will sit players that give him a better opportunity to win today, for players that will give him the best chance to succeed in the future.

The exceptions are schools like OU that are constantly retooling instead of rebuilding.

TD is completely rebuilding. He is starting and playing a lot of freshmen. Some of them are true freshmen.

It is true that DD might have been able to squeeze and extra win or two out of this group this season. But, the goal for everyone on this board should be to take the program to the next level. We were not getting there with DD. We do have a chance with TD.

Please, please have patience. The team is rebuilding. Any time there is rebuilding there is usually a step backwards before real progress can be made. Do not mistake this for a lack of progress in the long run.

It's a rough season for everyone. Criticizing the team right now is both premature and unnecessary.

THESE ARE THE SAME COMMENTS MADE BY KENTUCKY'S COACH BROOKS. THIS IS SOMEONE WHO HAS BEEN THERE, DONE THAT.

We knew we were in a rebuilding mode. I will continue to come to the games and support the team and watch for improvement - each game and each year.

Me too. We don't get draft picks for sucking, and every single recruit Dodge talks to in the off-season will know about this stinkbomb of a season. We need some wins.

HS recruits do care about winning FB teams BUT: they care about academics, playing time, how they mash with coaches, location.

Todd has the winning reputation which is why we are recruitingwell . With our record, and by Seniors leaving we can insure recruits at many positions will get serious playing time as a freshman. I know of one player who has commited to another school and NT is actively pursing him and he is good enough to get serious playing time at his position on next years, team. See related post to be made later which shows how many freshmen are playing.

Some players want to get out of town, but many more want their parents and friends to be able to see them play. I know one recruit that said...out of state is too far, and (He lives near Houston) but Rice is too close.

THE SKY IS NOT FALLING JUST THE REPUTATION OF SOME POSTERS.

HS recruits do care about winning FB teams BUT: they care about academics, playing time, how they mash with coaches, location.

Unfortunately, I don't think we're going to win many kids that are truly concerned about academics. See Stanford commit, SLC OL Sam Schwartzstein.

Todd has the winning reputation which is why we are recruitingwell .

Agreed.

Legitimate question: How long will Dodge's (high school) winning reputation resonate with recruits before he'll need to duplicate some semblence of that success at the D-1A level in order to lure recruits to UNT?? I say 3-4 years. It's a "what have you done for me lately" environment and four consecutive 2-3 win seasons won't impress top high school talent...regardless of your past successes (unless maybe if you've had Top 10 D-1A success ala JoePa). I really hope we never have to find out the answer to that question because we'll be at or above .500 within the next three years. :)

Unfortunately, I don't think we're going to win many kids that are truly concerned about academics. See Stanford commit, SLC OL Sam Schwartzstein.

Agreed.

Legitimate question: How long will Dodge's (high school) winning reputation resonate with recruits before he'll need to duplicate some semblence of that success at the D-1A level in order to lure recruits to UNT?? I say 3-4 years. It's a "what have you done for me lately" environment and four consecutive 2-3 win seasons won't impress top high school talent...regardless of your past successes (unless maybe if you've had Top 10 D-1A success ala JoePa). I really hope we never have to find out the answer to that question because we'll be at or above .500 within the next three years. :)

I think 3-4 year of playing is about right, in my terms that means this recruiting year when the kids sign in Feb 2008 counts as one. Dodge is a hell of a recruiter just listening to him you get motivated and pumped up. I think we are safe I believe in Dodge he will have it together by 2009.

Don't underestimate the style of play. Kids want to play in a Mizzou, Tech, North Texas, Boise State, Pac 10, Purdue, Louisville type system where you get freedom, numbers and have fun.

Dodge's system will be a recruiting tool for years to come!

J-Dub no problem I was in Denton for the ULM game, but next time let me know and I will get us on the list at Studio 54 and Tabu Ultra Lounge with drinks at Rouge and Centrifuge in between.

Beat the Blue Raiders!

GO MEAN GREEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!