Key To Success

JesseMartin

I've heard in almost every forum imaginable (here, media, bars, etc) that Todd Dodge is such a positive coach, focus on the positives, use bad plays as a chance to coach, but after our performances this year under him...

These boys need to run. Look at the long plays we give up, especially for TD's. More stamina and speed would allow our guys to catch up on the long balls and long runs and make tackles where we haven't yet.

Run before practice. Run during practice. If practice doesn't go so well, run after practice, and, if they lag then, make them run tomorrow morning before their afternoon pre-practice run.

Run, run, run. Lift to gain and retain strength (especially in the off-season), but keep your guys as insane on their feet as is possible.

A lot of our guys have the skill to compete in I-A, but they DO NOT have the conditioning and need to run their freakin' asses off.

So, after all the views, can I assume people only want to comment on coaching as far as play-calling and formations and such?

Am I the ONLY one who thinks that conditioning is the key to help you overreach even your own potential, and beat even those opponents with more talent?

I think you raise a good point. I don't think it explains everything about this season, that is even worse than most of us believed it would be. I think retooling is the operant word. BUT, I do think that conditioning is going to have to play a role in the retooling effort. Clearly, the spread, no huddle offense is great at putting pressure on the other team. But, you know what? It also puts pressure on your team. EVERYONE has to be in better shape, the offense...who will run a BUNCH more plays with less time in between AND the defense who will also be on the field a lot more. So, I think you make a very good point. I don't think the offense or defense is in the physical shape that they need to be in to run this scheme. So, as you said, run the hades out of them. Heck, go old school and tie old tires around their wastes and make them run 40s.

I agree the condition of our players is not where it should be and you can see the difference between plays conditioned for a Dickey offense/defense for 3-4 years and those that have had only 1 year under DD and now 1 year under Dodge's conditioning. Dickeys view of conditioning damn near crippled a player that should be an all-american this year where as Dodge has freshman and sophmores out making plays our veteran players can't because they are too slow and heavy. Look at who our top players this season have been and look at who has been replaced and what class those that are starting in place of them are from. This team is getting younger and younger as the season progresses and its also getting better. Seeing who is out on the field making plays makes me extremely excited for next season. We are going to have a very young and experienced team hitting the field next year and the best part is they won't just be here next year but the year after and for some of them another year after that. The fact that Dodge doesn't start players based on class but based on who is best for the position is an exciting development in Denton for anyone who watched the team under Dickey. If you don't believe me look at last years green team. How many of those guys are starting over upperclassmen this year? This is an exciting time in Mean Green football where the AP polls and BCS games are a dream, but one we can reach instead of the dream being getting back to winning Sun Belt titles. Those will come there is no doubt there.

Anyway sorry to hijack the thread, and yes you are definately on to something with the conditioning.

I've heard in almost every forum imaginable (here, media, bars, etc) that Todd Dodge is such a positive coach, focus on the positives, use bad plays as a chance to coach, but after our performances this year under him...

These boys need to run. Look at the long plays we give up, especially for TD's. More stamina and speed would allow our guys to catch up on the long balls and long runs and make tackles where we haven't yet.

Run before practice. Run during practice. If practice doesn't go so well, run after practice, and, if they lag then, make them run tomorrow morning before their afternoon pre-practice run.

Run, run, run. Lift to gain and retain strength (especially in the off-season), but keep your guys as insane on their feet as is possible.

A lot of our guys have the skill to compete in I-A, but they DO NOT have the conditioning and need to run their freakin' asses off.

To quote Barry Switzer, there is one thing you can't coach and that's speed. And this team doesn't seem to have aq lot of it; especially on the defensive side of the ball. That is obviously why Robertson, and now Penson, are getting more playing time. TD had to insert speed somewhere/somehow.

Condition them all you want; they aren't going to get appreciably faster.

If our defense is going to be on the field for so long, we need them to be able to last until the end. Endurance and conditioning should be the name of the game.

We had the ball longer then Troy, not that it matters.

Sorry, been working a lot, so haven't gotten on in a while.

1) Can't coach speed? Condition more in the offseason? We have a team with one win, and a poor one at that. The season can't be salvaged into a winning one. Why not condition now? Not using it as arrogance, but a case study, I'll use myself as an example. End of junior year in HS, I worked out about 5 hours a day over the summer. Came back in great shape, and wanted to be in better. Ran/lifted 1-2 times a day during the wrestling season, and by about the 6th week was in even better shape, and beat 3 regional medalists in the following month. Fact: If your body is used to HUGE exertion every day, then on game day you WILL have an excess of energy. Instead of using it for what your body expects - 3 or 4 workouts - that energy and conditioning will instead be available for the competition. Run those boys like crazy and let them just have a pre-game warm-up! It'll show.

2) Don't believe in the "too long under Dickey" thing. A couple of good months of heavy conditioning, and the strong-minded competitor who really does give his all is capable of anything. Again, me as an example-my time in the 40 went from a sick 5.3 junior year to a 4.8 senior year to a 4.4 in the last couple years, almost at age 30! And...I never got an athletic scholarship. Pretty sure these guys can do a lot better than I did.

Sorry, been working a lot, so haven't gotten on in a while.

1) Can't coach speed? Condition more in the offseason? We have a team with one win, and a poor one at that. The season can't be salvaged into a winning one. Why not condition now? Not using it as arrogance, but a case study, I'll use myself as an example. End of junior year in HS, I worked out about 5 hours a day over the summer. Came back in great shape, and wanted to be in better. Ran/lifted 1-2 times a day during the wrestling season, and by about the 6th week was in even better shape, and beat 3 regional medalists in the following month. Fact: If your body is used to HUGE exertion every day, then on game day you WILL have an excess of energy. Instead of using it for what your body expects - 3 or 4 workouts - that energy and conditioning will instead be available for the competition. Run those boys like crazy and let them just have a pre-game warm-up! It'll show.

2) Don't believe in the "too long under Dickey" thing. A couple of good months of heavy conditioning, and the strong-minded competitor who really does give his all is capable of anything. Again, me as an example-my time in the 40 went from a sick 5.3 junior year to a 4.8 senior year to a 4.4 in the last couple years, almost at age 30! And...I never got an athletic scholarship. Pretty sure these guys can do a lot better than I did.

I can't get my pants rolled up any higher! :ph34r: