Morbid Curiosity

hickoryhouse

So, i was thinking. What happens when Riley gets here? It seems to me that there are three options.

1. (not likely) DM keeps playing and since we already burned Vizza's red shirt he backs up and Riley is RS

2. RD and Vizza compete for starting spot and we burn RD's Red Shirt leaving us with three QB's and not enought playing time.

3. Red Shirt RD let Vizza play out his tenure here and during his Junior year, Riley's RS freshman year a QB controvery grows.

At this point, do we sit Vizza his Senior year even if he was doing well for us? Presumably that is what is going to happen to DM right?

I hjust am wondering what you guys think.....

At this point, do we sit Vizza his Senior year even if he was doing well for us? Presumably that is what is going to happen to DM right?

If DM sits his Sr Year it will be b/c he did not get the job done after starting for 3 seasons, pure and simple.

So, i was thinking. What happens when Riley gets here? It seems to me that there are three options.

1. (not likely) DM keeps playing and since we already burned Vizza's red shirt he backs up and Riley is RS

2. RD and Vizza compete for starting spot and we burn RD's Red Shirt leaving us with three QB's and not enought playing time.

3. Red Shirt RD let Vizza play out his tenure here and during his Junior year, Riley's RS freshman year a QB controvery grows.

We play the best QB we have. Period. I don't care what his last name is.

2007:

Daniel Meager (Jr)

Gio Vizza (Fr)

2008:

Daniel Meager (Sr)

Gio Vizza (So)

redshirt Riley

2009:

Gio Vizza (Jr)

Riley Dodge (Fr)

2010:

Gio Vizza (Sr)

Riley Dodge (So)

2011:

Riley Dodge (Jr)

whoever (Fr)

2012:

Riley Dodge (Sr)

whoever (So)

It should be 2 years as a backup, then 2 years as a starter.

That scenario is not going to happen. No way a freshman, unless their backing up some stud, (who has the skills) will sit two seasons and not play. Those kind of kids transfer and play AA or even transfer to D-1 and sit out a season, ala Jevan Sneed or Emmanuel Moody.

Agree with you. If Vizza isn't starting by mid-season, he'll have to beat out Maydayger & Mini-Dodge next year. I would not be surprised to see him transfer out. As much as we all "refuse" to acknowledge it, Riley has the upperhand on any QB's next year. Not just from "nepotism", but from his exposure & "mastery" of the Dodge offense.

B)

Edited by Got5onIt

2007:

Daniel Meager (Jr)

Gio Vizza (Fr)

2008:

Daniel Meager (Sr)

Gio Vizza (So)

redshirt Riley

2009:

Gio Vizza (Jr)

Riley Dodge (Fr)

2010:

Gio Vizza (Sr)

Riley Dodge (So)

2011:

Riley Dodge (Jr)

whoever (Fr)

2012:

Riley Dodge (Sr)

whoever (So)

It should be 2 years as a backup, then 2 years as a starter.

That scenario honestly, to me anyway seems to be the best scenario from a development standpoint, minus Meager starting next year. I would love to see RD starting as a junior and again as a senior. We were all so excited to get Vizza and I am still really pumped to have him and the possibility of and eaquallyif not bigger and better talent backing him up for two years before taking over as a seasoned player

Vizza can still redshirt this year.

I've seen a lot of confusion about the redshirt rules recently (not necessarily on this board), so I thought I'd post the redshirt definition.

According to the NCAA:

Redshirt Definition

The term "redshirt" is used to describe a student-athlete who does not participate in competition in a sport for an entire academic year. If you do not compete in a sport the entire academic year, you have not used a season of competition. For example, if you are a qualifier, and you attend a four-year college your freshman year, and you practice but do not compete against outside competition, you would still have the next four years to play four seasons of competition.

Each student is allowed no more than four seasons of competition per sport. If you were not a qualifier, you may have fewer seasons of competition available to you. You should know that NCAA rules indicate that any competition, regardless of time, during a season counts as one of your seasons of competition in that sport. It does not matter how long you were involved in a particular competition (for example, one play in a football game, one point in a volleyball match); you will be charged with one season of competition.

Please contact the certifying institution or conference for additional information. You also may contact the NCAA membership services staff at 317/917-6222 if you have further questions.

By that definition, Vizza is not eligible to redshirt this season. I think it's basically a moot point anyway because I suspect he'll see a lot of PT in the next few weeks.

I've seen a lot of confusion about the redshirt rules recently (not necessarily on this board), so I thought I'd post the redshirt definition.

According to the NCAA:

Redshirt Definition

The term "redshirt" is used to describe a student-athlete who does not participate in competition in a sport for an entire academic year. If you do not compete in a sport the entire academic year, you have not used a season of competition. For example, if you are a qualifier, and you attend a four-year college your freshman year, and you practice but do not compete against outside competition, you would still have the next four years to play four seasons of competition.

Each student is allowed no more than four seasons of competition per sport. If you were not a qualifier, you may have fewer seasons of competition available to you. You should know that NCAA rules indicate that any competition, regardless of time, during a season counts as one of your seasons of competition in that sport. It does not matter how long you were involved in a particular competition (for example, one play in a football game, one point in a volleyball match); you will be charged with one season of competition.

Please contact the certifying institution or conference for additional information. You also may contact the NCAA membership services staff at 317/917-6222 if you have further questions.

By that definition, Vizza is not eligible to redshirt this season. I think it's basically a moot point anyway because I suspect he'll see a lot of PT in the next few weeks.

Yeah, his only Redshirt possibility at this point for this year would be a "Medical Redshirt" if he were somehow injured.

That scenario honestly, to me anyway seems to be the best scenario from a development standpoint, minus Meager starting next year. I would love to see RD starting as a junior and again as a senior. We were all so excited to get Vizza and I am still really pumped to have him and the possibility of and eaquallyif not bigger and better talent backing him up for two years before taking over as a seasoned player

I can see RD backing up Vizza for 2 years, but he won't be holding a clipboard on the sidelines. He's got speed and hands. At Southlake, he was a great 5th WR during his Sophomore year (when he was also backup QB). His ability to pass created some interesting options. A common play was to line him up wide in the backfield, lateral the ball to him, then let him run or pass depending on what the defense gave.

I can see RD backing up Vizza for 2 years, but he won't be holding a clipboard on the sidelines. He's got speed and hands. At Southlake, he was a great 5th WR during his Sophomore year (when he was also backup QB). His ability to pass created some interesting options. A common play was to line him up wide in the backfield, lateral the ball to him, then let him run or pass depending on what the defense gave.

That sounds awesome. Kind of like Kordell Stewart back on the Steelers when he was 'slash'.

Exactly. It's development. "He knows the system blah blah blah." Yeah, I know. And? Didn't Meager rock the shit at Pierce, only to be thrown to the wolves and continue to struggle 3 years later?

How many high school football players play at the collegiate level? I'll guess 20%. And those 20% are the best players. The 2 year overlap gives the recent high school graduate QB time to adjust to the higher level of competition, speed, strength, etc. that collegiate football has over high school/prep football. Do you think Riley played against big/fast defenses like OU's? Maybe in the few state title games, but that's more of an approximate comparison. If anything, I'd encourage him to run track like JQ and trim some time off of his 4.4.

Do you think Riley played against big/fast defenses like OU's? Maybe in the few state title games, but that's more of an approximate comparison. If anything, I'd encourage him to run track like JQ and trim some time off of his 4.4.

Not quite the same, but he has seen his share of D1-bound defensive talent and big game situations. That Miami Northwestern team they played a couple weeks ago was just scary. He got a broken nose in the 3rd qtr and kept playing. He also showed a ton of grit in last year's playoff game against Trinity. Anyone that wants to see the "IT" for winning at the HS level should watch that game. He made several clutch plays in that final go-ahead series when everything was on the line in front of 50K+ folks.

He does run track for Southlake. I think he's on the relay team with some of the receivers.

What has Giovanni Vizza ever done at the college level to warrant so much support on here? Now, I'm not a Meager fan, but if a kid (true freshman or 5th year senior) can't beat out Dan Meager, then I'm leery.

Can't do much from the bench. Just like riley next year, he'll be on the bench and be red shirted with Meager still on campus. Does that mean your leery, Cooley?

TD would never start a true freshman against OU and if he did, he would have faced the possibility that Meager would have transfer right then, so then what we would have backing up Vizza, another freshman.

TD is a smart guy. He'll bring along Vizza slowly and will do the same with Riley. Being leery of a true freshman who did not start the first few games of season is absurd.

AJ Penson did not start, are you leery of him? How about BJ Lewis not starting over Stickler? Lewis has out played Stickler but he isn't starting yet. My opinion is that Dodge from his collegiate experience brings along freshman slowly and cautiously.

Edited by newuntfan07

What has Giovanni Vizza ever done at the college level to warrant so much support on here? Now, I'm not a Meager fan, but if a kid (true freshman or 5th year senior) can't beat out Dan Meager, then I'm leery.

Maybe it wasn't about beating him out that wasn't accomplished, maybe he was neck and neck but just lacked the experience!!!!