Sunday Morning Perspective

EagleMBA

I have slept on it and started viewing other posters' thoughts since I got home last night. For me, it is better to wait awhile and process my thoughts before speaking up. What follows are my observations, made in the context of several years of highs and lows:

1. I have seen all three games so far in the Dodgeball era; the improvement week-to-week has been DRAMATIC. Yeah, there are still some problems with this team but they have come a long way, are to be congratulated, and should hold their heads up. There are nine more opportunities to play this season, maybe ten, and they will never play another down in the past. Learn from your mistakes and get ready for tomorrow!

2. This loss really hurt me personally, leaving me with a feeling unlike the first two. Maybe it is because it was a conference game or maybe because it was winnable that it hurt more. We managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

3. The momentum shift was palpable and when we had opportunities to stop the downward slide we could not. Time after time there were situations where one big play would turn things around and lift the team but they seemed to not have it in them. Give credit to FAU, who has good athletes and challenged us to beat them.

4. DM made mistakes but so did others. His mistakes stand out because he is on the stat sheet; others can make mistakes in annonymity and only be called to account when the coaches review the tapes. Give him your support and know that Coach Dodge's judgment is that he is the best chance we have for victory at this time.

5. I have been through numerous kicks to the nuts from bad losses over the last several years; I have never backed off my support of the team and will not. To those who witnessed yesterday's loss and threaten to not attend the next game...don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out! I'm tightening my chinstrap and getting ready for my next opportunity to win.

Let the opponents enjoy this now because it will be our time soon. And it will be a long run! GO MEAN GREEN !!!

2. This loss really hurt me personally, leaving me with a feeling unlike the first two. Maybe it is because it was a conference game or maybe because it was winnable that it hurt more. We managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

This is the worst part... this hurt just like a Dickey loss (to me). How we lost and who we lost to (now FAU is 2-0 in conference and if we do manage to get on a run in conference... they'll have to lose at least twice for us to pass them) was very demoralizing. The fact that we're almost certainly looking at an 0-4 start... it makes me sad.

5. I have been through numerous kicks to the nuts from bad losses over the last several years; I have never backed off my support of the team and will not. To those who witnessed yesterday's loss and threaten to not attend the next game...don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out! I'm tightening my chinstrap and getting ready for my next opportunity to win.

I don't think anyone here is abandoning the team... All I've read is people expecting other, less passionate fans to be more skeptical about coming back. I can't make it to Arkansas, but I'll be listening (watching, if at all possible) and I still love this team.

But man, do I ever agree that this was a very painful loss.

I haven't read one person that has posted on here that has given up on this team.

Seriously- no one has given up on the team. Some are frustrated with the QB situation, some gave up on the current starter. Some don't like the defensive performance (I liked it yesterday), but no one has said, "Screw NT football."

You'll see all of us at the next home game, and you'll see some of us at the away games. We're just ready to see some wins, and if not wins, then some really close, well played games. Part of it was enduring Dickey Ball and the last two horrible years of it. Part of it is the frustration we had with DM's play in the last few years. A lot of it is knowing that Dodge can and will make the team into something formidable. Unfortunately, the patience some of us (like myself) have isn't wanting to wait until midseason. However, even people like me know that Dodge already has a better team than what Dickey had last year, and we can see major improvements from week to week.

We just want a "W" to show for it.

I didn't really mean to say that our core supporters are going to boycott any games. Sorry if my choice of words left that impression.

After thinking some more on the game (my grieving time is not up yet) it dawned on me that there aren't too many guys left on the roster that know winning at UNT. Once this team tastes victory, they will be harder to beat. We could arguably be 3 -4 going into the Navy game. It could happen. Now pass the lime jello shots! :)

I didn't really mean to say that our core supporters are going to boycott any games. Sorry if my choice of words left that impression.

After thinking some more on the game (my grieving time is not up yet) it dawned on me that there aren't too many guys left on the roster that know winning at UNT. Once this team tastes victory, they will be harder to beat. We could arguably be 3 -4 going into the Navy game. It could happen. Now pass the lime jello shots! :)

Yes, we could be 2 & 1 right now. Some coaches have had banner 1'st years and not too good 2'nd years (Hayden Fry won 2 games his 2'nd year in Mean Green Country).

EagleMBA, I liked your opening thoughts of your thread here. We all hate to lose and that we each & every one have in common. Yet like a fellow alum told me today: "The Mean Green Nation is like one big dysfuncitonal family, but still.............the key thing here is that we're family. We all see success for our school in different ways, but we still all project success for our future in MG Country.

I like the one who is leading our family right now (TDodge) because I have the same hope I used to have many years ago in another era long past. Why do I feel this way now? Can't quite explain why I do, but all anyone has to do with me is act like they enjoy being in Denton, spread the good word on the airwaves that they're happy to be here and that while here they want to improve our situation dramatically and such a person as that has my support and loyalty. Showing a little southern charm and kindness does wonders for many of us in this part of the USA, too.

I personally think our next march thru the Sun Belt Conference is going to be as a Top 25 ranked football program and I also think we will start drawing impressive crowds regularly that will show us all just the kind of football they will support; of course, that group will all mostly be new faces because right now they are still on the fence on all this Mean Green football business--but IMHO...............they will not be on this fence for long.

Lets enjoy the journey we all find ourselves at this time--detours and all. Might make us appreciate our eventual destination even more and one that we call can hope will be one that not one from any era has ever witnessed before in Mean Green Country and why not...........don't we each & every one deserve it?

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen