All I Have To Say Is...

THEBandMan

I've heard nothing but great things about the band last night. Keep it up, Dr. Nick!

Wait a tick...Dr. Nick?

drnick.gif

The green tee-shirts looked much much better, I still think the hodge-podge of shades, lengths, and designs of shorts looks pretty damn tacky.

Shirts looked better this week. Shorts of all shades and styles leaves something to be desired. My question is for 2 straight weeks the home team's band managed to be in full uniform, why can't we wear ours? I understand the safety issue raised last week, so am I to believe OU & SMU don't care about their students!?

Shirts looked better this week. Shorts of all shades and styles leaves something to be desired. My question is for 2 straight weeks the home team's band managed to be in full uniform, why can't we wear ours? I understand the safety issue raised last week, so am I to believe OU & SMU don't care about their students!?

The SMU (Mr. Peppermint) Band Uniforms are not made of wool.

If any of you were paying attention, our Band absolutely kicked ass...as they usually do. I wasn't looking at their shorts. I was paying attention to their musical performance, as well as their marching performance.

This version of the GB, not only plays just as well as any of the previous versions, they TOTALLY TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR PROMOTING SPIRIT AT THE GAME.

Something that many of the previous versions of the GB did not do....most notably the Dr. Winslow-led versions.

You know, a well respected Civil war historian once noted that if Stonewall Jackson's troops had been walking around the streets of New York City, because of the way they were dressed, they would have been picked up for vagrancy. But there was no finer fighting force during the Civil war than Jackson's troops.

If any of you want the shorts to match better, then send a check to whoever is in charge of the funding for the Band.

The SMU (Mr. Peppermint) Band Uniforms are not made of wool.

If any of you were paying attention, our Band absolutely kicked ass...as they usually do. I wasn't looking at their shorts. I was paying attention to their musical performance, as well as their marching performance.

This version of the GB, not only plays just as well as any of the previous versions, they TOTALLY TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR PROMOTING SPIRIT AT THE GAME.

Something that many of the previous versions of the GB did not do....most notably the Dr. Winslow-led versions.

You know, a well respected Civil war historian once noted that if Stonewall Jackson's troops had been walking around the streets of New York City, because of the way they were dressed, they would have been picked up for vagrancy. But there was no finer fighting force during the Civil war than Jackson's troops.

If any of you want the shorts to match better, then send a check to whoever is in charge of the funding for the Band.

What? Guerrilla soldiers compared to a marching band?

A marching band is as much about their visual presentation as they are about their music. I love the band and think they do a great job. But tacky is still tacky.

Edited by KingDL1

The Green Brigade was outstanding this week.

The green polo shirts looked great.

The Brigade played to the North Texas side instead of facing the empty home field side.

The music selection was good and presentation was far superior to the tinny Fiddler on the Roof dribble provided by the Smoo Kazoo Crew.

The weather was incredibly muggy; still 96 degrees and very humid at 11pm. I am happy that the director had the foresight to have the Brigade wear the shorts outfit.

What? Guerrilla soldiers compared to a marching band?

A marching band is as much about their visual presentation as they are about their music. I love the band and think they do a great job. But tacky is still tacky.

No, they were the regular troops.

Tell you what. You watch the well-dressed-but-ordinary-playing-SMU-like bands, and I'll take the GB just the way they are.

Besides, one could argue that the Band is (gear wise) just a reflection of the fan base. Even at the Aug 4th kick-off gathering, which was attended by the most loyal North Texas fans, someone wandering in off the street would never have been able to guess what the event was just based on how much green was being worn.......or not worn.

There was a sea of green last night, but it was still very patchy. And just about every shade imaginable.

Again, I invite anyone picking at the shorts that the GB was wearing to write a check and send it to the GB band fund. I would also ask the same person if they've worn green at every North Texas event.

The band looked fantastic in green shirts! I wish I could have heard them even more over the broadcast and on the internet, but I will save that joy for the 22nd.

We are moving towards our general destination of listening to each other. Am I a bad fan because I saw the various shorts on the screen during halftime and thought - wow wish those could compliment the rest of the summer wearing outfit? I too thought about the other bands that continue to be uniformed and are we going to have to wait until October for the days to cool before we look like a uniformed collegiate band? South Florida in Auburn last night was in their unis. Our foes have been in their uniforms, Hawaii in the middle of the freaking tropics and down by the equator wear a modified version of their uni (pants in the stands and white T then put on their full gear when they hit the field.) I guess I just want EVERYTHING to communicate first class, unity, college pageantry.

Now, off the soapbox and back to problem resolution. If the band needs new shirts and matching shorts, why do we not hear about this until September 1st? I keep hearing about send a check to the band fund, well I would gladly contribute to projects like this, but this needs to begin happening in May! We have always done so many things last minute at UNT and we have got to become more proactive. This is part of our evolution process as a fanbase, as an atheltic department, as a music school, as an alumni organization. The team is putting in work to evolve and refine itself. We need to keep working on our project development, learn how to reach out for help, bring in outside feedback (the breakfast of champions) and organize drives to make things happen.

We all care about UNT - everything about UNT and we simply need some organization to make things happen. Watch the floodgates of money would open if next year the Green Brigade tells us in March how to donate to their September uni drive. But unlike the past where we would just throw money at UNT and hope things would change, show us some mocks and allow us some input (can you hear me brand team?) That is how you get buy in and commitment, and oh yeah keep the support coming.

All in all thank you GB for blowing the SMU band away. Thank you for the matching green shirts. You all are one of my highlights when I go to the game, and my return to Fouts in a couple of weeks will be a first since 2004. Keep up the great work!

GO MEAN GREEN BRIGADE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Green Brigade looked great (loved the caps) and sounded even better! Was also very impressed with the drumline outside the stadium before the game. Our UNT dancers are real dancers, not some hs drill team (and I am a former drill team mom). Great halftime performances from all!

GMG!

Edited by NTEdgex2

I do not doubt quality of the music and marching performance. Not many bands compete with us musically. I still think presentation (visual) is important.

I agree, let us know about this in May so we can raise some money. I would love to stroke a check for new shorts, unfortunately I don't have that type of cash.

I did notice the color difference for khakis, but probably because I was looking for it. I'm not sure who else did.

Polos looked snazzy. Hats were great. Also liked the slide covers for the 'bones.

Great DCI level sound from the brass. So good it re-parted my hair. :)

The Green Brigade was outstanding this week.

The green polo shirts looked great.

The Brigade played to the North Texas side instead of facing the empty home field side.

The music selection was good and presentation was far superior to the tinny Fiddler on the Roof dribble provided by the Smoo Kazoo Crew.

The weather was incredibly muggy; still 96 degrees and very humid at 11pm. I am happy that the director had the foresight to have the Brigade wear the shorts outfit.

Completely agree. I also appreciate our band not stooping to their bands' level of chanting that the other school sux! Up on campus the Mr Peppermints were doing a "North Texas Sux!" chant at the north end of the blvd with families, children included, surrounding them having to watch such a classless display. If I were an SMU alumnus and took the universities' invite to bring my family to the tailgating event I would be formally complaining. It later continued in the stands.

Rick

I do not doubt quality of the music and marching performance. Not many bands compete with us musically. I still think presentation (visual) is important.

I agree, let us know about this in May so we can raise some money. I would love to stroke a check for new shorts, unfortunately I don't have that type of cash.

Some people are fooling themselves if you are believing the fact that the UNT, the School of Music at North Texas, one of the top 3 programs in the entire country, can't aford the money to make their marching band all look the same. That is an EXCUSE by the Music department that to support the way they look. Think about this, fans make posts about how bad it was at OU, the band director comes on to defense, and then magically, the same group that had NO money before last week, was able to pull it together enough to hopefully "please" the masses? Come on guys....please. I can assure you, the School of Music at North Texas has the money if they want to spend it.

That being said, I thought what they wore last night was okay. Yes they sound awesome, but presentation as KingDL1 said, is very much a part of it. How would you like it if our football team, worried about the heat or whatever reason the band has given, showed up in non-matching uniforms?

Completely agree. I also appreciate our band not stooping to their bands' level of chanting that the other school sux! Up on campus the Mr Peppermints were doing a "North Texas Sux!" chant at the north end of the blvd with families, children included, surrounding them having to watch such a classless display. If I were an SMU alumnus and took the universities' invite to bring my family to the tailgating event I would be formally complaining. It later continued in the stands.

Rick

For a college with a pretty good music school, SMU fields a pathetic marching band. Their unis, even when worn in full, are silly. Their marching style is 25 years out of date. Their presentation is not engaging. And their musicality really is sub-collegiate, even sub-5A.

Our band has every reason to be proud. Continuing to gripe about the shorts is a sign of overwhelming negativity. Time to stop and smell the roses, folks.

For a college with a pretty good music school, SMU fields a pathetic marching band. Their unis, even when worn in full, are silly. Their marching style is 25 years out of date. Their presentation is not engaging. And their musicality really is sub-collegiate, even sub-5A.

Our band has every reason to be proud. Continuing to gripe about the shorts is a sign of overwhelming negativity. Time to stop and smell the roses, folks.

So wanting to band to look as great as they sound is negative!? I am not sure I understand that line of thought... Just to make sure, wanting better is negative. Okay, got it.

I disagree that it is complete over the top negativity. When you are building a brand and changing a culture you must train the eyes to see the details. Isn't that what we are trying to do with our new shade of green, new logo, new slogans...The other thing you must realize when building a brand is that everything communicates and EVERYTHING is either ON BRAND or OFF BRAND. There is no grey area when you are sculpting a culture. The shirts were very much on brand yesterday (the distant shot from the stands at halftime looked GREAT). The shorts are OFF BRAND. There is nothing else that you can say about it because everything communicates in a first class brand experience. The band shorts on the internet in the close up shops took away from the brand.

Think about a trip to Starbucks. You don't hear hard rock music or disco, you hear starbucks music which is carefully selected to enhance the sense of sound during your trip in or lounge in the cafe. Every detail is looked at, every sense it touched. We pulled off some great branding yesterday, and in a first class branding experience you also call out the OFF BRAND tips you need to pull together. It is not beitching, it is refining and our band has come soooooooooooo far and definitely in the right direction with their music, look, support and leadership. They are highly visible and represent one of the largest universities in the Southwest. They are going to be scrutinized. Look at how Texas pulls everything together with their Western theme and branding effort. They have been at it a long time and we are just beginning.

Kudos to all you UNT Brand Culture experts out there - constant refinement will have us in a very special place very soon!

GMG

I disagree that it is complete over the top negativity. When you are building a brand and changing a culture you must train the eyes to see the details. Isn't that what we are trying to do with our new shade of green, new logo, new slogans...The other thing you must realize when building a brand is that everything communicates and EVERYTHING is either ON BRAND or OFF BRAND. There is no grey area when you are sculpting a culture. The shirts were very much on brand yesterday (the distant shot from the stands at halftime looked GREAT). The shorts are OFF BRAND. There is nothing else that you can say about it because everything communicates in a first class brand experience. The band shorts on the internet in the close up shops took away from the brand.

Think about a trip to Starbucks. You don't hear hard rock music or disco, you hear starbucks music which is carefully selected to enhance the sense of sound during your trip in or lounge in the cafe. Every detail is looked at, every sense it touched. We pulled off some great branding yesterday, and in a first class branding experience you also call out the OFF BRAND tips you need to pull together. It is not beitching, it is refining and our band has come soooooooooooo far and definitely in the right direction with their music, look, support and leadership. They are highly visible and represent one of the largest universities in the Southwest. They are going to be scrutinized. Look at how Texas pulls everything together with their Western theme and branding effort. They have been at it a long time and we are just beginning.

Kudos to all you UNT Brand Culture experts out there - constant refinement will have us in a very special place very soon!

GMG

Well said.

As "The Biggest Jerk on this board" who started the band looks like... thread for the last two years I have to pipe in on the look last night.

They looked much much better last night. With the matching green shirts the off shade shorts were much less noticeable. I made the comment to my friends as we were in the stands last night that I was going to have to post that the band looked good. And as I posted last week they sounded good as well.

Yes, I wish the shorts matched, (and I do not see why the professor in charge of the class can not require a certain brand, style, and model number as part of the requirements of the class; kind of like I am required to buy a certain author, volume, and printing on a text book. Hell, shorts cost much less that that lab book, but I digress) with the band all in the same shirts they looked good.

For those of you that thought I was such a jerk last week, you have to admit that the band looked so much better last night.