Unt At New Mexico State

NuMexAg

NMSU just announced a change in our BB schedule - UNT will play in the Lou Henson Classic in early December in Las Cruces. Previously Savannah State had been scheduled, so the Mean Green are a very nice upgrade. Any word on whether there will be a return game in Denton in '08 or '09? I would love to have us re-start this rivalry.

Edited by NuMexAg

Thanks for the info. Is the Lou Henson Classic a tournament........or is it just one game?

Anyway, as far as I can tell, our OOC schedule thus far includes:

Centenary and Okie State at home.

Texas, NMSU, and UTA on the road.

4 team tournament I believe. The other team is Chicago State.

Below is a cut and paste from NMSU BB web site:

[The Aggies return home to host the second annual Lou Henson Classic at the Pan American Center (Nov. 30-Dec. 1). NMSU opens play against Chicago State at 9:00 p.m. while Savannah State plays Western New Mexico in round one at 6:30 p.m. The Aggies are 3-0 all-time versus Chicago State, including a home-and-home sweep of the Cougars a year ago.

Day two of the classic sees NMSU host Savannah State at 8:30 p.m. while Western New Mexico and Chicago State play at 6:00 p.m. The meeting between NMSU and Savannah State, which went 12-18 last season, is the first on the hardwood for the two schools.]

Since NT is replacing Savannah State, it looks like NT plays Div II Western New Mexico on Nov 30 and New Mexico State on Dec 1.

Edited by Buford_Julep

I thought that Rice was coming here this year.

I think you may be right....just haven't seen anything official on that. But based on last year's schedule, we probably will have a home game with them, and an away game at Texas State. But, once again....nothing official on those two.

Needless to say, this is already a lot more attractive schedule than last year's.

Thanks for the info. Is the Lou Henson Classic a tournament........or is it just one game?

Anyway, as far as I can tell, our OOC schedule thus far includes:

Centenary and Okie State at home.

Texas, NMSU, and UTA on the road.

Add Rice to this and we have NICE OOC schedule taking shape!!

Has any of the area schools seriously campaigned for an early season tournament featuring UNT, SMU, TCU & UTA? Throw in a kickoff game between a Dallas & Ft. Worth area high school powerhouse. You could run this series for 3 years at UNT, SMU & TCU. (Sorry UTA)

Anyway, seems like there would be a great deal of interest opposed to some of the non-conference games and tournaments they currently play. I guess it make too much sense, so it will never happen.

Has any of the area schools seriously campaigned for an early season tournament featuring UNT, SMU, TCU & UTA? Throw in a kickoff game between a Dallas & Ft. Worth area high school powerhouse. You could run this series for 3 years at UNT, SMU & TCU. (Sorry UTA)

Anyway, seems like there would be a great deal of interest opposed to some of the non-conference games and tournaments they currently play. I guess it make too much sense, so it will never happen.

I think this is a great idea...however, lack of area schools common sense aside...I think that most if not all of these four team tourneys that schools host typically feature out of town schools that you wouldn't naturally schedule. I believe UNT won a tourney in Tennessee a few years back. Logic seems to point that SMU, UTA and TCU should be on your regular schedule...but that word is logic <_<

I would love to see us hook up with the Missouri Valley Conference for a MVC/SBC series like the ACC and Big 10 do every year. It seems we competed with Wichita St. for every one of our recruits this year...and the MVC should be what the SBC is shooting for in terms of national respect. Don't see much motivation for the MVC to do it though.

We've been playing TCU and Texas Wesleyan every year for quite a while. That's logic. Cross-county opponents. Glad to see UNT as a part of that last year and this year. Hope it continues. Easy on travel budgets and gets a little extra attention from fans and media. (Haven't seen SMU on our men's schedule since the last ice age.)

As I said before...SMU hates losing to us. I can't imagine how much they must hate the idea of losing to UTA. No wonder they won't schedule you.

Probably right.

Of SMU and TCU (and speaking sports-wise), we seem to have little relationship with SMU and a pretty good one with TCU. And, part of it is geography, I'm sure. We regularly play TCU in men's basketball, baseball, and volleyball, and probably some other sports such as tennis and golf. Frankly, SMU just doesn't come to mind very much. There is something about that Tarrant County/Dallas County line. That partly explains why the Dallas crowd is smarting so much about the Cowboys moving over here.