We're In Trouble Now...

emmitt01

From the phony board:

Bennett did not get a contract extension last fall, he was told that he could keep his job. Given that, I suspect that many recruits are taking a wait and see approach to SMU. They are either making verbals with the idea of changing those if Bennett is retained, or not making any committment at all. Many schools will press for a verbal to hold the slot open. So in order to keep options open, some may verbal elsewhere, while asking Bennett to hold open their slot.

So this is why SMUt hasn't secured any verbals. The state top 100 are just waiting to see if Phil Bennett sticks around so that they can decommit and go to the powerhouse that is SMUt. I can see the conversation now:

PB- You're the best running back in the state. How about coming to SMU?

Recruit- You know it's always been my dream to play for SMU, but I don't know if you're gonna be there next year coach.

PB- Oh I will. I've been tanking for the last few years just to give my opponents false hope Trojan horse style.

Recruit- Boy am I glad to hear that. I've had to hold off Mack Brown, Fran, Bob Stoops and half of the SEC. I verbaled to Texas Tech just so that I'd be sure to have a home. It's always been my intention to decommit and play for the ponies. If you're fired Philly (yeah, they're that close) I just don't know what I'd do!

PB- Don't worry kid. We'll show them. We'll show them all!

After beginning the season 0-2, I really thought they held it together and played some good football. That Justin Willis is a stud and if they stick to a set and right game plan, the next 3 yrs for SMU football can really see some prosperous days. Imagine in 2-3 yrs if all goes well you will have TCU a usually top 25 school and SMU and UNT making their way up into a mid level and above football schools and that would be great for the area and and would make a big hit on other schools in the state including the big 12.

After beginning the season 0-2, I really thought they held it together and played some good football. That Justin Willis is a stud and if they stick to a set and right game plan, the next 3 yrs for SMU football can really see some prosperous days. Imagine in 2-3 yrs if all goes well you will have TCU a usually top 25 school and SMU and UNT making their way up into a mid level and above football schools and that would be great for the area and and would make a big hit on other schools in the state including the big 12.

finally some sense on the subject. SMU should have a pretty decent team this year and Justin will only be better with a year's experience. Anybody who thinks that the SMU game will be anything but tough for us is wearing a pretty serious shade of green glasses and mine are pretty green. Can we beat them? Sure. Can they beat us? Sure. It will be a tough game.

finally some sense on the subject. SMU should have a pretty decent team this year and Justin will only be better with a year's experience. Anybody who thinks that the SMU game will be anything but tough for us is wearing a pretty serious shade of green glasses and mine are pretty green. Can we beat them? Sure. Can they beat us? Sure. It will be a tough game.

Agreed. This should prove to be the most entertaining and tightly contested game UNT has been a part of in a while (FIU 7OT game excluded...shudder). I believe that Emmitt agrees with this sentiment...but the point he was making shouldn't be overlooked. The only way anybody is taking a "wait and see" approach to whether or not Bennett is keeping his job is if they're waiting to see if Joe Paterno is named his replacement. The Financial Institute of Dallas realizes they compete with UNT and Papa Todd (only way I will refer to coach now) for recruits and they are getting lapped. I think most legit SMU fans are nervous and don't feel that the top talent in Texas wants to come to SMU...just a few arrogant idiots on their board...wish they could be more like the Tulsa board, but then we wouldn't have fuel for our "SMU Rivalry <_< " fire.