Nt Vs Ou

adman

Now a somewhat serious answer to the original post. Nothing. Stoops has built up a lot of capital and a second non-BCS loss in a row would cost him some but he would not be in trouble...he just better not lose to OSU! There are lots of ways to rationalize a first-game loss and, in theory, it could happen. I think there is a higher probability that pigs will fly out of various orifices of my body than we will outscore OU on 9/1.

What I want to see is a team that represents us well; a team that has attitude, executes, and believes it belongs on the field in Norman. Our poorer showings in the past against the big boys, IMHO, have had more to do with the mental game than the physical game. It is too much to ask of TD and his staff for this team to play an error-free game right out of the box. It ain't gonna happen (a win), but I plan to be there to support them unconditionally. I believe that some day before I die, if I go on enough road trips, the Mean Green will eventually shock the world; I want to witness and savor it. I believe that the odds improved greatly with TD now at the helm.

I think Bob Stoops will not be in trouble this year on our account, as much as I would want it to be otherwise.

What would happen to Stoops? Nothing. I am sure he would catch heat from all the

big $$$ supporters, but, that would be it. Media, mainly "How in the hell did this happen?"

stories. Explainations-trick plays, fluke win, lucky SOB's, and NT got all the breaks.

It still comes down to this- there are 11 guys on each side of the field. Strange things have

always happened in college ball and pro ball.

I beleive NT will do better in this game than the Texas performance last year.

Texas blitzed 2 CB's and different combinations of blitz packages with the LB's

on every play last year. The DD offense got creamed.

Oklahoma-well, maybe-just maybe- there will be a way to avoid the OU d-rush

and produce positive plays. Coach Dodge said if a opponet does this, we will do that.

The real battle will be the NT O-line and D-line play. Can our guys give protection

to our QB? Can our D-line get to the OU QB to disrupte their offense?

Looks like we will just have to wait and see.

Now a somewhat serious answer to the original post. Nothing. Stoops has built up a lot of capital and a second non-BCS loss in a row would cost him some but he would not be in trouble...he just better not lose to OSU! There are lots of ways to rationalize a first-game loss and, in theory, it could happen. I think there is a higher probability that pigs will fly out of various orifices of my body than we will outscore OU on 9/1.

What I want to see is a team that represents us well; a team that has attitude, executes, and believes it belongs on the field in Norman. Our poorer showings in the past against the big boys, IMHO, have had more to do with the mental game than the physical game. It is too much to ask of TD and his staff for this team to play an error-free game right out of the box. It ain't gonna happen (a win), but I plan to be there to support them unconditionally. I believe that some day before I die, if I go on enough road trips, the Mean Green will eventually shock the world; I want to witness and savor it. I believe that the odds improved greatly with TD now at the helm.

I think Bob Stoops will not be in trouble this year on our account, as much as I would want it to be otherwise.

I dunno. Honestly, would his job be jeopardy if he lost just to UNT? True, probably not. But if he lost to OSU AND UNT, or I'd even say if he lost to OSU and UNT kept it a very close game, and they end up not getting to a Bowl, then yes, I'd say he'd be in a bit of trouble. That scenario would probably not be considered acceptable by the OU A.D. So as much as their fans like to trash UNT, they're kidding themselves if there's no effect if UNT performs well in that game.

Lake Texoma would boil, the earth would crack along the Red River, and most of the state of Texas would break off and drift into the Gulf of Mexico, landing somewhere around the upper Yucatan.

Don't forget to mention the inevitable ice storm in hell which will shortly follow the landing in the Yucatan.

:lol:

O-Used wins 45-20, but North Texas shows the nation that the spread-offense works... even when the talent level is a mis-match. (Bob Stoops is a class act and will call off the dogs at 38 points...unlike the schmuck down in Austin) I think we have some issues to address on defense, but I like the move back to the 4-3. Aaron Weathers and Dominique Green will have their hands full unless we get a pass-rush this year. I think having four down-linemen helps us there.

We'll see soon enough... Bring on the Sooners, and the terrential down-pour we always get when we are there....hehe

GMG!!! :)

Stoops will be fine. Unless he loses to UT and OSU for the next 2-3 years running, he'll be fine. I think OU stands alone in their BCS accomplishments since that system was formed...they have made BCS bowls 3 out of 5 years (or is it 4 out of 6?). Even with all the hype around Urban Meyer and Charlie Weiss, I still think that Stoops is the top coach in the country.

As far as how our game with them will go: on paper, it's a blowout. The one thing you have to give DD is that he tried to run the clock out and didn't give those teams enough possessions to really run the score up---at least that's how it went down in his first 6 seasons. If TD is as good a coach as we all hope he is, he'll have to find ways to keep the clock running and limit OU's possessions as well. 3 and outs will get us slaughtered. The scariest part of this game is how our biggest question marks play into OU's biggest strengths. They may have the best secondary in the Big 12 to counter our inexperienced WRs....and their WRs (M. Kelly is a stud) will give our secondary big problems.

I do wonder what their psyche is going to be like coming into this game...you have to think that they will be ready to snuff out trick plays after what BSU did to them. But what if we hit a big one on them early? Maybe puts them back on their heels a bit??

The other thing to consider is that the last time we changed HFCs Dickey's first game was against OU in Norman. We drove straight down the field on our first drive to take the lead and didn't give it up until a minute before halftime. In the second half we wore down, but we had only been I-A for 3 years in '98. We are deeper now than we were then.

Edited by TIgreen01

O-Used wins 45-20, but North Texas shows the nation that the spread-offense works... even when the talent level is a mis-match. (Bob Stoops is a class act and will call off the dogs at 38 points...unlike the schmuck down in Austin) I think we have some issues to address on defense, but I like the move back to the 4-3. Aaron Weathers and Dominique Green will have their hands full unless we get a pass-rush this year. I think having four down-linemen helps us there.

We'll see soon enough... Bring on the Sooners, and the terrential down-pour we always get when we are there....hehe

GMG!!! :)

I hope NT can score that many points.