Dallas Cowboys Head Coach Wade Phillips

WIFE2HOT4U

08:02 AM CDT on Wednesday, June 20, 2007

By Brett Vito / Staff Writer

North Texas will work out at Darrell R. Dickey Football Practice Facility next season after all.

The sign beside the school’s practice fields that was left partially blank for the last several months had Dickey’s name added Tuesday morning, ending months’ of debate over how the facility would be named after the Mean Green’s former head coach was fired Nov. 8.

DRC/Gary Payne

North Texas officials unveiled a brick sign Tuesday naming the school's football practice fields after former coach Darrell Dickey, who was fired in November.

The fields were originally to be named after UNT letterman and Houston businessman Jim McIngvale, who donated $1 million toward the construction of the Mean Green Athletic Center in 2004.

McIngvale said at the time that he made the donation because of his respect for what Dickey had accomplished while leading the Mean Green to four straight Sun Belt Conference titles from 2001-04.

Dickey was fired less than two years later during the second of consecutive losing seasons, a move McIngvale criticized. He later demanded that UNT rename the fields after Dickey or redirect his donation to the school’s One O’clock Lab Band.

UNT’s Board of Regents voted to name the fields after Dickey before the former coach stepped in and asked that they be named after former Mean Green quarterback Andrew Smith, who died in a car accident prior to the 2004 season.

McIngvale backed Dickey’s request.

“That [naming the fields after Dickey] was what was presented to the board and that is what we are going to put on the sign,” UNT athletic director Rick Villarreal said. “Darrell did a great job and left a lot of great memories here. He made an impression on a booster who was moved to donate that money. It was great for Mr. McIngvale to do that.”

Dickey has since landed a job as the offensive coordinator at Utah State and could not be reached for comment. He finished with a 42-64 record at UNT, including a 5-18 mark in his last two campaigns.

“I think it’s great,” McIngvale said. “Coach Dickey gave a lot to the university and did a lot for the football program. It’s best for everyone involved.”

Briefly …

Dallas Cowboys head coach Wade Phillips stopped by UNT on Tuesday during a camp being conducted by new Mean Green head coach Todd Dodge.

Anyone know what camp it was TD was conducting?

Place-kick Holding : The Physics of Holding Onto The Football

From what I understand, it's an exhaustive, week-long look at the importance of holding onto the football in big games, specifically how to get your guys to use otherwise controversial forces like friction to their advantage... Not sure why the Cowboys coach would be interested in something like that...

From what I understand, it's an exhaustive, week-long look at the importance of holding onto the football in big games, specifically how to get your guys to use otherwise controversial forces like friction to their advantage... Not sure why the Cowboys coach would be interested in something like that...

Sigh.

Texans are arguably replacing the Cardinals as the worst-run franchise in the NFL.

Sigh.

What other VIP's have visted with Coach Dodge since his arrival to North Texas?

Can you name any other VIP's ?

Seems like I remember other VIP's that visited during spring training-

Was it Mean Joe Green?

Let' make a list-

President Bush

Hayden Fry

Wade PHillips

Actually I believe they were looking at the New Practice Fields and might consider using UNT for training camp....

Just hope the same outcome doesnt occur for the Cowboys as it did for the MAVS

The Cowboys have a contract to hold training camp at the Alamo Dome in San Antonio through 2011.

Unless I am mistaken, I once saw a professional basketball player miss a free throw. Believe it or not.