Does Suspending Arrested Players Send An Inappropriate Message?

What is the reasoning behind a school suspending a player because he is charged? I know it seems ridiculous to speculate, but I would think this reinforces the idea that a player is guilty until proven innocent. Some good and bad things come to mind:

1. The school wants to prepare the team in a manner that anticipates the loss of that respective player. i.e., don't want to practice with a QB who might not be there when the season rolls around.

2. What message does this send to the player? If the charges are made, and he is completely cleared, imagine the relationship between him and the coaches when he returns.

In the words of Quoner, further "down the offseason rabbit hole" I go.

One message I hope it sends to players is "Don't get yourself in those situations." That should cover just about any legal situation.

Any high school student knows (or should know) that you don't take money for athletic participation to college. There are a lot of grey areas for current and future student athletes. If in doubt, you consult one of the many resources available such as coaches and the NCAA Compliance office (local counsel that evaluates the situation and can determine if the action will be an NCAA violation).

Common sense says “if you think it is wrong, it probably is.” Kids who lack a “moral compass” need to learn a lot more then Xs and Os.

The student athlete is held to a higher standard (right or wrong). They are under the spotlight because of their talent. They have to be better at doing what is right

I think the message is entirely correct. Unless there's a gross misstep in the justice system, then I think we won't have to worry about wrong charges.

To the players, it says, "Don't get in those kind of situations, you're an athlete, and if you're an athlete on scholarship, then someone else is paying your way through college, and you have a responsibility to those people to NOT misuse the opportunity. If you have to ask if it's 'okay' or 'legal', it's probably not. Rather to be safe than scholarship-less."

In the words of Quoner, further "down the offseason rabbit hole" I go.

No - because this topic is new, unique and interesting.

I agree with the last comment - they should be held to a higher standard because they are football players. A relative who played for an ACC school (to be named later) in the 1960s always bemoaned the lack of freedom and curfews they exchanged for a right to play. It wasn't a gateway to just do whatever the hell he wanted all the time.

Some sort of consequence has to be there - because there hasn't been one in many programs for years.

It's about protecting the school and the students. If a player/student is charged with rape or some other violent crime, does it make sense to let a potentially dangerous person walk around campus and participate in athletics until a trial, which could be a year or two later?

Sadly, there are innocent people who get put through the judicial ringer like those boys out at Duke. But the potential liability and danger to others outweighs a student's privilege of playing sports.

There are consequences to actions....being in the wrong place at the wrong time can bring consequences and making the wrong decision can bring consequences. It seems today that taking responsibility for one's own actions is rare. Today it appears with lots of folks that they are "entitled" to do what they want because they have some form of celeb status. That goes for college athletes too....if you play college sports you represent your school...you have a responsibility to act properly and that means not placing yourself in situations where "trouble comes looking for you"....Life "ain't" fair and you don't "get" respect, you earn it! Get real here folks, it is not a "right" to play college sports. Get in a situation...convicted or accused...and you just might find yourself suspended until it is all sorted out.

Just as a point of reference, my kid played for one of the service academies, and the team rules were even tougher than for the rest of the academy population. You want to play at the academy...you darn well better follow the rules...no excuses! Seemed to me that it taught my son a great deal about living up to your responsibilities. Yep, he was an athlete, but because he was, he was expected to represent his academy in a positive way AT ALL TIMES! Seems fair to me.