Will Anyone Ever Win The Sun Belt Fb Crown

Harry

Looking at the Troy's, MTSU's and now powerhouse IAA Western Kentucky I beg the question, will anyone ever be able to repeat the 4 straight conference championship run? Bottomline, the Sun Belt is getting better. It has some good young coaches (Stockstill, Shannon, Dodge) some coaches with skins on the wall (Blakeny and Schnelly). I don't see it happening again. I think a 2-year outright run will prove difficult.

Looking at the Troy's, MTSU's and now powerhouse IAA Western Kentucky I beg the question, will anyone ever be able to repeat the 4 straight conference championship run? Bottomline, the Sun Belt is getting better. It has some good young coaches (Stockstill, Shannon, Dodge) some coaches with skins on the wall (Blakeny and Schnelly). I don't see it happening again. I think a 2-year outright run will prove difficult.

No. What we had those four years was special. The collection of talent in Booger, Awasom, Buckles, Spencer, Casey, Kassell, Hurd, Pruitt, Cardwell, etc on defense was one that I don't think you'll see for a long time to come. That defense combined with an offensive line that understood the Dickey offense (and was healthy enough to run it) was an anomaly in today's Belt. I think Troy could repeat this year but I don't see a 4-peat as possible.

I don't think it will happen anytime soon. The talent level in the Belt has increased across the board. The T.V. exposure from the NO Bowl & the upsets of big conference opponents will continue to keep the league very competiive, IMO.

Depends on who is counting. MTSU has NEVER won it on the field (where you seperate pretenders and contenders), but yet they claim two, yes TWO Fb championships.

If we let MUTS do the counting they'd claim it every year, they already believe they are the class of the Sun Belt without the virture of actually winning anything!

No. What we had those four years was special. The collection of talent in Booger, Awasom, Buckles, Spencer, Casey, Kassell, Hurd, Pruitt, Cardwell, etc on defense was one that I don't think you'll see for a long time to come. That defense combined with an offensive line that understood the Dickey offense (and was healthy enough to run it) was an anomaly in today's Belt. I think Troy could repeat this year but I don't see a 4-peat as possible.

And that's probably a good thing.......for the conference, that is. Keeps it interesting for everyone. Sure did get boring for us in Murfreesboro when you were kicking our tails for all of those years :blink:

Blue Raider Zone Scout Forums

logo.gif

Depends on who is counting. MTSU has NEVER won it on the field (where you seperate pretenders and contenders), but yet they claim two, yes TWO Fb championships.

If we let MUTS do the counting they'd claim it every year, they already believe they are the class of the Sun Belt without the virture of actually winning anything!

Wikipedia gives'm both as well.

---Four straight years will become much tougher as the league improves overall -- and it is. I do expect us to be even better in the near future than we were when we won the four straight years and with better talent (teamwise).... the problem is so will the rest of the Belt. This year is a complete mystery to me... we should win more than last year but not do that great with Dodge only recruiting just one year, and they are Freshman. We could be anywhere to 2 to 7 wins. I expect us to win more Belt games and 5 or 6 wins being likely as a total.

---Any coach capable of winning four straight in the Belt will likely move on before that happens so that makes 4 straight unlikely as well. Let us hope the rest of Belt can improve and knock off some "name" teams to improve the Belt's image. We are just now getting to point that HS recruits have grown up hearing the Conference's name in football) and not thinking it is a new flash in the pan.

---Congrats to the Raging Cajuns for doing well in baseball and almost making the College World series... They came up one game short and lost to the Aggies twice after first defeating them. They got the Aggies attention.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

The part that bothers me though is not only do they leave off the Co-championship title, they just say championship, like they were they only ones. They ALSO have losses to the other teams, head-to-head. So it's double meaningless.

They talk about their 2 pseudo-co-championships like they mean as much as winning it outright like we did for 4 years.

Edited by MeanMag

---Congrats to the Raging Cajuns for doing well in baseball and almost making the College World series... They came up one game short and lost to the Aggies twice after first defeating them. They got the Aggies attention.

Actually, they were one game short of making the Super Regionals. I watched the game last night via the internet and I have to say that the Cajuns put up a good fight in a tough situation. They had a great season and continue to be ranked on annual basis in baseball. Good Luck next year Cajuns! I normally never pull against a Texas team, but I wanted the upset.

The part that bothers me though is not only do they leave off the Co-championship title, they just say championship, like they were they only ones. They ALSO have losses to the other teams, head-to-head. So it's double meaningless.

They talk about their 2 pseudo-co-championships like they mean as much as winning it outright like we did for 4 years.

This is my point. They've always lost head to head against the other "co-champion", yet they never list it as a co-championship. They've never outright won the Fb championship on the field.

True champions win the games they HAVE to win.

In my book when they lost head to head, they aren't a co-champions, MUTS just won the same number of league games as the league champ did. When you lose to the champion, you finished in second place.

Over on the blue raider zone board, there is a long discussion about changing

the name of their school. I suggest they just rearrange the words, like this--

"Middle University of Tennessee State" = MUTS

In honor of their co-championships and their second place finishes.

This is my point. They've always lost head to head against the other "co-champion", yet they never list it as a co-championship. They've never outright won the Fb championship on the field.

True champions win the games they HAVE to win.

In my book when they lost head to head, they aren't a co-champions, MUTS just won the same number of league games as the league champ did. When you lose to the champion, you finished in second place.

While I don't disagree....they are officially co-champs on the SBC website. I'd say that gives their claim legitamcy.

While I don't disagree....they are officially co-champs on the SBC website. I'd say that gives their claim legitamcy.

Technically they are co-champs, and I'll give em their due for that. But in my book it loses legitamacy when they produced rings to read Champions, instead of co-champions. They leave off the "Co" part as if they are the real and only champions, only they're not as they lost head to head to true champions North Texas and Troy respectively in both "Championship" years. If they continue to brand themselves as "Champions" they deserve all the ridicule and disrespect they get.

Edited by Baby Arm!

Technically they are co-champs, and I'll give em their due for that. But in my book it loses legitamacy when they produced rings to read Champions, instead of co-champions. They leave off the "Co" part as if they are the real and only champions, only they're not as they lost head to head to true champions North Texas and Troy respectively in both "Championship" years. If they continue to brand themselves as "Champions" they deserve all the ridicule and disrespect they get.

It's called recruiting and fund-raising. No reason why we shouldn't do it. A better MT is a better Belt. I would hope you would do the same.

Nothing wrong with rewarding our players for their efforts.

It must be the "right" thing to do for us if it pisses off so many UNT and Troy State fans.

It's called recruiting and fund-raising. No reason why we shouldn't do it. A better MT is a better Belt. I would hope you would do the same.

Nothing wrong with rewarding our players for their efforts.

It must be the "right" thing to do for us if it pisses off so many UNT and Troy State fans.

Mix in winning it on the field for once and maybe it would change.

Look at it this way. What if after the Super Bowl both the winning and losing teams W/L record for the year was 17-2. Of course the winner of the Super Bowl would be declared champion, but would the loser be called "co-champion" because they won just as many league games? Of course not.

Bottom line this is a jacked up way for the Sun Belt to do it and it's allowed MUTS twice to ride the coat tails of true league champions. :P