Middle Tennessee Should Make A Conference Switch

Don't know what this guy is smokin' :huh:

Stewart: MTSU should make conference switch

By DUNCAN STEWART

DNJ Columnist

For the fourth time in seven years, MTSU has won the Sun Belt Conference's all-sports trophy, this time with a record 141 points. Such consistent excellence brings me back to a long held premise:

It's time for a concerted effort to move the Blue Raiders to Conference USA.

If MTSU competed in Conference USA, immediate natural rivalries would be set up with Alabama-Birmingham, Southern Miss as well as a potential archrival in Memphis. The MTSU-Memphis rivalry would be special.

A move to Conference USA could result more sensible alignments in three conferences if what follows would come to pass:

To make room for the Blue Raiders in Conference USA, Texas-El Paso would move to a revamped Mountain West Conference that would afford UTEP closer natural rivalries than Conference USA members East Carolina, Central Florida, Marshall and UAB.

The new Mountain West would include current members Air Force, BYU, Colorado State, New Mexico, TCU, Utah and Wyoming. New Mexico State would move from the Western Athletic Conference and enjoy geographical rivalries with New Mexico and UTEP.

The new WAC would feature current members Boise State, Fresno State, Hawaii, Idaho, Nevada, Utah State and San Jose State. UNLV would move from the Mountain West to enjoy an in-state conference rivalry with Nevada. San Diego State would make a similar move and enjoy rivalries that make more sense than in the Mountain West.

Louisiana Tech would have the option to remain a member of the WAC or move into MTSU's spot in the Sun Belt where Tech would enjoy in state rivalries with Louisiana Lafayette and Louisiana Monroe.

MTSU didn't go through all the effort to move Division I-A to remain mired in a minor conference like the Sun Belt.

Of course, there would be many obstacles, but after the journey to the big division, nothing should appear insurmountable. There's no time like the present to get the ball rolling.

Edited by MeanGreen61

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They can make all the concerted effort in the world and it won't get them anywhere until CUSA decides to make room for them. I don't see that happening, but I suppose anything is possible.

They might try learning how to win at the Sun Belt level before they get such ideas, unless they are just dying to be the laughing stock, bottom feeders of another conference.

MUTS poster Todd Malone sent this article to the CUSA commish.

I emailed this article to C-USA Britton Banowsky this morning. Here's the reply I got:

Dear, Todd, you're desire to see your alma mater join our conference is flattering. I have to admit, your apparent dominance of the Bubba Cup is impressive...but come talk to me when MT is consistently putting 25,000 butts in seats for football.

Regards,

Britton

Edited by MeanGreen61

While this guy is making up new conferences- lets develop the new imagainary

Southwest Conference II -- based on "regional rivals"--

NT, SMU, TCU, Baylor, Houston, Rice, Tulane, UTEP, NMSU,

throw in La Tech, LaLa. LaMo, all regional schools, easy to get to,

natural rivals, something the fans would enjoy!

I'd prefer Tulsa and Ark. St. to La. La. and La. Mon..

No! Don't hijack this thread. Stay true to the topic and mock MUTS fantasies :)

One good football season and suddenly they are the darling of the Belt, excuse my while I induce vomiting. Had we fielded a baseball team how many of those all-sports cups would they have won again? Yeah, thats what I thought. If they MUTS can prove they are a consistant winner, you know, like win 4 Sun Belt football championships in a row, a mens and a couple of womens basketball championships, track and field guy going to nationals, dominant womens soccer team, need I go on and not a one season wonder then they can start talking like they own the belt until then they are just a school that has more points by virtue of more sports and a really good womens basketball team.

One good football season and suddenly they are the darling of the Belt, excuse my while I induce vomiting. Had we fielded a baseball team how many of those all-sports cups would they have won again? Yeah, thats what I thought. If they MUTS can prove they are a consistant winner, you know, like win 4 Sun Belt football championships in a row, a mens and a couple of womens basketball championships, track and field guy going to nationals, dominant womens soccer team, need I go on and not a one season wonder then they can start talking like they own the belt until then they are just a school that has more points by virtue of more sports and a really good womens basketball team.

The writer is a "guest" writer, and is a local Nashville sports-talk radio guy from up north, that knows nothing of MT and the Sun Belt. Surprised by this article as well. We would like to move to the C-USA (and with some of our SBC brethren like UNT, UL, etc) but it's not gonna happen, yet. We must get better on the gridiron and in men's hoops.

I think there may be a chance in 5 years or so, but what will C-USA look like then? The SBC may very well be the better option by that time. The SBC is closing in.......and closing in fast.

MT's Message Board, THE Blue Raider Zone

Edited by KAjunRaider

MUTS moving to CUSA... pipe dream! The conferences appear to be set for quite a while, with the exception of TCU possibly recieving an invite from a BCS conference. I think the NON-BCS schools (the have-nots) are trying to protect themselves; that is, keeping up appearances so that maybe the BCS schools (the haves) might come callin. The upper end of the have-not scale certainly don't want to risk their product on a school from a percieved (ahem) inferior conference.

MUTS moving to CUSA... pipe dream! The conferences appear to be set for quite a while, with the exception of TCU possibly recieving an invite from a BCS conference. I think the NON-BCS schools (the have-nots) are trying to protect themselves; that is, keeping up appearances so that maybe the BCS schools (the haves) might come callin. The upper end of the have-not scale certainly don't want to risk their product on a school from a percieved (ahem) inferior conference.

Why would TCU receive a BcS invite prior to the likes of Boise State? I just don't see the BcS expanding creating a greater split and less money per team. It's all about greed today, and I don't see the BcS schools voting to expand.

They might try learning how to win at the Sun Belt level before they get such ideas, unless they are just dying to be the laughing stock, bottom feeders of another conference.

Lest everyone forgets, haven't I seen numerous threads and posts on this board of UNT wanting to get out of the SBC and into C-USA?

This article is not our fans talking, but a Nashville guy tryiing to stir the pot. I have never, ever seen him at ANY MT function. He is a Tennessee Vol fan of the big ernge. He once sat on top of a billboard for a month until the tennessee team won a game (they started the season 0-5 or similar back in the 80's, I believe).

MT fans know we have a ways to go, but.........if either UNT or MT were offered to Coosa today, we would both be there tomorrow and not letting the door hit our collective arses on the way out of our current affilations.

Blue Raider Zone Football Forum on Scout.com

logo.gif

Edited by KAjunRaider

I emailed this article to C-USA Britton Banowsky this morning. Here's the reply I got:

Dear, Todd, you're desire to see your alma mater join our conference is flattering. I have to admit, your apparent dominance of the Bubba Cup is impressive...but come talk to me when MT is consistently putting 25,000 butts in seats for football.

Regards,

Britton

:lol:

Dear Brit:

What present Texas CUSA schools actually average 25,000 butts in seats besides UTEP?

In fact, outside UTEP, who is even remotely close to 25K? :mellow:

Thank you.

Cordially,

PMG

PS: Come on good MUTS folks, you're right in the, uh, "middle" of all this just like the rest of so......................"if it's inevitable, just lay back & enjoy it." :blink:

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Regards,

Britton

CUSA 2006 attendance

42, 444 UTEP

37, 168 East Carolina

32, 440 Memphis

31, 569 UCF

28, 994 Southern Miss

26, 031 Marshall

23, 139 UAB

21, 910 Houston

21, 364 Tulsa

18, 942 Tulane

15, 428 SMU

14, 760 Rice

Let me first say that I do not think we can really do anything else to get into another conference. No "concerted effort" will matter at this point. The other leagues for the most part are set and won't come looking for new members unless they lose someone. However, I do want to point some things out to you. First, MeanGreenBuzz, you assume conferences look at success in football and only success in football and care nothing about the competitiveness in any other sport. You also assume that other leagues do not look at athletic budgets, facilities, campus size, support, as well as market in addition to several other factors.

You think we got more points in the Bubas Cup Standings because we sponsor more sports? What planet are you from, dude? Middle Tennessee sponsors only 17 of the league's 19 sports. The only thing we do not sponsor is Men's and Women's Swimming and Diving. North Texas sponsors 16 sports--just one less than us! Big WHOOP!

Check the scoring. Middle Tennessee finished with 43 more points than North Texas. I think it might have to do with the fact that Middle Tennessee only finished in the bottom half of the league standings in only 16 out of 17 sports--3rd from the bottom in Men's Cross Country, while North Texas finished in dead last in Women's Tennis and 2nd to last in football as well as bottom half finishes in softball, women's basketball, women's cross country, and women's golf.

The fact that we sponsor more sports has nothing to do with it. FAU sponsors more sports than North Texas too yet they finished behind UNT in the standings. FAU also finished in last place in two sports and 2nd to last in two others. The reason why we are at the top of the league's all-sports standings is because we are competitive in every sport we have. I can't believe I have to explain this to you, again! I thought I already made that point abundantly clear, but apparently not all of you are getting the message. If North Texas would adequately fund each of it's sports, you could be competitive too.

Now I see you highlighted a few of North Texas's strong points. Now it's my turn. Since joining this league, Middle Tennessee has won 2 Sun Belt co-titles in football, 4 consecutive league tournament titles in women's basketball in addition to 1st Round wins to nationally-ranked teams in 2 of those years. Middle Tennessee has been to a super regional in baseball and has received bids to the NCAA tournament 3 times. Volleyball won the league title this year and won a 1st-Round game against host Louisville in the NCAA tournament. Women's Soccer finished 2nd in the league behind only Denver this past season. Men's Outdoor Track and Field won it's 2nd straight Sun Belt title. Middle Tennessee Men's Doubles Tennis has been to the Final Four the past 2 years in a row and in fact won the national title just yesterday over the defending national champions from Illinois!

Middle Tennessee has won the league's all-sports trophy 4 times of the last 7. One year wonders? I don't think so.

Let me first say that I do not think we can really do anything else to get into another conference. No "concerted effort" will matter at this point. The other leagues for the most part are set and won't come looking for new members unless they lose someone. However, I do want to point some things out to you. First, MeanGreenBuzz, you assume conferences look at success in football and only success in football and care nothing about the competitiveness in any other sport. You also assume that other leagues do not look at athletic budgets, facilities, campus size, support, as well as market in addition to several other factors.

You think we got more points in the Bubas Cup Standings because we sponsor more sports? What planet are you from, dude? Middle Tennessee sponsors only 17 of the league's 19 sports. The only thing we do not sponsor is Men's and Women's Swimming and Diving. North Texas sponsors 16 sports--just one less than us! Big WHOOP!

Check the scoring. Middle Tennessee finished with 43 more points than North Texas. I think it might have to do with the fact that Middle Tennessee only finished in the bottom half of the league standings in only 16 out of 17 sports--3rd from the bottom in Men's Cross Country, while North Texas finished in dead last in Women's Tennis and 2nd to last in football as well as bottom half finishes in softball, women's basketball, women's cross country, and women's golf.

The fact that we sponsor more sports has nothing to do with it. FAU sponsors more sports than North Texas too yet they finished behind UNT in the standings. FAU also finished in last place in two sports and 2nd to last in two others. The reason why we are at the top of the league's all-sports standings is because we are competitive in every sport we have. I can't believe I have to explain this to you, again! I thought I already made that point abundantly clear, but apparently not all of you are getting the message. If North Texas would adequately fund each of it's sports, you could be competitive too.

Now I see you highlighted a few of North Texas's strong points. Now it's my turn. Since joining this league, Middle Tennessee has won 2 Sun Belt co-titles in football, 4 consecutive league tournament titles in women's basketball in addition to 1st Round wins to nationally-ranked teams in 2 of those years. Middle Tennessee has been to a super regional in baseball and has received bids to the NCAA tournament 3 times. Volleyball won the league title this year and won a 1st-Round game against host Louisville in the NCAA tournament. Women's Soccer finished 2nd in the league behind only Denver this past season. Men's Outdoor Track and Field won it's 2nd straight Sun Belt title. Middle Tennessee Men's Doubles Tennis has been to the Final Four the past 2 years in a row and in fact won the national title just yesterday over the defending national champions from Illinois!

Middle Tennessee has won the league's all-sports trophy 4 times of the last 7. One year wonders? I don't think so.

Reality is that FOOTBALL is the primary force in 1A conference changes with Men's basketball being a secondary consideration. Read the CUSA commissioners reply to Todd Malone's e-mail. He acknowledged your Bubas Cups but replied "to get back in touch when you consistantly put 25,000 butts in seats for FOOTBALL The other sports really fall under "who cares" when it comes to conference realignments.

Reality is that FOOTBALL is the primary force in 1A conference changes with Men's basketball being a secondary consideration. Read the CUSA commissioners reply to Todd Malone's e-mail. He acknowledged your Bubas Cups but replied "to get back in touch when you consistantly put 25,000 butts in seats for FOOTBALL The other sports really fall under "who cares" when it comes to conference realignments.

The UAB attendance figures are bogus. They are lucky to get 10K butts in seats. We played them in B'ham a few years ago, and had just as many fans as they did, and we were just starting in D-1.

I find it very, very hard to believe that they averaged that much, unless they hosted an SEC team and filled up Legion Field. Isn't the upper level on Legion condemned and off-limits?

The UAB attendance figures are bogus. They are lucky to get 10K butts in seats. We played them in B'ham a few years ago, and had just as many fans as they did, and we were just starting in D-1.

I find it very, very hard to believe that they averaged that much, unless they hosted an SEC team and filled up Legion Field. Isn't the upper level on Legion condemned and off-limits?

UAB and SMU must hire the same attendance counters. :lol:

Beleive that UAB and USF were originally basketball members of CUSA. As members they were automatic football members when they fielded teams. Similar to FIU in the Belt.

Do OOC wins, regardless of sport, count towards the Cup standings? Just asking.

Do OOC wins, regardless of sport, count towards the Cup standings? Just asking.

The emphasis was competitiveness. You choose to be competitive (or try to be) in two or three major sports. That's fine. That's North Texas' perogative. As for Middle Tennessee we ARE competitive in every sport. We're not going to strip funding from one sport and give it to football just because less people care about that sport compared to football. You might do that at North Texas and I'm sure other 'Belt schools do that, but we will not.

The emphasis was competitiveness. You choose to be competitive (or try to be) in two or three major sports. That's fine. That's North Texas' perogative. As for Middle Tennessee we ARE competitive in every sport. We're not going to strip funding from one sport and give it to football just because less people care about that sport compared to football. You might do that at North Texas and I'm sure other 'Belt schools do that, but we will not.

Apparently you either did not understand the question, or intended to respond to a different post than the one you quoted. OOC stands for out-of-conference.

Lest everyone forgets, haven't I seen numerous threads and posts on this board of UNT wanting to get out of the SBC and into C-USA?

This article is not our fans talking, but a Nashville guy tryiing to stir the pot. I have never, ever seen him at ANY MT function. He is a Tennessee Vol fan of the big ernge. He once sat on top of a billboard for a month until the tennessee team won a game (they started the season 0-5 or similar back in the 80's, I believe).

MT fans know we have a ways to go, but.........if either UNT or MT were offered to Coosa today, we would both be there tomorrow and not letting the door hit our collective arses on the way out of our current affilations.

Blue Raider Zone Football Forum on Scout.com

logo.gif

I don't have a problem with MTSU or it's fans wanting in CUSA (we do too) but what this nut-case proposes by shifting teams around is pure ignorance of conference situations.