Cotton Bowl Eyes Annual Texas Tech/osu Game

Cotton Bowl eyes Texas Tech-OSU

Big 12 teams would begin playing at Fair Park in 2008

04:20 PM CDT on Wednesday, May 2, 2007

By BRIAN DAVIS / The Dallas Morning News

brdavis@dallasnews.com

Hot on the heels of a new contract extension for the Texas-Oklahoma series, Dallas city officials are close to bringing another Big 12 matchup to the Cotton Bowl – Texas Tech vs. Oklahoma State.

The Red Raiders and Cowboys would meet at Fair Park beginning in 2008 and play in conjunction with the State Fair of Texas, according to two sources close to the contract talks.

Financial parameters are still being negotiated, and the deal has not been finalized. But a Dallas City Hall official characterized the deal as being "awfully close."

OSU athletic director Mike Holder said Wednesday he wants to talk with Tech's Gerald Myers about "the possibility of making this game an annual event."

"Playing Texas Tech in the Cotton Bowl in conjunction with the State Fair of Texas has a lot of appeal for our university," Holder said. "We have a large recruiting presence in Texas for students and student-athletes. A lot of our alumni live in Texas."

Myers would not say if a deal was imminent, but he admitted that Tech would love to play in Dallas, too. The Dallas-Fort Worth area is by far the biggest area of Tech alumni outside of Lubbock.

"I think there is a big upside to playing a game in Dallas," Myers said. "That's why I say don't ever say never. But at this point, we don't have any conference game scheduled in Dallas."

Speculation has been rampant that Tech would sign a deal with Texas A&M. The two schools have talked in the past, but a source with the city of Dallas said the issue is basically dead. The Aggies simply do not want to give up a home game at Kyle Field.

A&M athletic director Bill Byrne could not be immediately reached for comment.

So without A&M as a willing partner, city officials turned to Oklahoma State.

But getting OSU's approval meant convincing Dallas billionaire Boone Pickens, who has spent millions of his own money for massive facility upgrades in Stillwater, Okla. That includes renovating the football stadium which bears his name.

The city official said Dallas mayor Laura Miller reached out to Pickens and helped arrange a meeting with State Fair of Texas president Errol McKoy, Pickens and Holder. At that meeting, McKoy made his pitch and Pickens informed Holder that he thought this would be a good move for OSU.

On Wednesday, Miller declined to say where negotiations stood with Texas Tech and OSU, or if she even met with Pickens.

"I can't tell you," Miller said. "I've been very good about the Cotton Bowl. I don't talk about it – until the press event."

The mayor did say, however, that she's been actively working with the schools to reach a deal.

"I'm on the phone, on the phone, on the phone, on the phone, in the car, at home, in the morning, in the night," Miller said, adding that she hopes to reach a deal before she leaves office in June. "That's been my goal. That's seven, eight weeks."

Miller held a news conference on the Cotton Bowl's 50-yard line on April 19 to announce that Texas and OU had signed an extension that will keep the Red River Rivalry in Dallas through 2015. Grambling and Prairie View A&M officials have also agreed to a similar extension.

By adding Tech-OSU to the mix, city officials believe they have another good reason to spend $30 million in stadium improvement courtesy of bonds. In March, a Dallas Morning News poll found that 48 percent of respondents said Dallas shouldn't use the money for stadium upgrades.

The city has been scrambling to keep high-profile games at Fair Park since AT&T Cotton Bowl Classic officials decided to move their New Year's Day game to the Cowboys' new stadium in Arlington beginning in 2010.

This would be fantastic for OSU and Tech recruiting. It is, however, not good news for other Texas football schools--like UNT.

I disagree on the fact that it would not affect UNT....in general their top tier recruits probably wont acknowledge UNT and other schools like us.

But on the other hand, aren't both schools sorta' saying (as they will also both lose an annual home game with such a neutral site): "Well, all you Metroplexers (lucky sum'biches that yall are) anyway, both our schools are out here in "Nowhere'sville, Texas and Nowheresville, Oklahoma" so we will join the mass civilization of your fair city with an annual visit to let everyone know we still have campuses in good ol "happiness is "Lubbock" in your rearview mirror and Stillwater, OK, the "official" home of Garth Brooks; you know, both outposts where we don't really want to play each other every other year? :rolleyes::o:)

It may be a big game for both schools, but I doubt many of the locals, ie, the North Texas Metroplexers will buy near as many tickets as officials of both schools might think.

The real shame of Dallas' Fair Park is how Big D Mayor Laura Miller led the way in insuring that it would not get a mega-billion make-over with the ( "Dallas" --hmmm, what a concept) Cowboys being its main tenant. Another term or 2 with "the Honorable Ms. Miller" and it may have taken Dallas almost a century to overcome her very divisive style of leadership. Of course, she did have some help with the city council she had to work with, too. :huh:

Question: Way outside our usual box or our usual mode of thinking in Denton, but might UNT schedule a Ohio State, a USC or a Notre Dame in the Dallas Cowboys new stadium as a "one time" experiment against one of the true Big Boys of NCAA D1-A? Remember how well our game drew against TAMU at Texas Stadium? (Of course, if we moved a home game away from Denton, we'd be doing the same thing TTech & OSU are doing).:)

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

A yearly TT/OSU Cotton Bowl game would basically kill any future chance UNT, SMUt, or TCU has to host them locally. They won't want to come to DFW twice during the regular season. However, I see the Cotton Bowl closing down in 2015 when UT/OU leave.

Edited by NT80

But on the other hand, aren't both schools sorta' saying (as they will also both lose an annual home game with such a neutral site): "Well, all you Metroplexers (lucky sum'biches that yall are) anyway, both our schools are out here in "Nowhere'sville, Texas and Nowheresville, Oklahoma" so we will join the mass civilization of your fair city with an annual visit to let everyone know we still have campuses in good ol "happiness is "Lubbock" in your rearview mirror and Stillwater, OK, the "official" home of Garth Brooks; you know, both outposts where we don't really want to play each other every other year?

You're absolutely right, Jim. It's much easier to reach out to a potential TEXAS recruit without having their parents drive out to Lubbutt or Stoolwater. Okie Lite/Tech would like nothing better than an annual showcase game in a Texas recruiting hotbed once a year, just like big brother 0U/TEXAS. It's an extra game in Texas every year. Can't underestimate that factor in recruiting. Think about it: How many times per year do either of those schools get a chance to play in DFW? I guarantee you both of those schools are rubbing their hands together at a high rate of speed hoping this happens.

"See all this, young man? State Fair of Texas. Midway. Your parents can come out here every year and watch you play. You don't have to go to 0U or Texas to do that, son. OSU/Tech's in the big leagues, son. Why would you want to play for UNT? They can't even get a showcase game in their own back yard. Good school, but you get to play at Fouts 5 times a year. They're small-time, son. Sign with Okie Lite/Tech."

I disagree on the fact that it would not affect UNT....in general their top tier recruits probably wont acknowledge UNT and other schools like us.

---Sounds likes an inferiority complex or defeatist attitude. At one time maybe when we were " the SWC outsider" and almost everyone else in Texas was a member it was somewhat true but not now. There a lot of people who really want to play closer to home and to go somewhere that is not surrounded by plowed fields but instead by lakes, trees, less dirt, and a large city.. Tech is a very isolated place and although the people are ok, the scenery, and environment isn't all that great. At least at NT there will be a lot of jobs and opportunities available nearby after graduation unlike at Lubbock. Some recruits want to go where they think they have an opportunity to play soon and not two-three years later. Tech is in a better known conference but North Texas has a much better location and for those wanting an education, Tech has no advantage really except in some select fields. The truth is the more media and fan attention we get, the better we can recruit.

--- I think have a Dallas game will help them in recruiting some and I also agree it will be harder for TCU, SMU, and us to schedule them if they play the OSU game in Dallas since they also visit Waco every other year as well which means recuits will play the Dallas area regularly for parents etc. to see them.

---For many, Lubbock and Tech is not that appealing..... as a couple of my kids said after visiting friends at Tech... Lubbock is nothing more than a "dirty Midland" (none went there, two to NT, one to A&M.. all now work in Dallas area and all go to NT events). The lack of a lot of other entertainment opportunities also explains why their athletic attendence is as large as it is.... what else does one do up there for grins, no other major sports teams, or fishing, water skiing, or good hunting, or anything like state fairs, or events likes Dallas area has. This explains why Tech gets so much fan support from area people.

A yearly TT/OSU Cotton Bowl game would basically kill any future chance UNT, SMUt, or TCU has to host them locally. They won't want to come to DFW twice during the regular season. However, I see the Cotton Bowl closing down in 2015 when UT/OU leave.

Excellent post, and the reason why we don't want this game to materialize.

Why does Dallas go after these two schools? They are far enough away that fans will have to stay in Dallas hotels, eat/drink in Dallas establishments, etc... North Texas and other "local" schools don't provide the added economic benefit that these schools provide.

I do not understand why the city of Dallas does not work with what is in

our own back yard-

Set up a yearly game during the State Fair of Texas with NT and SMU!

Heck-Prairie View and Grambling play every year at the State Fair.

A yearly game at the State Fair would be great for the city, the fair, fans, $$$

But again, I am trying to think smart, have a giant event/promotion that would

be fun for the fans, local rivals, etc--

I swear the govt of Dallas is as dumb as a tree stump!

Lets bring in Tx Tech and Ok State, that will bring in the fans for sure!

Who gives a rats ass about these 2 teams playing in the CB?

Sounds like a copy cat of TX-OU!

our own back yard-

A yearly game at the State Fair would be great for the city, the fair, fans, $$$

They (city of Dallas) doesn't want just game attendance but fans that will need hotel rooms, meals, rental cars, shopping, etc. Seems like they had that with the Cowboys didn't they?? However, one of the main reasons also cited by OSU as wanting to do this is for recruiting and fan base here in Texas. That's what NT needs to use to attract strong OOC games to Denton too.

Good points, NT80...

More the reason UNT needs to simply market the hell out of, well, its home base of Denton and even moreso....Denton County.

We really need to just take care of our own business at UNT and let the Texas Tech's and OSU's keep on dreaming of one day actually becoming the Big 12 football champion; BTW, last time I counted--since Texas Tech joined the former SWC in the mid 1950's, they only tied (never won outright) for a league champion just "1" (ONE) time. TTech really is a good school, but they just don't have many conference football championship trophies to rest their laurels on; of course, being in a league with UT, TAMU and now such schools as OU may have a whole bunch to do with that.

Upon further thought, TTech and OSU could make an annual trip to Dallas a positive for both schools and it seems they actually spoke of doing this several years ago. I cannot remember why it didn't happen back then to be honest.

ALSO.............FWIW............and IMHO..............its not Big 12 schools that UNT needs to concern itself at this particular time in our school's athletic history. We will not make our next big step as far as being a viable member of NCAA D1-A is concerned until we build you know what and with a preferred minimum capacity as described below; that is, if we truly want to be a Top 50 player in NCAA D1-A and I think we all want that kind of college football co-existance for our school.

our own back yard-

Because of the old Denton nester merchants and students ( who are mostly in DFW on Sat. anyway) our A.D. will not play a "home" game o/s Fouts. This will cost us some contests with more high profile D-1 opponents who recruit the metroplex. If the CB provides the guarantee and the gate is split along with concessions, programs, etc.( their revenue is coming from more State Fair visitors) why don't we push for the 4th CB annual game (3 slots are now taken but one weekend remains unfilled) against an at large D-1 opponent? If it's for the reasons mentioned then " the tail is wagging the dog". A game such as this would be far superior to playing "body bag" games in the opponent's stadium with none of our fans present since we have shown we have little or no chance to compete. Games like the last two @ UT would have better been forfeited than getting totally destroyed and embarrassed for the guarantee given us!

Upon further thought, TTech and OSU could make an annual trip to Dallas a positive for both schools and it seems they actually spoke of doing this several years ago. I cannot remember why it didn't happen back then to be honest.

They did play each other at Texas Stadium in Sept. 1996....announced attendance = 30,269

They did play each other at Texas Stadium in Sept. 1996....announced attendance = 30,269

Whoops! :blink: I completely forgot about that game, NT80, and I now also remember how poorly attended it was for those 2 schools.

I would love for UNT to make an exception just one time as far as our present "all games at Fouts only" rule and then schedule the very first college game in the Dallas Cowboys new palace when it opens in a couple of years (or so). What about against schools such as USC, Ohio State, Michigan or Notre Dame? :blink: Wouldn't that be a hoot?!?!? :D

Sure I know such schools as the aforementioned a bit of a stretch, but lest we forget, we have played schools of similar scope from our own region and even the University of Tennessee one particular year when the ol' MEAN GREEN gave the Volunteers a rather nice Homecoming gift for the ages. :rolleyes::lol:

Edited by PlummMeanGreen