An Absolute And Complete Education Today

blountgmg.combowl_300x225.jpg

........by the green team as HE walked away with the win in the annual GMG.com Bowl game.

Of course, none of us on the white could catch RECMAN either, who by the way was a teammate with Scott Hall at Clemens High School. Both of these guys made me feel 40 for sure as I often wondered if I had my shoes staked to the ground trying to catch either of them. Harry mentioned to me later that as fast as both of them are, can you imagine what it would be like trying to catch SPJMo or Johnny Quinn or any of the other speedsters we have seen over the years?

In all seriousness though, here is the entire Green Team today. Congrats to them all.

greengmg.combowl4_500x375.jpg

And a big thank you goes out to the most serious one on the field today and who kept us all in line and making sure no rules were violated, TexasStranger.

refgmg.combowl4_474x355.jpg

Here's a photo of both teams.

bothteamsgmg.combowl4_500x375.jpg

Finally, I have to mention something that alway's comes to mind everytime I see him, and I want to thank him again for coming out and spending some time with those that supported and cheered for him through his entire career here at North Texas and that is Andy Blount. You can't truly appreciated how fast the collegians we watch on saturdays are until you get out there and try and chase one of them around on the field, and today it was rediculous at times just trying to put a hand on him. But when I see Andy, and I've told this to his face several times now, and many here on this board agree with me as well, but I can't help but think what a complete waste of talent he was while playing here in Coach Dickey's offense. He had good size, speed and possibly the sweetest set of hands ever to play for NT and I doubt he averaged 2 balls a game thrown to him over 4 seasons. I'm not bagging on Coach Dickey. If it weren't for him we would have never had Andy here in the first place. But we forget at times, mostly because of how little he was utilized in that offense, but we forget how damn good he was as a pass-catching reciever and RECMAN would probably agree with me on this as well. The guy has fishing nets for hands. In fact Andy set a recieving record in High School that stood until the Shipley kid at Texas broke it. When I first remember seeing him in his first camp I remember thinking how quickly the ball just dissapeared into his hands regardless of where it was. I also remember the Idaho game in '01 in which we saw just how hard he was to bring down after catching the ball in which he ran over one poor bastard in that game and they nearly had to carry him off the field. I remember the game against NMSU in which the Aggies short kicked on the opening kickoff and Andy recieved from the middle then whisked through the front line untouched and was headed for the endzone but got the ball stripped from him from behind. Remember him taking an all world CB to school on that TD against Arkansas? That proved to me he was faster than originally thought? Overall, I can't help but imagine what he could have done in Dodges' system? It truly would have been fun as I think he would have torn it up as a possession reciever in the slot rather than forced to be a blocking back from the H back position?

Anyhow, thanks to everyone today, especially to MedPilot for getting it scheduled and for RECMAN for getting us the field and setting it up and all. I will make the call as soon as I can to reserve Fouts for GMG.com V next spring.

It was great seeing you all again. I can't hardly wait for August to get here.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Of course, none of us on the white could catch RECMAN either, who by the way was a teammate with Scott Hall at Clements High School.

As we all sit here half-drunk at Tavern, I've been instructed to pass on word that there is no "T" In CLEMENS High School.

MAN, IT WAS A GREAT DAY!!!!!! PERFECT FOR FOOTBALL....SURE, WE LOST...BUT DAMN WAS IT FUN!!!! CAN'T WAIT UNTIL NEXT YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANKS FOR SETTING THIS GAME UP....IT'S A PLEASURE TO PLAY IN IT!

OH,....AND DAMN ANDY'S GOOD!

We had a great time and I want to thank everyone who helped to make it happen, in particular MedPilot who has generously gave of his time to organize this event year after year. Also kudos to Rick for the pics. It was a lot of fun and I gotta tell you I am very, very sore. Also Andy Blount is just an amazing athlete and good guy. GMG!

MAN, IT WAS A GREAT DAY!!!!!! PERFECT FOR FOOTBALL....SURE, WE LOST...BUT DAMN WAS IT FUN!!!! CAN'T WAIT UNTIL NEXT YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANKS FOR SETTING THIS GAME UP....IT'S A PLEASURE TO PLAY IN IT!

OH,....AND DAMN ANDY'S GOOD!

You sir played a hell of a game by the way. In fact I believe you wrestled a ball away from The Good Shepherd for one of your TD's. That was pretty amazing, especially considering you were halfway through that brown-bag 40 oz by halftime. :lol: Funny stuff.

As for next season, I think RECMAN mentioned we could possibly raise even more money if we were to consider turning this event into a 7 on 7 tournament next season? With the fact that Dodge Ball will be all the rage this next year it may well be the perfect springboard for doing something like that?

Does anyone have any thoughts about this idea?

Rick

As for next season, I think RECMAN mentioned we could possibly raise even more money if we were to consider turning this event into a 7 on 7 tournament next season? With the fact that Dodge Ball will be all the rage this next year it may well be the perfect springboard for doing something like that?

This was something that me and Justin were shooting around a few weeks ago.

Charge by team, get UNT Rec Sports and the Athletic Dept. involved, and turn it into a big event. Just order one type of shirt, get a bulk discount. The final game would still be called the GoMeanGreen.com Bowl, would be officiated by Stranger, just like our game has been for the last 4 years. I really think alot of the Greek and student orgs would get involved...and we would still be able to have one or two GMG.com teams. Heck, maybe open up to athletics sponsors...I'd love to see Frenchy at QB.

I think as long as we're able to keep everything volunteer and the costs low and if it is done right, the amount of money and awareness that we could raise with such an event would be awesome.

You sir played a hell of a game by the way. In fact I believe you wrestled a ball away from The Good Shepherd for one of your TD's. That was pretty amazing, especially considering you were halfway through that brown-bag 40 oz by halftime. :lol: Funny stuff.

Does anyone have any thoughts about this idea?

Rick

thanks...it was a good time....although, i puked in my mouth numerous times!!!!

a tournament would be fun, and like jaydub said "if it's done right, tons could be raised!"