Drc Vitto Blog, Nt Still In Hunt For Tristan Thompson

OldTimer

April 26, 2007

A few notes from the basketball banquet

A few interesting notes came out of the basketball banquet last night, but before we get to those items, here is a tidbit on Tristan Thompson, the shooting guard from Brewster Academy.

Jason Smith, the head coach at Brewster, said Wednesday that Thompson has visited UNT and Akron and might visit Wichita State in the future. UNT has two scholarships left and could hang on to one for Thompson, who appears to be waiting on the Shockers and weighing his options. Wichita State changed coaches after last season and is still in the process of sorting out who will be back next season and how many scholarships it has to give.

It looks like UNT is still in the hunt for the highly regarded guard. If Wichita State does not have any scholarships left to give, Thompson -- a Texas native -- could end up falling into UNT's lap.

In other news ...

As expected, athletic director Rick Villarreal announced that UNT has reached an agreement in principle with head coach Johnny Jones on a five-year extension. The board of regents will have to give the deal the final seal of approval.

Jones was available to comment for the first time on Adam McCoy after the banquet and said he expects Mesa Community College standout to help fill the void at shooting guard and small forward following the departure of several key players after last season.

The 6-3 guard shot 48.7 percent from behind the arc last year. Finding another shooter was critical for the Mean Green after it lost Calvin Watson, Kendrick Davis and Rich Young following last season.

Freshman guard Collin Mangrum showed up to the banquet with his arm in a sling after having surgery on his right shoulder. Jones said Mangrum will be ready for next season.

For more on the banquet and a list of award-winners, see tomorrow's edition of the Denton Record-Chronicle. The following is a link:

http://www.dentonrc.com/sharedcontent/dws/...26.bf29ec2.html

Posted by

"...could end up falling into UNT's lap."

Is this the type of situation we are hoping for? Seems like a sound recruiting strategy to me <_<

I don't know if you know much about the MVC, but Witchita State has been a pretty good team for a few years now including numerous trips to the NCAA tournament. All J.J. can do is try his hardest to recruit this guy which it seems he has since we are in the mix with a perinial tournament team. What else do you want him to do??

I don't know if you know much about the MVC, but Witchita State has been a pretty good team for a few years now including numerous trips to the NCAA tournament. All J.J. can do is try his hardest to recruit this guy which it seems he has since we are in the mix with a perinial tournament team. What else do you want him to do??

What do I want him to do? That's pretty simple. I want him to use the NCAA tournament apearance to go out and get some good players. Not wait and hope someone will "fall into our laps". Are you not worried at all that the recruiting class coming off the NCAA tournament appearance possibly will be one of JJ's worst? Or are you so blind that you ignore that type of thing?

What do I want him to do? That's pretty simple. I want him to use the NCAA tournament apearance to go out and get some good players. Not wait and hope someone will "fall into our laps". Are you not worried at all that the recruiting class coming off the NCAA tournament appearance possibly will be one of JJ's worst? Or are you so blind that you ignore that type of thing?

No I would hope that he could use the tournament as a selling point, you are right, but do you not think he has?? He invited this guy to campus, its obvious he is trying to get these guys to go to school here, and not simply waiting for people to "fall in our laps".. I think that was a bad choice of words by Vito, a player that "falls into our laps" would be a walk on.. According to Rivals.com's articles about him J.J. has been in contact with him for awhile, and Thompson was really impressed w/ his visit.. He has made all but one of his visits, the rest is up to Tristan and whatever he thinks best for himself not J.J.

Personally, I think this expectation that 1 NCAA tournament visit in 20 years will have the players lining up is a bit unreasonable. A tourny appearance and associated media exposure is one step in the right direction. However, I don't think players from around the country are thinking, "damn UNT went to the NCAA tourny, I think I'll move to Texas." Players have lives, friends, family, and recruiting relationships, and won't just drop everything on a dime just b/c we had a good year. We need to return the NCAA tourny several times or reach the sweet 16, Elite 8, etc. at least once before we will have the results everyone expects on the recruiting front. I agree that our playoff appearance gives us momentum, as well as another thing JJ can point to about our successes, but we need to repeat a few more times, because right now I bet most folks think it was just a fluke. IMHO, any players (or lack therof) JJ recruits this year on are mostly of his own doing/reputation/abilities, not the NCAA birth.

Edited by chrisfisher

chris and keith, you aren't worried at all that the recruiting class following the NCAA tournament appearance could very well be one of JJ's worst? He has traditionally been a pretty good recruiter, and it worries me a great deal that he hasn't been able to capitalize on the NCAA appearance. That doesn't mean he needs to be recruiting kids from around the country to come here. But one would expect that a coach who usually recruits pretty well would be able to do some big things with just going to the NCAA tournament. But I guess that's just me and perhaps I'm being unreasonable.

all I'm saying is wait until the whole recruiting process is done until you pass judgement.. its hard to say how this recruiting class is going to shape up this early.. coming from someone who claims to have extensive knowledge on the mean green basketball team, I figured you would know that many of J.J.'s key recruits signed well past the original signing day including Calvin Watson who didn't sign with UNT until July, Collin Mangrum wasn't signed until late May, Rich Young signed in late April, Ben Bell wasn't signed until late April, and even your old boy Roderick Flemmings didn't sign until early May.. See all i'm saying is that the recruiting process is on going, and I know you like to jump on J.J. anytime you see a chance but wait this out and when its done then we can decide to fire J.J. or not

Edited by Keith7

chris and keith, you aren't worried at all that the recruiting class following the NCAA tournament appearance could very well be one of JJ's worst? He has traditionally been a pretty good recruiter, and it worries me a great deal that he hasn't been able to capitalize on the NCAA appearance. That doesn't mean he needs to be recruiting kids from around the country to come here. But one would expect that a coach who usually recruits pretty well would be able to do some big things with just going to the NCAA tournament. But I guess that's just me and perhaps I'm being unreasonable.

Ebone - I'm not worried at this point. We signed two good recruits in the McCoy's and I am eager to see what else JJ has under his sleeve. He seems to never disappoint on the recruiting front so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on this one....I think this season we'll be fine with the talent and recruits we have/get.....it is the following year when Quincy and Wooden graduate that I will become more concerned...

Ebone - I'm not worried at this point. We signed two good recruits in the McCoy's and I am eager to see what else JJ has under his sleeve. He seems to never disappoint on the recruiting front so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on this one....I think this season we'll be fine with the talent and recruits we have/get.....it is the following year when Quincy and Wooden graduate that I will become more concerned...

If next year is your concern...then you ought to be worried about the state of our recruiting class. We're not...oor atleast we shouldn't be...recruiting for this season, but rather the following 2-3 years. As of right now, the 2009-2010 season will has 1 player on the roster, Collin Mangrum. This isn't setting up well for the future of our program. If JJ signs 2 players who will have eligibility in 09-10...that still leaves a minimum of 9 and as many as 12 roster spots to fill in the next 2 years. Thats a very high player turnover rate...and no matter how good a recruiter is it is tough to try and find 7 guys in a class who can contribute.

I don't know how much to read into this, but last week we weren't on the top of Thompson list on his rivals profile and now we are. I'm not sure if these are listed in order of the athlete's preference, but for whatever reason we have moved up on the list.

Thompson's profile:

http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/viewprospect...mp;pr_key=43918

I agree with CBL, we are going to run into issues if we keep recruiting players who only have two years of eligibility. It has worked so far, but is not sustainable. I'd really like to see us pick up a few good high school prospects in this class and next, I think Thompson would be a good start to that.

all I'm saying is wait until the whole recruiting process is done until you pass judgement.. its hard to say how this recruiting class is going to shape up this early.. coming from someone who claims to have extensive knowledge on the mean green basketball team, I figured you would know that many of J.J.'s key recruits signed well past the original signing day including Calvin Watson who didn't sign with UNT until July, Collin Mangrum wasn't signed until late May, Rich Young signed in late April, Ben Bell wasn't signed until late April, and even your old boy Roderick Flemmings didn't sign until early May.. See all i'm saying is that the recruiting process is on going, and I know you like to jump on J.J. anytime you see a chance but wait this out and when its done then we can decide to fire J.J. or not

Damn Keith7, dropping the knowledge.

Shhhhh....there will be no logic on the fire JJ board!!!

I am not sure what logic dictates, someone expressing concern about NT basketball recruiting this year or the wisdom of giving out 5 year contracts to any coach, can now be labeled as a JJ hater. Also do not understand the logic of listing a bunch of recruits, that are so called late signees to express a point, when the list includes D1 transfers and a lot of players signed in the early signing period.

Hopefully JJ still has some recruiting surprises. Both of recruits (The Real McCoys) fill immediate needs and NT should be in good shape for the next year. My concern is there is still only one underclassman on the squad so hopefully the next two recruits will be freshmen or D1 transfers with at least two years of eligibility remaining. With bigs: Wooden, Williams, Stewart and Howerton, wings: McCoy, Mangrum, Dennis and Sturns, Point Guards: Bell and Mccoy; the Mean Green should be even better next year. If Adam McCoy really has a 40 inch vertical he can out jump anyone the Green has had since the Blakeley team's McMillan.

Edited by GrandGreen

I am not sure what logic dictates, someone expressing concern about NT basketball recruiting this year or the wisdom of giving out 5 year contracts to any coach, can now be labeled as a JJ hater. Also do not understand the logic of listing a bunch of recruits, that are so called late signees to express a point, when the list includes D1 transfers and a lot of players signed in the early signing period.

Hopefully JJ still has some recruiting surprises. Both of recruits (The Real McCoys) fill immediate needs and NT should be in good shape for the next year. My concern is there is still only one underclassman on the squad so hopefully the next two recruits will be freshmen or D1 transfers with at least two years of eligibility remaining. With bigs: Wooden, Williams, Stewart and Howerton, Swings: McCoy, Mangrum, Dennis and Sturns, Point Guards: Bell and Mccoy; the Mean Green should be even better next year. If Adam McCoy really has a 40 inch vertical he can out jump anyone the Green has had since the Blakeley team's McMillan.

This is good logic. Being critical of JJ and the state of the program AT THE MOMENT is not hating on JJ. And RIGHT NOW our first tourney appearance in 19 years has translated into 2 mid-level juco transfers. Of course there is still time...but the further you move into recruiting, the smaller your pool of players gets to choose from. If anyone says JJ ought be fired is an idiot. But also blind faith that 2 quality signees will end up here because Wat and Young signed later is faulty reasoning. Fulce was higher on our board then Thompson or Smith (especially now he won't be eligible) and we missed out on him and are seemingly hoping Wichita St. is out of scholarships so we can sign their leftovers. JJ has his hits...but there are also misses...and from what I can tell no flawless classes. If the McCoys are hits...its reasonable to be weary that the next 2 are misses. JJ's history:

2002 - Sam Byrd, Michael DeGrate, Ty Thomas, Ron Harris, Scott Roniger - Degrate, a JUCO forward, is the only one to play here as a senior

2003 - Mike Jones, Marqus Mitchell, Calvin Watson, Mark Wilson, Shawnson Johnson - Wilson was highly-touted and never stepped foot at the pit

2004 - Isaac Hines, Michael Sturns, Quincey Williams, Jeffery Simpson, Kendrick Davis - solid class...I'll reserve my opinion on Sturns

2005 - Lionel Brown, Harold Edwards, Harold Stewart, Justin Howerton, Rich Young - we beat Memphis is Lionel were still here :-(

2006 - Ben Bell, Collin Mangrum, Collin Dennis, Roderick Flemings, Johnathon Jackson, Curtis Muse - 1 solid, 1 hurt, 2 questions and 2 gone.

Nothing wrong with airing on the side of caution

Also tap the breaks on the Adam McCoy out jumping anyone...Harold Stewart has thrown some sick dunks in practice and at the rec...he'll push McCoy.

Edited by Censored by Laurie

If next year is your concern...then you ought to be worried about the state of our recruiting class. We're not...oor atleast we shouldn't be...recruiting for this season, but rather the following 2-3 years. As of right now, the 2009-2010 season will has 1 player on the roster, Collin Mangrum. This isn't setting up well for the future of our program. If JJ signs 2 players who will have eligibility in 09-10...that still leaves a minimum of 9 and as many as 12 roster spots to fill in the next 2 years. Thats a very high player turnover rate...and no matter how good a recruiter is it is tough to try and find 7 guys in a class who can contribute.

good points.. I am concerned about the bigs situation, but definitely not in panic mode. I think JJ will pull it out over the next year or two. I also think that JJ may not be as concerned about this as we are because he has faith in the Howerton/Stewart combo that would be next in line after Williams/Wooden leave. Stewart: definitely... Howerton: all I can say is hope the he is working around the clock to get better, especially with his coordination and reaction time.

Edited by chrisfisher

good points.. I am concerned about the bigs situation, but definitely not in panic mode. I think JJ will pull it out over the next year or two. I also think that JJ may not be as concerned about this as we are because he has faith in the Howerton/Stewart combo that would be next in line after Williams/Wooden leave. Stewart: definitely... Howerton: all I can say is hope the he is working around the clock to get better, especially with his coordination and reaction time.

Someone once referred to Howerton as a poor man's Justin Barnett. Oh how I wish those words weren't ringing true.

Someone once referred to Howerton as a poor man's Justin Barnett. Oh how I wish those words weren't ringing true.

I'd be happy if Howerton were a poor man's Justin Barnett!!! He's not even a poor man's Karolyn Haskin!!!