Drc Blog Edwards To Transfer...frees Another Ship

OldTimer

Jones contract, Edwards to transfer

North Texas head men's basketball coach Johnny Jones appears as if he is about to land a long-term extension with the Mean Green, which will have an additional scholarship to work with after the departure of a veteran reserve.

A source close to the negotiations between UNT and Jones' agent said recently that the Mean Green's athletic department administration and Jones are trading proposals on a five-year contract. Jones is entering the final year of his deal at UNT and has been promised a new contract by athletic director Rick Villarreal after taking the Mean Green to the NCAA Tournament last season.

Jones is looking to build on that breakout season in recruiting this spring and will have an extra scholarship to work with after Harold Edwards asked for and was granted a release from his scholarship. Edwards was a promising recruit out of high school, but played sparingly last season at UNT, which has several frontcourt players returning next season.

UNT has already landed the first member of its next recruiting class in point guard Ryan McCoy of Midland College and still has three scholarships remaining heading into national signing day on Wednesday.

For more on Jones' contract situation and the departure of Edwards, see tomorrow's edition of the Denton Record-Chronicle or check out www.dentonrc.com.

Posted by Brett Vito

I felt like Harold was coming into his own at the end of the season. Good luck to him.

I think you may be thinking of Harold Stewart. Harold Edwards only played in about 15 games and had many DNP's towards the end of the season. I am sad to see him go though, I was hoping next year he would have a chance to show what he could do.

I think you may be thinking of Harold Stewart. Harold Edwards only played in about 15 games and had many DNP's towards the end of the season. I am sad to see him go though, I was hoping next year he would have a chance to show what he could do.

You're right...read Harold and immediately thought Stewart. :lol: Oh well, we all make mistakes. Best of luck Harold!

Edited by CMJ

I think you're getting Roderick Flemings and Joseph Fulce mixed up, CMJ.

Fulce is the one that UNO is in on---

Jesus, it's been a really bad couple of days as far as me mixing names up. That's at least the 3rd time in the last 2 days I've made just such a mistake. Work must be getting to me. Sorry all! :blink: