Fw*telegram, Nt Cram Sessions Shift To Field In Spring

OldTimer

Posted on Tue, Mar. 13, 2007 UNT cram sessions shift to field in spring

By TROY PHILLIPS

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

DENTONFormer North Texas coach Darrell Dickey could spin an expression, but new coach Todd Dodge also has a language all his own.

Leave it to Dodge to use a kitchen appliance to describe what the off-season teaching process has been like, leading to today's first spring practice.

"In football, when you go from one step to another, it's almost like you're in a blender sometimes," Dodge said. "The game is moving so fast. When a new staff is teaching new things, it's going way too fast for everybody."

On a five-week cram session since National Signing Day, the Mean Green will take what it has learned into the first of 15 spring workouts at 6:30 tonight at Fouts Field. Open to the public, spring practice ends April 22 with a 3 p.m. spring game.

Familiarity, terminology and competition have been the three tenets of UNT's offense. Dodge and his staff have learned players' names, their personalities and character traits. Players have tried to learn Dodge's terminology and close the learning gap. Coaches have tried to create competitive situations among players in the weight room and on the field.

Dodge said the players have memorized the 21 periods in each spring practice using 1-minute simulations, so they won't waste time "just figuring out where to go." Off-season workouts have been at the same time, as opposed to workout groups at random times.

"We've tried to string together some accountability and trust," Dodge said. "We know more about who has the ability to retain information and focus."

Dodge said neither he nor the staff has watched video of previous teams. He wanted no preconceived notions to interfere with creating competition.

In UNT's 23 seniors and some juniors, Dodge said he has found dependable veterans to bridge gaps between the old and the new. They have taken the "leap of faith" he asked for in December.

"I told them I wouldn't spend all of my time convincing them of this or that," he said. "I told them, 'It's not a high school, college or NFL plan. It's just a plan. You can be cynical and ask why all the time, drag your feet and not get better, or you can jump aboard.' They have."

Dodge said he's anxious to see how the veterans who last won a conference title in 2004 go about trying to regain that feeling.

"I'm just anxious to see a ball spin out of a quarterback's hand and see if it doesn't hit the ground," he said.

ONLINE: meangreensports.com

IN THE KNOW

Three questions

1. Is the starting quarterback even in school? Juniors Daniel Meager and Matt Phillips enter spring as the frontrunners. Woody Wilson could end up at another position, and Nathan Tune is a dark horse. Giovanni Vizza, finishing his senior year at San Antonio Alamo Heights, could beat them all out in August.

2. Can the running game return to form? Yes, but it'll look different with UNT's new spread offense. Seniors Jamario Thomas, drawing raves from coach Todd Dodge, and Deavin Cox, won't be following fullbacks to holes anymore and often will be fifth receivers.

3. Is the system sound enough to win a title in its first season? It's sound, but the players have to surrender every doubt and buy into a proven offense. Defensively, enough veterans return to give the offense needed wiggle room.

Troy Phillips, 817-390-7760 tphillips@star-telegram.com

I don't have Three questions, but I do have one:

1) Do Troy Phillips and Brett Vito go over what each is going to write, and write almost the same thing? It's really odd that two beat writers both end stories with "Three Questions".....

Why is the presumption that Woody might change positions ? Why not Daniel or Matt ?

I thought that Woodrow did a good job when he was given an opportunity. I also thought, meaning no disrespect, that some that were given ample chances, failed to prove that they were they quaterback of the future.

Why is the presumption that Woody might change positions ? Why not Daniel or Matt ?

I thought that Woodrow did a good job when he was given an opportunity. I also thought, meaning no disrespect, that some that were given ample chances, failed to prove that they were they quaterback of the future.

Herein lies the answer.

"Dodge said neither he nor the staff has watched video of previous teams. He wanted no preconceived notions to interfere with creating competition."

Having said that, I too hope Woody stays at the quarterback positoin.