Random Basketball Thoughts

As one who has expressed disappointment in NT's conference performance based on higher expectations this year particularly after the strong oc performance, I do think that the team is as capable as anyone to win the tournament championship. I do remember when one of Gales' team went to the Southland tournament finals with I think 5 total wins for the season. If they had won, NT would have been by far the team with the worst record to ever get into the NCAA tournament. As I recall they didn't lose by many in the SL tournament finals.

I do think this year's team suffered from the Davis injury. They actually adjusted very well to his absence but I think when he returned there were definitely chemistry problems. Sturns, Young, and Watson who were excellent in elevating their game in Davis's absence were slow to adjust to his return.

There seems to be general agreement in the Belt that NT has one if not the most overall talented teams in the league, yet they got no respect in the "all conference" selections. I hope that this motivates the team in the tournament, they have a lot to prove.

On basketball attendance, those at the last game should know that as bad as the announced crowd was, it was greatly overstated. I don't know what the problems are or have been for most of the last three decades. The lack of support from the alumni, students, staff and city of Denton is pitiful. But frankly you cannot force people to attend. There is a stigma that prevails that UNT is some how second class in athletics, obviously this is self perpetuating and changing the perception is a slow and arduous process. As far as the student attendance, as much as I would like a ten times increase; I am not sure if anything can be done in the short term. I find the lack of promotion among students a red herring argument. I don't think if each student was hand delivered an engraved invitation it would change much. To be perfectly frank, students have already paid to attend and if they don't it is their loss.

I am going to Lafayette and hope as many of you as possible can go. This team has had a good year and could have a much better one depending on their performance in the tournament. The team is definitely worthy of our support.

Edited by GrandGreen