Sbc Revenue

Guest GrayEagleOne

Guest GrayEagleOne

I ran across revenue reports to the NCAA for the year 2004-05 as reported by the Indianapolis Star. For some reason Arkansas State and Middle Tennessee State did were not included in the report. I ccategorized the type of revenue (except for a small amount of miscellaneous) and below is what I found. Since this board does not lend itself well to spreadsheets I'll take each category separately and comment on them. I couldn't separate the football revenue because many schools do not designate revenue for a particular sport.

I also included member Western Kentucky who will not begin conference play until 2008.

All figures are in $millions.

Ticket Sales

Western Kentucky 1.307

UL-Lafayette .944

Troy .641

North Texas .421

UL-Monroe .333

Florida Atlantic .317

Florida International .164

Of course, Western Kentucky's revenue is primarily from men's basketball. I believe that the two Louisianas require their students to purchase tickets in order to attend.

Student Fees

Florida International 10.757

Florida Atlantic 6.527

North Texas 4.316

Western Kentucky 4.238

Troy .475

UL-Lafayette 0

UL-Monroe 0

Our students gripe about high athletic fees? Think about the two Florida schools. Florida Atlantic is a little smaller than we are and Florida International is only two or three thousand larger and essentially includes a junior college since you can get an associate's degree. No college in Louisiana is allowed to charge a fee for athletics. LSU doesn't need it so the others are forced to do without also.

Guarantees

UL-Monroe 1.630

North Texas 1.241

Troy 1.234

UL-Lafayette .926

Florida Atlantic .436

Florida International .296

Western Kentucky .281

The top four or five universities in the conference play a lot of money/body bag games. Monroe is the worst; they play at least four every year.

Contributions

North Texas 2.610

Troy 2.109

UL-Lafayette 1.497

Western Kentucky 1.132

Florida International 1.004

UL-Monroe .995

Florida Atlantic .949

While the figure is not great, we are still a half a million ahead of anyone else in the conference. Look for it to improve dramatically in the report two years from now.

Institutional Support

Troy 6.128

Western Kentucky 5.810

Florida Atlantic 4.927

UL-Lafayette 3.233

UL-Monroe 2.903

Florida International 1.374

North Texas 0

THIS WAS THE REAL EYE-OPENER! Not only are we the only one in the conference to have no monetary support for athletics from our university but as far as I checked, the only Division I college in Texas! UH athletics got nearly $9 million from their college. More than seven million to UTEP athletics. More that five to SFA sports. The lowest figure that I found was $800,000+ to A&M athletics. The other money bags school, UT, received more than a million. Hell, Lamar, who doesn't play football got more than a million. How can our faculty complain about what's spent on athletics when it doesn't cost them a dime. And we felt guilty about having to borrow a million to finish the athletic center.

Media

North Texas 1.191

Florida Atlantic .657

Troy .579

Western Kentucky .541

UL-Lafayette .486

UL-Monroe .471

Florida International .459

This includes money received from the NCAA (after conference expenses) and local media contracts. North Texas money probably included payment from the last NO Bowl against Southern Miss.

Advertising

Western Kentucky .593

Florida Atlantic .467

Troy .358

North Texas .346

Florida International .211

UL-Monroe .144

UL-Lafayette .101

We're just hanging with the middle of the pack here. It seems to me that we should be leading the Belt in advertising revenue.

Concessions, Programs, Parking

North Texas .214

UL-Lafayette .145

Western Kentucky .133

Troy .108

Florida Atlantic .072

Florida International .027

UL-Monroe .025

That was the year that attendance started to dwindle so I don't know how we remained on top. Maybe it was the kettlecorn sales.

Total Revenue

Western Kentucky 14.578

Florida Atlantic 14.455

Florida International 14.431

Troy 11.976

North Texas 10.643

UL-Lafayette 7.622

UL-Monroe 6.652

Not big time numbers but we would have been second had the others received no financial help from their university but we don't and they did. End of statement.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Correct me where I am wrong, but doesn't North Texas "balance" the athletic budget every year with "discretionary" funds from the NT President?

I don't think so. According to the report that goes to the Department of Education, we had an excess of around $1.2 million revenue over expenses. The report was signed by Dr. Bataille so it's recent.

Was that ever the case? Yes, I'm pretty sure that the administration bailed out the AD in one or more of Jitter Nolen's term of office. Probably others as well.

It's difficult to make true comparisons in these reports as different schools have different reporting procedures & criteria. Here's the UNT Department of Education site info. The "Not allocated by gender or sport" probably includes donations and student fees in the UNT report.

http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/InstDetail.asp?CRITERIA=3

I don't think so. According to the report that goes to the Department of Education, we had an excess of around $1.2 million revenue over expenses. The report was signed by Dr. Bataille so it's recent.

Was that ever the case? Yes, I'm pretty sure that the administration bailed out the AD in one or more of Jitter Nolen's term of office. Probably others as well.

That was the case during the Helwig years, as I have seen those financial reports (to the tune of around 1.5 million/yr). If we have a surplus nowadays, thats another testimony to the work RV has done.

Guest GrayEagleOne

It's difficult to make true comparisons in these reports as different schools have different reporting procedures & criteria. Here's the UNT Department of Education site info. The "Not allocated by gender or sport" probably includes donations and student fees in the UNT report.

http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/InstDetail.asp?CRITERIA=3

It's not the same report, 61. I'm familiar with the equity in athletics report that you linked and it has no category for student fees and donations. Nor for media, conference distributions, institutional support, etc. The NCAA report does. The Indianapolis Star goes to the NCAA headquarters there in Indianapolis to get the numbers. I have not seen the NCAA put it on line.

In addition, the Office of Education report is for a year later. It is, however, where I got my figure for the $1.2 million surplus.

Institutional Support

Troy 6.128

Western Kentucky 5.810

Florida Atlantic 4.927

UL-Lafayette 3.233

UL-Monroe 2.903

Florida International 1.374

North Texas 0

THIS WAS THE REAL EYE-OPENER! Not only are we the only one in the conference to have no monetary support for athletics from our university but as far as I checked, the only Division I college in Texas! UH athletics got nearly $9 million from their college. More than seven million to UTEP athletics. More that five to SFA sports. The lowest figure that I found was $800,000+ to A&M athletics. The other money bags school, UT, received more than a million. Hell, Lamar, who doesn't play football got more than a million. How can our faculty complain about what's spent on athletics when it doesn't cost them a dime. And we felt guilty about having to borrow a million to finish the athletic center.

I'm a little confused. Can you explain this in more detail. Does this mean there is no funding in our general budget for athletics? That seems incorrect. But judging on the history of support our admin gave the Athl. Dept. it's not surprising.

GO MEAN GREEN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest GrayEagleOne

I'm a little confused. Can you explain this in more detail. Does this mean there is no funding in our general budget for athletics? That seems incorrect. But judging on the history of support our admin gave the Athl. Dept. it's not surprising.

GO MEAN GREEN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm confused too. This NCAA report seems to say that North Texas athletics must be self-supporting. There are two lines in the report, one for Direct Institutional Support and one for Indirect Institutional Support and both lines show 0. It could be a reporting error but I can't believe that we would be that dumb. I checked the report of around twenty other universities, including about ten in Texas and NONE of them showed zero on those lines. Remember, this is a report on revenue, not on expenses. I'm sure that we pay salaries and scholarships but from this report it would appear that the administration does not fund the athletic department. If the administration made up any deficits then, to me, that amount should be on the Direct Institutional Support line.

If North Texas is the only institution in Texas that is totally self-supporting then we should give RV a medal, bonus or some kind of award.

Guest Aquila_Viridis

The only 1A conference in the country where 2 members are in a constant, tiring food fight over their identity crisis. RV please deliver us from this quagmire! :wacko:

Hey! That is no way to talk about Florida Interlantic.

Guest Aquila_Viridis

Nope it's the University of Louisiana Branch @ Monroe and the University of Louisiana Branch @ Lafayette.

I thought that was well enough understood but without being absolutely clear from the original statement so that a shot at the other ones would be funny at the expense of all four. In fact I never refer to the one in Monroe as anything but Northeast. They can call themselves the Wargobblers or whatever they want; it is still Northeast and they are still a bunch of fried turkeys. I have considerably less disdain for 'Louisiana's Rajin Cajuns'. To be clear, though, I have just established the University of Louisiana at Collierville, Tennessee, and I lay sole claim to the term 'University of Louisiana'. Further I dispute use of the term 'Louisiana State University' as I think of Louisiana as more of a province or rough assemblage of parishes than a state. Our subsidiary institutions in Monroe and Lafayette have been timid in relations with the more widely recognized university in Baton Rouge and its political supporters, but a new day is dawning. The tiger will bow before the nutria of The Real University of Louisiana.

Oh by the way, I also just founded Florida Pacific University, but we are pacifists (but without the fists) and don't intend to fight with the others for recognition.

I thought that was well enough understood but without being absolutely clear from the original statement so that a shot at the other ones would be funny at the expense of all four. In fact I never refer to the one in Monroe as anything but Northeast. They can call themselves the Wargobblers or whatever they want; it is still Northeast and they are still a bunch of fried turkeys. I have considerably less disdain for 'Louisiana's Rajin Cajuns'. To be clear, though, I have just established the University of Louisiana at Collierville, Tennessee, and I lay sole claim to the term 'University of Louisiana'. Further I dispute use of the term 'Louisiana State University' as I think of Louisiana as more of a province or rough assemblage of parishes than a state. Our subsidiary institutions in Monroe and Lafayette have been timid in relations with the more widely recognized university in Baton Rouge and its political supporters, but a new day is dawning. The tiger will bow before the nutria of The Real University of Louisiana.

Oh by the way, I also just founded Florida Pacific University, but we are pacifists (but without the fists) and don't intend to fight with the others for recognition.

Comedy Gold right there.