Best Of Denton?

Objective Aggie

OK, I don't see a better board for my question, apologize if there is a better home for it.

I have lived in Denton County for about ten years now. Now that we are a little closer to Denton (Argyle / Bartonville area), we find ourselves going to Denton quite a bit. It is just as close are Lewisville, Southlake, etc. And it has an authentic charm that the generica suburbs lack.

However, I still feel like I am missing the best of Denton. What are the best restaurants? What are the best hidden places to go?

Right now, we mostly eat at Good Eats (last one standing in DFW best I can tell), Rudys (another chain but I like their food), RJ's hamburgers (or someone's initials, cant remember exactly), and The Tomato (I loved the Flying Tomato when at aTm but it closed down in 1990). Tried a few other places. We have gotten the kid's birthday cakes at Candy Haven, gotten halloween costumes at Roses, bought a guitar at Sky Guitars, but wondering what else might be out there that is true Denton (but not for college students only). By the way, Sky Guitars is very "true" Denton to me. Eric closes his store when he wants to go to a concert best I can tell.

Anyhow, what places would you say are the Best of Denton?

To make this football related, I ate a Rudy's turkey sandwich at Fouts this past year. Best stadium grub I have had in awhile.

Signed,

Sleepless in Denton

Everyone has different tastes.

Siam at Carriage Square if you like Thai food.

Green House on North Locust.

Hannah's just south of the square.

Three Finns just off of I35 and the Loop for seafood.

Frilly's on Denison just north of University for Cajun.

Chinatown Cafe on West University is popular for Chinese Buffet.

Sweet Basil is also popular for Thai and is located at Denton Crossing.

Burgundy's ($$$) for Steaks is just west of the square on Hickory.

Bari's is near campus on Oak for Italian.

of course, opinions on food vary from person to person, but here are some of my favs....

Ice Cream - Beth Marie's - (the square) is the best ever

Thai - Thai Ocha - (on Malone) is awesome, my buddie's wife is from asia (as in not a US citizen) and she said it was great.

Pizza - Baris for NY style - closest to NY as I have found, otherwise, go tomato

Burgers - Big time at Bob's (loop 288 and 35) - I think Katz comes in second but I love the burgers here

Bar Food - Toss up between Bean Burger at Cool Beans("Fry street"), or Turkey Delight from Riprocks

Desert - Bochy's Bistro (loop 288 and 35) - get the Cityscape... you'll see....

Fancy Fun - Hannahs (just off the square) Not really fancy, but the menu consists of dishes such as seafood crepes, ahi tuna sandwiches, etc.

Mexican - there's a place on locust that I can't remember the name of, but it's next to the glass company. it looks like a little shack and they don't speak english there but it's great food. Get the Horchata with your meal.

Cajun - Frilly's (university) - winner by default. Being from New Orleans, it kinda sucks, but it's closer than Razoo's.. that's for sure.

Coffee - Karma ("Fry street") - smokey as an ashtray, but the rocket shake makes it worth it. Not really a coffee drinker though so don't go by me.

Burritos - Hooya (Ave C) - I actually like Chipotle better, but Hooya is more "Denton"

Kettle Corn - Fouts - although I haven't seen them making it there this last year. Just the bags. I didn't wander around much though.

Another cool place to go is Andy's on the square. Get a Calzone there. Funky hours.

Edited by eleazar

of course, opinions on food vary from person to person, but here are some of my favs....

Mexican - there's a place on locust that I can't remember the name of, but it's next to the glass company. it looks like a little shack and they don't speak english there but it's great food. Get the Horchata with your meal.

La Mexicana.

Get the barbecoa Torta, and a huge glass of Ice tea, its about $5 and damn good.

If you like Greek theres Yummi's on University between Locust and Elm by the Blockbuster, and that International Food place on Sunset behind the new Wells Fargo.

MG's Burgers on University between Elm and Locust is pretty good too.

I've heard theres a little Indian restaurant on Avenue C in a gas station by New York Subs. I thought it sounded pretty shady but from what I understand, its the owners wife who does the cooking and they set up a little restaurant on one side and the food is supposed to be really good.

The Tomato is my fave pizza place, but is it still open? Have they made a decision about where/if they will move? This is the first VD in years (travel issues) that we didn't grab up a bunch of heart shaped pies.

The NY Subway is always wonderful.

I like hanging out at McKenna park with the kids.

Is Denton Co Hamburger Company on the square not around anymore?

Apparently my fave chinese place closed a year or so ago, Cafe China out by the mall.

Right there with you on a Candy Haven birthday cake.

San Bay studios, by TWU, for a t-shirt. Roy will custom make if you need something screened.

The port-a-potty outside Fouts beats the hell out of "the Wall" inside Fouts, if you need to go to the bathroom while in Denton, but then again I am a fan of the divider between each man flopping around.

And there used to be this great Putt-Putt that....ah, long story.

BTW, where were you at Breakfast Club this weekend, OA?

Most of the good ones have already been mentioned, but here's my list of favorites:

Ice Cream - there's nothing like Beth Marie's on the square. They sell ice cream by the ounce. Try the hot apple pie sundae, but make sure you share!

Burritos - Hooya off Avenue C by the Pancho's.

Girly food - The Chestnut Tree on the square. They have really good beer bread.

Random food - The Greenhouse off Locust

Seafood - Three Fins off Loop 288

Burgers - Katz Hamburgers off Avenue C

Authentic Mexican - Mi Casita off Carroll. The food is a bit salty, but it's good for the price.

Pizza - J.J.'s canadian bacon and pineapple or cheese pizza

This is the first VD in years

Sorry to hear about your flare-up. Have you tried a save?

And there used to be this great Putt-Putt that....ah, long story.

BTW, where were you at Breakfast Club this weekend, OA?

We had a basketball double header and then baseball practice. I should have called, no excuses. The boys did pretty well. I think next week should be much easier.

Ice Cream - Beth Marie's - though, i think it a rip off.

Asian - There is this little fast food joint that makes the best chicken fried rice called Oriental Express. Love it.

Pizza - The Tomato is greatness. Though i haven't had it in YEARS... i used to love Lucas Pizza in that crappy mall of ours.

Burgers - Listen, you have to go to Denton County Independent Hamburger for this. One on the square and one on Sunset. It is the best in Denton. no lie!

Bar Food - this is debatable... i have always enjoyed the Loophole on the square.

Desert - Bochy's Bistro is pretty good stuff. The other one I used to like alot went out of business.

Fancy Fun - I would agree with eleazer. Hannahs has a nice environment with some good food.

Mexican - Mi Casita has some nice stuff. I also like El Matador. But, real great food is Miquelitos in Krum. On Saturday nights, you get one free margarita that is pretty good.

Coffee - I don't remember the name of the coffee shop, but I love the environment of the place near City Park Apartments..

Burritos - Definitely Hooya!

But, if you haven't gone... You must go to Denton Co. Independent Hamburger. You wont regret!

A few places we always go when we're up there:

Cafe Food: Ruby's on the Square--wife loves the smothered steak on the buffet, and we usually gorge ourselves. The guy who owns the place is a safari hunter, and can tell some interesting stories. Spot MG gear on the waitresses from time to time.

Hamburger: I'll vote for DCIHC as well. We usually hit the one on Sunset.

Mexican: There's a couple of places--not sure which if any are still open, because the last few times we've been by, we couldn't tell if they were still in business, but (IIRC) the place on 377 across from the old Groovy Mule (forgetting the name, but maybe Casa Ramirez?) The second is a mexian bakery on south Elm almost at Eagle.

Chinese: Chinatown

Others of note: Bari's, Yummy's, Metzler's market on S. Teasley/Londonderry for the incredible beer selection, and OK 'que.

Edited by LongJim

Hamburger - Denton County

Ice Cream - Beth Marie's

Chinese - Chinatown

Steak - Traildust (it's a little outside of town but worth the drive!)

Sub Sandwich - NY Subs

I haven't lived in Denton in five years but they now have a Texas Roadhouse which is great!

There's also a great little Greek place near Carrol and University kinda across University from NY Subs.

Mexican: There's a couple of places--not sure which if any are still open, because the last few times we've been by, we couldn't tell if they were still in business, but (IIRC) the place on 377 across from the old Groovy Mule (forgetting the name, but maybe Casa Ramirez?) The second is a mexian bakery on south Elm almost at Eagle.

Ah yes, my favorite Mexican Food place in Denton - Mi Ranchito. Doesn't look like much from the highway, but man oh man - that place has the best Mexican food in the metroplex.

well I have not lived in Denton for a year now. But when I pass through this Saturday Im hitting up a few places.

mi casita off carroll,

denton co. on the square,

donuts at davis purity,

i heard chopsticks has moved to ave c and scripture i think ill look and repost great asian food.

metzlers' bbq.

oh and if you need a bike go to denton bicycle center.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned it but as far as Mexican food goes El Guapo's is awesome! They have homemade tortillas and the enchiladas are great! It's right of the Square south of Jupiter House.

Hooligans is a good place to watch a game, play some pool and darts. It's right next to Jupiter House on the Square.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned it but as far as Mexican food goes El Guapo's is awesome! They have homemade tortillas and the enchiladas are great! It's right of the Square south of Jupiter House.

Hooligans is a good place to watch a game, play some pool and darts. It's right next to Jupiter House on the Square.

Beat me to it. I was wondering why this place hadn't been mentioned! Love it, love it, LOVE IT!

Edited by NorthTexasFan