By My Count....

FirefightnRick

Since to some around here, it seems to be some kind of a major measuring stick as to where our future lies in how many kids we get to commit over a competing school who has also offered. If true then the future is certainly bright.

We have been told for years how this is such a tough place to work at and recruit to, so much so that we have to do it secretly. And I know it's early and we could still lose a kid or two before signing day. But this just shows you what all of us have known for years, that North Texas is an attractive program and is the place to be.

By my count, we have commitments over: Rice, Utep, Iowa State, Nebraska, Wyoming, Army, A&M, Cal, Alabama, Utah State, ULM, Missouri, Utah, Central Florida, Baylor, Air Force, Houston and Navy. We have at least one decommit from Nevada, and maybe more schools? We also have one kiddo who was willing to turn down a ship from Rice and another kid from Navy willing to transfer here as well.

Anyone else?

Feb 7th can't get here fast enough.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Since to some around here, it seems to be some kind of a major measuring stick as to where our future lies in how many kids we get to commit over a competing school who has also offered. If true then the future is certainly bright.

We have been told for years how this is such a tough place to work at and recruit to, so much so that we have to do it secretly. And I know it's early and we could still lose a kid or two before signing day. But this just shows you what all of us have known for years, that North Texas is an attractive program and is the place to be.

By my count, we have commitments over: Rice, Utep, Iowa State, Nebraska, Wyoming, Army, A&M, Cal, Alabama, Utah State, ULM, Missouri, Utah, Central Florida, Baylor, Air Force, Houston and Navy. We have at least one decommit from Nevada, and maybe more schools? We also have one kiddo who was willing to turn down a ship from Rice and another kid from Navy willing to transfer here as well.

Anyone else?

Feb 7th can't get here fast enough.

Rick

Good post, FFW.

The amazing part to me with this projected 2007 recruiting class is how Todd Dodge and his staff have (still) just been on the UNT payroll for a few weeks.

If all this is a prelude of things to come when Coach Dodge and Assistants actually have a year (or 2) to recruit............jumpin' jehosophats! :blink:

Tho I think NT is overall an attractive program but really how much of it is TD? I think TD has put the recruiting level at a higher level as people just believes in what he has to offer. HOWEVER...lets say TD did not come here....and instead it was Nix or any other one of those guys that were rumoured prior to TD's hiring. Do you really think we would be getting the caliber of recruits that TD is getting? I think we may have gotten some but I dont think it would be near what TD has done so far....all things considered. TD has EVERYTHING going for him right now and he can practically run the table with this program but I think he has one more thing left to do and thats to produce on the field and produce W's. If we dont produce W's then all this recruting and exposure means nothing. I'm not saying it needs to be this year....in fact I think it will probably take atleast 2-3 years before TD has all his players and has a realistic chance of taking the program to the "next level." I know he has some experience in coaching in the college ranks but that was so long ago and we were not even Div 1A at that time....I believe there will be a huge learning curve for TD and staff and quite frankly as much as it pains me to this....I cant say I will be expecting much from the team other than fighting til the very end but really i'm just expecting from all of us fans, students, alums and etc to take the program to the next level for the immediate impact. But going back to FFR's post...yeah I think TD has done a hell of a job in recruiting with just a few weeks at hand but I think it has much more to do with TD himself and not the NT football program. But nonetheless who cares cuz in the end its NT thats benefiting so its all good :D

Thoughts anyone?

Edited by Green Mean

Tho I think NT is overall an attractive program but really how much of it is TD? I think TD has put the recruiting level at a higher level as people just believes in what he has to offer. HOWEVER...lets say TD did not come here....and instead it was Nix or any other one of those guys that were rumoured prior to TD's hiring. Do you really think we would be getting the caliber of recruits that TD is getting? I think we may have gotten some but I dont think it would be near what TD has done so far....all things considered.

HAHA! This makes me laugh. All the opponents of TD's hiring were talking about how we needed an experienced college recruiter and not just a "high school" coach. What do these people have to say now? Haha, I love it!

HAHA! This makes me laugh. All the opponents of TD's hiring were talking about how we needed an experienced college recruiter and not just a "high school" coach. What do these people have to say now? Haha, I love it!

Not to rain on your parade, but non of these recruits have signed anything yet; non of these recruits have played a down of D1A ball; Coach Dodge has not coached one second in a D1A football game; several of the new coaches have never coached at the college level; and we still have few OL/DL recruits. Personally, I like our chances. I think Dodge can coach.

Good post, FFW.

The amazing part to me with this projected 2007 recruiting class is how Todd Dodge and his staff have (still) just been on the UNT payroll for a few weeks.

If all this is a prelude of things to come when Coach Dodge and Assistants actually have a year (or 2) to recruit............jumpin' jehosophats! :blink:

Holy cow Jim that is one short post!!! :o

I am so excited to see what Dodge is capable of!!! :P

Very good point as there are still some folks who are not happy with this hire and are now down to nitpicking the recruitment process with concerns that we are not getting any kids that other schools want. Under the previous HC this place was painted as a toilet, a "most difficult place....". Remember, ..."all of our kids know their backs are against the wall when they sign here". I haven't seen one qoute of nagativeness out of this staff and I don't expect we'll ever see or hear any either. What I have seen is positives and talk about "we can win at North Texas". As for recruits we have seen great players come here before in the past. It's not all North Texas, but it's not all TD either. Along with our administration taking our campus to the next level(AC Center, REC center, new dorms and Health Center etc...) North Texas as a university has had the ability to make the correct decisions in hiring a good, positive coach all along. We have done it many times in the past and we have done it again now. This is why some of the older nesters like Plummer and Silver and Deep have for the past 9 years struggled to swallow all the stupid excuses we were fed.

Deep

Not to rain on your parade, but non of these recruits have signed anything yet; non of these recruits have played a down of D1A ball; Coach Dodge has not coached one second in a D1A football game; several of the new coaches have never coached at the college level; and we still have few OL/DL recruits. Personally, I like our chances. I think Dodge can coach.

Again this thread has nothing to do with wins or losses but the simple aspect of recruiting kids and getting them to orally commit and then putting it out there for the pubilc to see and get excited about rather than doing it secretly and under a hush hush system. It's all relevant to me. You sell fun and excitement. You bring in a fun and exciting coach who installs a fun and exciting product on the field which means you go after fun and exciting players. Then you tell the public and the alumni about it and all they do is get excited about it enough that they buy and/or renew more season tickets and MGC memberships in a 30 day period faster than any other time before as well as buy up all the tickets to the football banquet in 6 days.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick