Under Armour

Eagle-96

I'm not gonna lie but I would like to have more UNT gear but unfortunately I feel it is too pricey for my budget as most of the stuff you can only get at the union bookstore or a few other places in Denton I believe. I know by paying those prices you are still representing your school but I dont go over my budget and pay 20 bucks for a just a tshirt. Frankly I think if the apparel was cheaper at school more people would be more motivated not only to buy much much more but would also make people that have never bought UNT gear to start buying stuff. I know it probably wont happen but I believe they need to lower prices for the gear. I mean as a college student I cant afford a lot of UNT gear and even if you're just an avg joe it aint easy. But maybe its just me.

If you are still a student, you can easily get free UNT T-shirts just about anywhere you go. Specifically in the Spring semester, look for University Day around April 5. They give out tons of free T-shirts then. When I was a student, I collected so many free shirts that I can go an entire month wearing no other shirt but a North Texas one, and still not have to do laundry.

They also have many opportunities for free shirts during the football season. Homecoming and Parents Weekend are the two biggest that come to mind. Yes, you overpay some when you shop at the bookstore, but if you really want North Texas gear, you can get it for free without much trouble. And if you live in Housing, you can get even more free shirts...

You guys make a nice point about not over-paying but you also have to look into the costs associated with the clothing. I would gladly pay a little more for a shirt that looks nice and is made of nice quality than I would for a crappy shirt of poor quality.

I would hope that our image and clothing would become cool for everyone to wear. I would love to passing through some small city on my way to.....mexico and see some UNT gear. But right now you barely see any of that in Denton. I like the idea of the fitted hats with just the eagle, but I also think that we could do better as far as fashion is concerned.

Lets face it, we're guys, we're not into fashion...right? I believe that to an extent we are. I think that if our clothes and logos were 'cooler' to the majority then we would feel more comfortable about spending the extra money it took to design them.

I would like to see a universal color (forest or dark green, something like the athletic page is) and get AWAY from the light lime green (the color of our main unt.edu page). I would like to see more dark green on black or visa versa. I would like to get our eagle more 'hip'. I would also like to be known as NT and maybe drop the U (if that makes any sense).

I wish there was some way we could get a group together to decide and finalize some of these things.

Have you walked around Denton lately? The campus shows far more green pride than it has, judging from posts on the board, ever. I've seen more Mean Green gear in Vista Ridge Mall this past year than I saw my three years of undergraduate on campus. Also, the bookstore's new "fashion" clothing line for girls, although not green, does attract a interest from a demographic previously not that interested in North Texas apparel.

The new "lime" green you're talking about is the official green of North Texas. We just made that change about two(?) years ago, and it's here to stay. The correct name for that color is "Kelly Green." And if you think that's lime, you should have seen the green in the '70s. Deal with the color and support it - whether you like it or not, it's the official shade of North Texas and it will look better on TV. For a reference of the "Flying Worm" eagle and the lime green, see Flying Worm and scroll to the bottom of the page.

Edited by untgirl04

Last summer and this past Fall 06' semester, I worked at Sports Authority. Right around August, we got a TON of Texas Tech gear because they now have UA uniforms. Before, we had a ton of UT stuff but since UA is hot right now and Tech has UA, we had the most quanity of that and it was also displayed at the front of the store for the remainder for the season.

So maybe having this UA gear will help us get our stuff out there. People WILL buy things just because it's UA and it looks good, no matter what it says. So this is a win-win for us because if they just buy it for the looks, it still has our name on it and promotes our school even if they dont care for UNT!

GMG!

Have you walked around Denton lately? The campus shows far more green pride than it has, judging from posts on the board, ever. I've seen more Mean Green gear in Vista Ridge Mall this past year than I saw my three years of undergraduate on campus. Also, the bookstore's new "fashion" clothing line for girls, although not green, does attract a interest from a demographic previously not that interested in North Texas apparel.

The new "lime" green you're talking about is the official green of North Texas. We just made that change about two(?) years ago, and it's here to stay. The correct name for that color is "Kelly Green." And if you think that's lime, you should have seen the green in the '70s. Deal with the color and support it - whether you like it or not, it's the official shade of North Texas and it will look better on TV. For a reference of the "Flying Worm" eagle and the lime green, see Flying Worm and scroll to the bottom of the page.

No I have not walked around denton lately as Im sure you have. I am glad to hear about the green pride, and perhaps we could all the shirts to be this 'kelley green' you are talking about.

I mean not to be negative. I just wish a few things would change.

Great link but it only confuses me more.

There continues to be dilution between Mean Green and the Eagle. The Oklahoma Sooner’s are never confused with Big Red, a slogan often used in cheers. Shouldn't we be the UNT Eagles....cheering Go Mean Green? The fact that the "word" Eagles is never used is confusing at best. How are people to know what kind of bird is on my shirt? It's like Texas being the UT Hook’em Horns. No, they are the Texas Long Horns and their mascot is the Long Horn. You will hear people all day long use the slogan Hook’em Horns, but the are Texas Long Horns regardless.

Are we the UNT Mean Green with a random bird of prey on our helmet. I say either loose the bird and brand UNT Mean Green or keep the bird and make it UNT Eagles. The slogan Mean Green would then be synonymous with Big Red or Hook’em Horns. IMHO Mr. Eagle either needs to be named as the mascot or he should be removed from the equation. Am I the only one confused here?

Wow! Ok guys, I'm assuming we have college degres or are going to get one in at least the next 4 years so I figured we were smarter than this. Let me put this to rest...

For example: Take the University of Alabama. Their mascot is the Elephant (to confirm, click here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Alabama) BUT...we don't know them as the Elephants do we? Nope, we know them as the Crimson Tide ie. The Alabama Crimson Tide. Crimson Tide is something we like to call a "Nickname." Elephant is something we call a "Mascot." Either can be used but usually one is more popular than the other.

NOW, let's look at our school, the University of North Texas. Our mascot is the Eagles (to confirm, click here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_north_texas) BUT...we usually refer to ourselves as the Mean Green which from what we learned above is called a NICKNAME.

So let's recap...North Texas mascot = EAGLE / Alabama mascot = ELEPHANT.

North Texas nickname = MEAN GREEN/ Alabama nickname = CRIMSON TIDE.

I bet people in Alabama don't get upset or confused about who they are and what they prefer to be called. SO...let's remember this and not have anymore debates over this silly matter. It's VERY easy to understand. I hope we all learned a lot today and as always, GMG!!

Wow! Ok guys, I'm assuming we have college degres or are going to get one in at least the next 4 years so I figured we were smarter than this. Let me put this to rest...

For example: Take the University of Alabama. Their mascot is the Elephant (to confirm, click here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Alabama) BUT...we don't know them as the Elephants do we? Nope, we know them as the Crimson Tide ie. The Alabama Crimson Tide. Crimson Tide is something we like to call a "Nickname." Elephant is something we call a "Mascot." Either can be used but usually one is more popular than the other.

NOW, let's look at our school, the University of North Texas. Our mascot is the Eagles (to confirm, click here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_north_texas) BUT...we usually refer to ourselves as the Mean Green which from what we learned above is called a NICKNAME.

I bet people in Alabama don't get upset or confused about who they are and what they prefer to be called. SO...let's remember this and not have anymore debates over this silly matter. It's VERY easy to understand. I hope we all learned a lot today and as always, GMG!!

Well, I certainly hope so. I get real tired of the debate/discussion about mascot/nickname and who we are really. We are both! I never understood why it was such a hard concept for people to understand.

Well, I certainly hope so. I get real tired of the debate/discussion about mascot/nickname and who we are really. We are both! I never understood why it was such a hard concept for people to understand.

Touche SilverEagle!

We are saying the same thing, just pick Mean Green or the word Eagle for branding. The fact that I (representing a typical new fan) was confused is the problem. Comparing an elephant emblem (obvious one of a kind animal) to a picture of a generic bird of prey emblem and branding it is the problem. The reason to brand is for the people who are not familiar your school or product to get familiar as easily as possible. I am a fledgling so do miss the opportunity of a first impression here. If the first impression is confusing then don’t complain when the rest of the world outside UNT has no idea who you are. My point is that unless you happen to attend UNT you would have no idea their mascot is an Eagle. It’s a bird until someone tells you it’s an eagle. The bird emblem is as generic as a paw print. Is the paw print a lion, tiger, panther, wildcat, bob cat, house cat, you get the picture.

I’m not suggesting that UNT drop the eagle as a mascot. I’m just suggesting that they either let the general public know the bird emblem is an eagle or leave the bird off the brand. Nowhere in the branding is the word eagle used which leads to the confusion of whether it is a hawk, falcon, seagull, eagle, or ninja sparrow. IMHO, leave the eagle picture completely out of the branding and focus totally on branding Mean Green with UNT. Does Alabama have an elephant on their helmet or Crimson Tide on their uniform? Maybe 2 out of a hundred people would know that the mascot of Bama is an elephant. Why? They have not branded the elephant. They have branded Crimson Tide, Roll Tide, etc. So, if you want to use this unusual Bama team for your nobrainer example then at least compare apples to apples and replicate the branding of the Crimson Tide…..Mean Green.

The ultimate test for any brand is how quickly it sticks. Less is more. Make it to where someone as ignorant as Cool can get it the first time and you’re probably good. Remember, the fact that I (representing thousands of potential new fans) was confused is a problem. If you want outsiders to refer to NTSU for the next 20 years keep it confusing.

Touche?

The problem is that until a few years ago our name and mascot was actually the eagle. That is the problem....some moron from SGA I believe wanted to change the whole thing and it got and has everybody confused. I personally like the way UT does it with their hook em. We should be the Eagles and our hook em be mean green. Thats just me tho.

The problem is that until a few years ago our name and mascot was actually the eagle. That is the problem....some moron from SGA I believe wanted to change the whole thing and it got and has everybody confused. I personally like the way UT does it with their hook em. We should be the Eagles and our hook em be mean green. Thats just me tho.

How many is "a few" years?

Also, it wasn't someone in the SGA that tried to change the mascot; it was a group of students that turned in the required number of signatures (300 back then?) to add the dumb squirrel to the ballet for a secondary mascot.

It's possible when he mentioned "Lime Green" that he was talking about the many, first run T shirts handed out last year to students etc, which were what I refer to as "Tooth-Paste" green, not the correct, "Kelly Green". Want to see a local known team wearing correct Kelly Green? Southlake Carroll. That's the original, North Texas, "Kelly" green that most of our past from Mean Joe to Scott Davis wore on the field. I have several versions of uni's from the 80's and they are nothing like the "Tooth-Paste" you see being sold and handed out on campus.

So where did we get "Tooth-Past" green? After I recieved a free T Shirt Gift from Dr. Pohl's office as part of the UNT Collegiate license plate promotion I couldn't believe it. I contacted the buyer for the Student Bookstore and she explained that they were having a very hard time finding a supplier with correct, Kelly on their list. The "Tooth-Paste" green seen on and around campus was the closest they could find. When I went to my own supplier about it he told me the same thing. He showed me 4 sample books and none of them had correct Kelly. Most of the T shirts y'all bought from me and Silver(GreenStock) were "Gildan" brand shirts, which make a good quality 100% Cotton T that is affordable. But order Gildan's green that is closest to Kelly and you'll get "Tooth-Past" green.

For me it's a simple solution as I know there is correct Kelly suppliers out there, somewhere. I even bought one from all places, the "Foot Locker". But I suggested to the Student Bookstore people that they contact the suppliers for Michigan State, Marshall and/or SLC to find out who they get their T shirst from and go from there.

Simple solution.

Rick