Harbaugh Interviewing w/North Texas today

Harry

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/usd/2...s4harbaugh.html

UNION-TRIBUNE

December 4, 2006

USD head football coach Jim Harbaugh is set to interview Wednesday for the vacant head coaching job at North Texas, a source with knowledge of that search said. North Texas is seeking a coach to replace Darrell Dickey, who was fired last month after nine seasons at UNT.

Last month, Harbaugh also interviewed for the vacant job at Iowa State, which was ultimately filled by Texas defensive coordinator Gene Chizik.

Harbaugh is prevented by the terms of his contract from commenting on jobs at other schools. His agent, Jack Bechta, declined comment. UNT Athletic Director Rick Villarreal didn't return calls.

Harbaugh's Toreros finished the season 11-1 after winning their second straight Division I-AA Mid-Major National Championship Saturday with a 27-7 win against Monmouth.

– BRENT SCHROTENBOER

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GrayEagleOne

Exceptionally good news. Harbaugh would be a quality hire for most any program and carries enough of a reputation that he would impress recruits even though he is not from Texas.

Everyone makes mistakes, but I do remember Harbaugh getting a DWI last year right before the season starter. Many thought he was going to get fired over the incident.

My question about Harbough is my generation knows him, but does the younger generation know who he is? Can his name open up doors that have previously been closed to us? Is it enough to say I was a former NFL QB?

Everyone makes mistakes, but I do remember Harbaugh getting a DWI last year right before the season starter.  Many thought he was going to get fired over the incident.

My question about Harbough is my generation knows him, but does the younger generation know who he is?  Can his name open up doors that have previously been closed to us?  Is it enough to say I was a former NFL QB?

Well, think of it this way... the kids' parents know who he is, right? And since the parents many times play a large part in letting coaches through the door, I don't think we necessarily need to worry about whether or not today's generation of athletes know who he is.

In addition, with pro experience, he's going to be good with the media. I'm sure if North Texas were to hire him, we could get some media love, possibly even some national love. If that's the case, his name suddenly gets in the news and our coaches get through some doors.

I realize this is all optimistic thinking, but I'm encouraged to see he's applying.

Good to hear that he's interviewing with UNT, but I am hearing from my reliable source that both Harbaugh and Jimbo Fisher are interviewing for several D-1A HC jobs.

Harbaugh has already interviewed for the Iowa State job and is supposedly being considered for Stanford and Tulane as well.

Of course, that doesn't make me want him any less. I would much rather hire someone that everyone else wants than to hire someone that no one even considered.

Harbaugh, Awesome. Dodge, Awesome, let's just move into the future full steam ahead!!!!!!!! Butts in the stands for home games, and a team that at least competes every game they play!!! rolleyes.gif

Everyone makes mistakes, but I do remember Harbaugh getting a DWI last year right before the season starter.  Many thought he was going to get fired over the incident.

My question about Harbough is my generation knows him, but does the younger generation know who he is?  Can his name open up doors that have previously been closed to us?  Is it enough to say I was a former NFL QB?

I'm a student and have always followed sports and this is the first time I have heard Harbough's name.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Jim Harbaugh was a #1 draft choice out of the University of Michigan back in the late 80s by Chicago (I believe) and later went to Indianapolis. He was the quarterback that Peyton Manning replaced. He played about 12 years, ending up at San Diego (seems like he played with one other team after that) where he may have established contact to coach the University of San Diego.

He's only about 5 or 6 years removed from the pros so most high school kids will likely remember him.

On top of what GrayEagleOne said he was also a Heisman finalist. He led the Colts in 95 to the Conference Championship only to lose to the Steelers who then got beat by Da'Boys and was in the Pro Bowl the same year.

I feel like this shouldn't be so much about "can he impress recruits" but can he coach the recruits he does land? Being a Pro Bowl QB, Heisman Finalist, and First Round pick is impressive enough for high school kids.

On top of what GrayEagleOne said he was also a Heisman finalist.  He led the Colts in 95 to the Conference Championship only to lose to the Steelers who then got beat by Da'Boys and was in the Pro Bowl the same year.

I feel like this shouldn't be so much about "can he impress recruits" but can he coach the recruits he does land?  Being a Pro Bowl QB, Heisman Finalist, and First Round pick is impressive enough for high school kids.

And I hear he stayed at the Holiday Inn Express last night biggrin.gif

1986 heisman trophy results

1st Vinny Testaverde Miami (Florida) Sr. QB 2,213

2nd Paul Palmer Temple Sr. TB 672

3rd Jim Harbaugh Michigan Sr. QB 458

4th Brian Bosworth Oklahoma Jr. LB 395

5th Gordon Lockbaum Holy Cross Jr. TB-DB 242

6th Brent Fullwood Auburn Sr. TB 129

7th Cornelius Bennett Alabama Sr. LB 96

8th D.J. Dozier Penn State Sr. TB 77

9th Kevin Sweeney Fresno State Sr. QB 73

10th Chris Spielman Ohio State Jr. LB 60

Good deal.  But I really hope Southlake loses to CH so that we can interview then* hire Dodge biggrin.gif

Does Coach Harbaugh have a son who is probably going to be a Parade HS All American next Fall and who he can recruit for the Mean Green? I don't think Coach Harbaugh does, but don't we all know of someone who does (and can probably recruit him and many others besides his son to come to MG Country AND.......help us start our journey toward Top 25 rankings at UNT)? smile.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen