Jump to content

2024-25 MBB/WBB schedule news


Recommended Posts

MEN'S ALL-BUT-CONFIRMED SCHEDULE

Wed, Nov. 13 - @ Minnesota
Sat, Nov. 16 - vs. Evansville
Nov. 26-27, 29 - ESPN Event Invitational (2 games)
Wed, Dec. 18 - vs. Mississippi Valley State
Sun, Dec. 22 - vs. Houston Christian
 

WOMEN'S ALL-BUT-CONFIRMED SCHEDULE

TBA - vs. SMU
TBA - vs. Chicago State 
TBA - @ Oregon
TBA - @ Houston
TBA - @ Abilene Christian
 

OTHER NOTES

Women

  • Play at Abilene Christian, at Houston the week before Thanksgiving
  • at Oregon
  • this year's nonconference "tournament" will be in Denton featuring games against SMU and Chicago State

Men

Seems to be much further from completion than the women's. Getting harder and harder to find teams to play according to Hodge.

  • Previously announced games against Evansville, two games in Orlando against either Northern Iowa, St. Bonaventure, and/or Utah State
  • No return game from Boise, Nevada backed out of their previous commitment to play us
  • Even UTA is not a guarantee. Last year was the last game of a multi-year agreement that apparently hasn't been renewed yet
Edited by Matt from A700
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Don’t get why the men still have trouble. 

Seems to be easier for the women's teams in general for some reason.

Last year we played Texas Tech at home in volleyball, softball regularly gets Big XII/SEC teams like OSU, A&M and/or Tech to come to Denton. This year soccer is starting the season at home against Oklahoma and Alabama.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, untlynchka1 said:

Because we are now in the bracket of teams that are no longer considered a guaranteed w, but also not shiny enough of a win for the risk. 

Well, I think we are plenty shiny. 

  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

We can do women's basketball stuff and send our guys to Abilene if we're just trying to hurry through the process. 

For men's basketball, I personally have no problem with us doing home and homes with Div. I Texas schools like ACU, SHSU, SFA, Texas State.

SHSU and Texas State were opponents of ours....in 2 of our NIT years.

SFA won an NCAA tournament game way before we did.

And the year we beat Purdue......ACU beat Texas. 

So....if we're looking down our noses at schools like that.....no wonder we can't get things scheduled. 

 

What I don't understand....are some of the places that we go to.....without getting a return game....like Boise State and St. Mary's. We've gone to Boise twice with no return (last year....and one year I think the JJ era)

Edited by SUMG
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, SUMG said:

For men's basketball, I personally have no problem with us doing home and homes with Div. I Texas schools like ACU, SHSU, SFA, Texas State.

SHSU and Texas State were opponents of ours....in 2 of our NIT years.

SFA won an NCAA tournament game way before we did.

And the year we beat Purdue......ACU beat Texas. 

So....if we're looking down our noses at schools like that.....no wonder we can't get things scheduled. 

 

What I don't understand....are some of the places that we go to.....without getting a return game....like Boise State and St. Mary's. We've gone to Boise twice with no return (last year....and one year I think the JJ era)

I'm not looking down my nose at anyone. But if you want to lock in an early schedule, ACU type trips will do it. I'd rather us stay patient and play "up" or play similar opponents that align with the AAC. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I'm not looking down my nose at anyone. But if you want to lock in an early schedule, ACU type trips will do it. I'd rather us stay patient and play "up" or play similar opponents that align with the AAC. 

Well we have seen what playing up like Hodge did last season.  His schedule was 10x what McCasland had and then we have fans giving him a B- grade and complaining about him.

  • Eye Roll 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, meangreen11 said:

Well we have seen what playing up like Hodge did last season.  His schedule was 10x what McCasland had and then we have fans giving him a B- grade and complaining about him.

Schedule was indeed tougher and injuries were much deeper. I commended Ross for his first year as a high level HC. 

However, can't lose to Fordham types in non-league play. Can't lose bottom barrel leauge games like vs nutsack. Forgot opponent, but it was a non-league game and we were up 6 with 1:10 to go and proceeded to let THEM win at the free throw line. Pretty remarkable considering lead and time remaining. I want to say it was @ Boise. Gotta go +3 there in the win column. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Schedule was indeed tougher and injuries were much deeper. I commended Ross for his first year as a high level HC. 

However, can't lose to Fordham types in non-league play. Can't lose bottom barrel leauge games like vs nutsack. Forgot opponent, but it was a non-league game and we were up 6 with 1:10 to go and proceeded to let THEM win at the free throw line. Pretty remarkable considering lead and time remaining. I want to say it was @ Boise. Gotta go +3 there in the win column. 

I'll say what I said on Twitter in response to this statistic. We could have been on the second tier of this graphic if we had closed out those games we were winning late last season alone: St. John's, LSU, Boise, Fordham, at FAU, UAB, South Florida, at SMU, UTSA, vs. FAU.

 

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

We must be a real pushover for teams to con us into a game on the road with no return game.  Toughen up Mean Green.  Also, why not get Army or Navy to Denton?  A lot more name recognition than some of our home game opponents.

 

  • Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/4/2024 at 4:08 PM, drex said:

We must be a real pushover for teams to con us into a game on the road with no return game.  Toughen up Mean Green.  Also, why not get Army or Navy to Denton?  A lot more name recognition than some of our home game opponents.

 

I wonder how picky we are being in teams we think below us, at least closeby that would still allow plenty of UNT fans to attend. Would Tarleton, SFA, SHSU, or A&M Commerce play us on their courts?

I really hope the UTA series isn't put on hold.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

At least Houston Christian is still D-I... Let's see how many other Southland/SWAC teams we can buy before relying on D-II and NAIA.

Agreed. Those games count on our season record. But the NET rankings don't recognize them. But, for the NAIA/Div.II teams...the games are listed as exhibitions (and don't count on their record).

 

Edited by SUMG
  • Pissed 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've been critical of BB scheduling for years, other teams with better and worse records can get better opponents than us. Our strategy seems to be play a couple of invitational tournaments with name teams and fill out the rest of the schedule with a bunch of low level teams. The only praise I can give is at least they seem to be working on the schedule early this year. Maybe we can get the schedule out in August instead of still looking for opponents into October.

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes we've been a good program overall the past seven years, but we still only have one NCAA Tournament appearance to show for it. We have three straight NIT appearances and a championship but in my opinion less and less eyes are focused on the NIT, especially with the championship not at MSG anymore. We need to take advantage of our conference tournament being in our backyard and win the whole damn thing, make it to a Sweet 16, and keep increasing attendance to keep boosting our image as an attractive option to play home-and-homes with.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.