UTA Wedenesday night

mwynn05

real question is: can UNT handle the UTA inside game? That's UTA strength right now I think.

We're young with no seniors but we've got a couple of real big strong power forwards/centers that can score a lot of points and defend the paint pretty well (Griffin, Posey, Vereen). And we really clean the glass.

But, Wooden and UNT's depth may be too much for the Mavs. I hear he's really good.

I'd like to the Mavs shoot the 3 a bit better but Guignard, Moffitt and Epps can 3s from outside and if they get hot, nothing can stop them and Mavs roll. Free throws have been less than outstanding as well.

But UNT is a talented team with a nice win the other night. We beat UT-Tyler by 30, but I think that was expected. Div. I teams should dominate non-Div. I teams.

Overall I think UNT has the edge but it should be a good game. Glad to see the UNT-UTA series resume...ya'll come to the stage next year. I think home team probably wins each game, and then hopefully the series resumes in a long-term fashion. If it's like the old days, should mean some nice crowds for both arenas.

real question is: can UNT handle the UTA inside game? That's UTA strength right now I think.

We're young with no seniors but we've got a couple of real big strong power forwards/centers that can score a lot of points and defend the paint pretty well (Griffin, Posey, Vereen). And we really clean the glass.

But, Wooden and UNT's depth may be too much for the Mavs. I hear he's really good.

I'd like to the Mavs shoot the 3 a bit better but Guignard, Moffitt and Epps can 3s from outside and if they get hot, nothing can stop them and Mavs roll. Free throws have been less than outstanding as well.

But UNT is a talented team with a nice win the other night. We beat UT-Tyler by 30, but I think that was expected. Div. I teams should dominate non-Div. I teams.

Overall I think UNT has the edge but it should be a good game. Glad to see the UNT-UTA series resume...ya'll come to the stage next year. I think home team probably wins each game, and then hopefully the series resumes in a long-term fashion. If it's like the old days, should mean some nice crowds for both arenas.

Hey.. best of luck to you guys too... I don't know anything about UTA so I can't comment on your analysis, except to say that we have a very exciting line up. If the Mean Green players can fire on all cylinders like everyone, including themselves, thinks they can... watch out. We'll be difficult to beat. I think getting great regional rivalries is the best thing for UNT sports whether it is football, basketball, etc. See you at the game!

I totally agree with you, Chris, about what you said about regional rivalries. I'd like to see our volleyball teams and women's b-ball meet every season, too. For some reason, that hasn't happened. (With the recent exception of women's b-ball a couple of seasons ago.) Actually, it seems kinda weird that we are not scheduling each other in these sports.

I also agree that you are the favorites at this point in time for Wednesdays game. We have a brand new coach, no seniors, a bunch of freshman, etc. And, you guys notched an impressive win away at UNC Charlotte. BUT, if historical experience is any guide, ANYTHING can happen in these UT Arlington - University of NT games.

The better question is can you handle our 3pt game. Three of our guys are shooting around 50% from behind the arc and I will take 3 points to your 2 any day. Also, our defense has played very well and that means your guards are going to have to make something happen to be able to get the ball down low. Also if you look at our depth none of our players have to play the whole game. We have so much talent at every position we have played the first 2 games almost entirely on fresh legs. At guard we rotate through Davis, Sturns, Watson and Bell. No drop off between any of those 4. At forward; Stewart, Williams, Wooden, and Young. Stewart and Williams are lower on the scoring but probably better defensively while Young has been the suprise so far and has probably played the best of any of the F but don't count out Wooden he is definately the most athletic. At Center the only true one we have is Howerton when he is in but the rest of the time you will see Wooden and Williams down there depending on if we are trying to rack up points or play D more aggressively.