espn radil

MrStrange62

You know..................

It's strange how Randy Galloway and others coudn't give a damn about UNT football until there's a (in their view) controversy. Now he's just so pissed off about what happened.

give me a break. It's becoming painfully obvious by the reaction of some of our local media how non-exsistent the knowledge about what's going on in denton really is.

I know DD is personable to the media and they think he's funny but they're big boys aren't they?

Edited by TheColonyEagle

It's strange how Randy Galloway and others coudn't give a damn about UNT football until there's a (in their view) controversy. Now he's just so pissed off about what happened.

give me a break. It's becoming painfully obvious by the reaction of some of our local media how non-exsistent the knowledge about what's going on in denton really is.

I know DD is personable to the media and they think he's funny but they're big boys aren't they?

Agreed. They admit they haven't had him on in 9 years to start out, then suddenly he acts like he gives a crap about NT or Dickey.

...Galloway = Tool

Dickey = Classy Dude, gave a great interview.

This is SO true. Someone should call in and ask them who has the worst or second to worst offense in all of D-1 football. Maybe then the firing "would" be about football.

Exactly the point! They have no clue and only know we won 4 championships because they looked it up or read BV's article.

Hell, Dickey even started out the interview listing all the crap that has happened to him this year, and pointed out it wasn't till he was fired that they had him on...

Galloway said he's gunning for RV... laugh.gif They made it sound like Dickey, single-handedly, has funded UNT Athletics during his 9 year tenure. Granted his friendship with Mac has helped, but that hasn't been our only contribution.

I'm really considering switching to the ticket, at least they are somewhat balanced on the issue.

More proof of how it's all about "what have you done for me lately"... Greg Schiano at Rutgers is considered the hottest prospect out there, after 6 years and a record around 15 games under .500 (INCLUDING this year's 8-0)..... Flip it around, and there's not one element about him that's even on par with DD.

Firing a coach that took NT to the first bowl since leather helmets and has battled medical problems for the past two years, makes NT an easy target for self appointed sport "experts".

Based on their limited knowledge, it seems heartless to terminate someone who has done so much for the program with so little in resources. An impression that DD has cultivated for the last nine years.

I think in reality DD basically terminated himself with his "woe is me" and "us against the world" approach. Someone with only a fleeting knowledge of the program does not recognize the degree the program has fallen in the last three years.

Thank you for posting this as I was about to say the very same thing about the interview. And give DD the credit for not jumping at each serving they kept feeding him of "Come on Coach, we know you want to vent here, so vent!".

What bothered me the most was when Galloway throws in the "I am priveledged to some inside info about the situation here so I'm pissed off.....blah blah blah". He's never given a rats ass about the situation here. Give me a break!

Carry On.

Rick

Thank you for posting this as I was about to say the very same thing about the interview.  And give DD the credit for not jumping at each serving they kept feeding him of "Come on Coach, we know you want to vent here, so vent!". 

What bothered me the most was when Galloway throws in the "I am priveledged to some inside info about the situation here so I'm pissed off.....blah blah blah".  He's never given a rats ass about the situation here.  Give me a break!

Carry On.

Rick

It is amazing how the media around here half the time couldn't get our name right, now all of a sudden the firing is an "injustice". Makes you wonder what stats they really looked at.

One thing that concerns me...

There are maybe 500 people who read this board. There are about 200,000 who heard the interview.

And to anyone not closely connected to the school, we went to the Sun bowl in 1959. We don't go back to a bowl till DD is here and go to 4 in a row. We win 27-ish (I forget the exact number) conference games in a row. We are best known for low fan support. We then have one bad season and a second bad half season and he's fired.

As the other guy on the Gallow show pointed out, if I'm interviewing, I want to know exactly what is expected of me!

I an not saying it was not time for DD to go. But, if we're not even going to let the guy get his own recruits as at least red-shirt sophmores - that's three years - why would a top coach want to come here?

I was very, very impressed with DD's self control when given a LOT of opportunities to vent.

I've never been a fan of Dickeball but I though he deserved at least this year to try and right the ship. That hasn't happened and things don't look to be getting better anytime soon. Sure DD coached us to four SBC titles and bowls, but what really did him in is what he failed to do with that success, namely recruiting. Here we are having won 4 games the past 2 seasons and the absolute worst offense in all of Div 1A. I know we don't usually criticize players on here but let's look at the talent level. Face it the cupboard is pretty bare.

Guest Aquila_Viridis

Well it does make for an easy target and that is one reason I am really impressed by the NT administration stepping in and making a serious demonstration that they care about the situation. They would sure like it on Wall Street. As an investor in the program, I like it too.

Well it does make for an easy target and that is one reason I am really impressed by the NT administration stepping in and making a serious demonstration that they care about the situation. They would sure like it on Wall Street. As an investor in the program, I like it too.

dont start singing praises just yet. lets wait and see what kind of coach they get. we need to take a step FORWARD. i just hope the administration will make a commitment to getting better, and itll show in what kind of coach they hire.

Not sure I'm following you VE.  Did you mean DD's own recruits to red-shirt sophomore status?

Rick

I think he was trying to say that Firing DD after 2 bad seasons back to back then we are sending a message to a new potiental head coach that they have only 2 years to WIN or they are out. I guess VE didnt take in consideration the 6 losing seasons DD has had compared to the 3 winning ones. To me , its not the fact of the past 2 losing season , Its the fact of how bad we look while having the 2 losing seasons.

Edited by NT03

Thank you for posting this as I was about to say the very same thing about the interview.  And give DD the credit for not jumping at each serving they kept feeding him of "Come on Coach, we know you want to vent here, so vent!". 

What bothered me the most was when Galloway throws in the "I am priveledged to some inside info about the situation here so I'm pissed off.....blah blah blah".  He's never given a rats ass about the situation here.  Give me a break!

Carry On.

Rick

And amazingly, FFR, Randy Galloway is an NT Ex; of course, he is an alum of about 2 other Texas schools besides ours, too, not graduating from any of them: but hellsbells, Dale Hansen didn't even go to college if I remember reading his bio correctly.

Coach DD's main problems were that he "vented" at times when he really didn't have to or need to; that is, when he was even winning SBC games and then he would get on those post game radio shows and start venting those verbal diatribes aimed toward all the wrong people and for all the wrong reasons.

I guess when his daddy and Craig Helwig got him this job which was (basically) handed over to him on a silver platter that he should have been told what a coach with very little charisma and no D1-A head football coaching experience might be getting himself into. PLUS.......... an NT HFC's job once held by one who had all the charisma in the world (but unfortunately, was coach at a time when smaller D1 leagues did not have bowl tie-ins, Denton had 39K population, NTSU had about 16-17K students and Denton County back in the 70's had all of 99,000 citizens and was even considered a "rural" county by the Texas Almanac back in that day.

Albeit the fact that we beat nobodies just out of 1-AA to get to 4 bowl games, they all served a purpose that was a positive and DD should always receive his due for that 4 year part of his NT job. And all this no matter how 3 out of those 4 games turned out. I believe it was even those bowl games that showed many of us that we had a long ways to go to be an integral part of NCAA D1-A once again and it also told many of us that DD might not be the one who would be able to take us to that next level. sad.gif

A new hire will make us all forget much on all this DD Ball subject, but we did get an Athletic Center out of all this and Dickey did have much to do with that. On the other side of the coin, though, if UNT did not have an AC, we would probably be in a world of hurt for us to have any effective D1-A recruiting since even some pretty good 1-AA schools can probably even match our Athletic Center out at Eagle Point Campus. Texas State U in San Marcos has a very nice Athletic Center FWIW...

Once UNT attaches about a 35-40K seat football stadium to our Athletic Center, then it will look about 5X's better than it does now it in its "standing alone" mode out on that rolling Texas prairie located on the western part of the UNT campus.

Matter of fact, such a jewel of a new stadium will enhance every standing building out at the Mean Green Village including those venues at the former Liberty Christian School we inherited with its purchase that are now part of the MG Village as well.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen