Do we tend to overrate the "fiery" coach?

CaribbeanGreen

Watching Bobby Petrino do a lot of glassy-eyed staring, I find myself wondering if we as football fans tend to overrate the "fiery" guy on the sidelines.. I can think of a pretty equal number of great successes and failures from both extremes, and really wonder if it has much influence if any on a team... I think each style can wear thin over time, and I think the overall makeup of a staff has more to do with it than anything, but i think that this attribute is something that a lot of us tend to overrate the heck out of. A guy can coach or he can't - and even more importantly (IMHO), a guy can recruit or he can't... the rest is just gravy.

Watching Bobby Petrino do a lot of glassy-eyed staring, I find myself wondering if we as football fans tend to overrate the "fiery" guy on the sidelines.. I can think of a pretty equal number of great successes and failures from both extremes, and really wonder if it has much influence if any on a team... I think each style can wear thin over time, and I think the overall makeup of a staff has more to do with it than anything, but i think that this attribute is something that a lot of us tend to overrate the heck out of. A guy can coach or he can't - and even more importantly (IMHO), a guy can recruit or he can't... the rest is just gravy.

Bingo.

Or Bobby Petrino for all that matters considering his "Style" just whipped #3's ass tonight in embarrassing form.

Rick

Yep. That's the point... Petrino is anything but "fiery".. neither is Tressel, Tuberville, Fulmer, Richt, Bowden, or a number of others, for that matter... A good coach is a good coach is a good coach.

In really good coach is in control on the side lines. Landry set a record in the NFL for consecutive playoffs and for consecutive winning seasons. How often did he lost self control and get visibly angry on the sidelines?

Jimmy Johnson won a lot of games in a very short period while often losing his self control.

Just compare the number of winning seasons.

Get the guy who doesn’t worry about the last bad play as much as picking the next good play!

There is a big difference between a fiery coach and an out of control coach.

A firey coach is more of the big brother type, he is there celebrating with the team, he is there when discapline is needed, and he can also transfer energy to the team to make them play beyond themsevles.

He doesn't have to run up and down the sideline dropin f-bombs to be firey.

Here is an interesting article that would seem to apply to this subject.

Coaches are playing game of make believe

By NAKIA HOGAN

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

SPECIAL TO THE STAR-TELEGRAM/WILLIS KNIGHT

Coach Bob Wager has Martin holding down fourth place in 8-5A.

More photosThe postgame locker room was usually church-quiet last season.

Except for the occasional sniffle of a player struggling to hold in his emotions, nobody said much. It hurt too much to talk.

Arlington Bowie senior defensive back D.J. Davis figured there would be plenty of similar Friday night sessions this season.

"People were just mad that we weren't winning the last couple years," Davis said.

But new coach Kenny Perry has brought about some change, having -- in a flash -- turned the once-moribund Volunteers into playoff contenders.

Just when players, parents and the community were about ready to write off this season, convinced the team would continue its string of never making the playoffs, Perry cut off the naysayers in mid-sentence.

"There's a saying out there that losing breeds losing," Perry said. "That's a true statement."

And Perry wanted none of it. He told his players that in preseason drills. Not all the players believed, though.

Those who didn't are no longer around.

"In this profession, to take a program that hasn't been good and to make it good, you have to be a psychologist," said Perry, who in his second year at Sam Houston in 2001 broke a seven-year playoff drought at the school.

"You have to be a cheerleader. And you have to be a coach. There are so many things that go into turning a program around.

"It's not all physical. There's a lot of mental preparation that goes into getting your team to really believe in what you are doing as a coach."

The Volunteers, who have gone from a 1-9 record last season to a 6-2 mark this season under Perry, weren't the only players buying what their new coach was selling.

First-year coaches at Martin and Boswell have resurrected struggling programs and have their beleaguered teams on the cusp of elusive playoff berths.

At Martin, Bob Wager was hired to take over a team that hadn't sniffed the playoffs since 1999 and was coming off a 3-7 season.

But if the postseason started today, the Warriors (3-5), winners of three of their last five games, would be in.

Wager isn't surprised. He'd been in similar situations before, having turned teams at Tolar and Groveton into playoff regulars.

To ensure the trend continued, Wager snatched up a handful of his former assistants and brought them to Martin.

"The one thing that is common with Tolar, Groveton and Martin is we had great staffs and we had great kids," Wager said. "When you have people that all believe in the same thing, I think it gives you a chance."

Not everyone gave Wager much of a chance.

In fact, Martin opened the season with three consecutive losses.

Fans questioned his playcalling. Parents wanted their kids to get more playing time. Outsiders assumed it was a typical Martin year.

But Wager told his players there was no room for doubt.

"There are a lot of things that pop up when things aren't going your way," Wager said. "But to our kids' credit and our coaches' credit, we were able to focus on the main thing. And that's the reason why we are in the situation we are in now."

Unlike Perry and Wager, John Abendschan didn't have to start from scratch at Boswell.

He had spent the previous four seasons as an assistant with the Pioneers, so he was familiar with the players.

But the coach knew changes needed to be made if Boswell, which is off to a 7-1 start, was going to earn a trip to the playoffs for the first time since 2001.

Under previous coaches and playing in the ultra-competitive Class 5A, the Pioneers were typically satisfied with moral victories.

Now in Class 4A and with Abendschan running the show, wins are what matter most.

"For the last four years, it's been a feeling that we just compete," Abendschan said. "That's not anybody's fault. But it was just the situation that we were in.

"Now we have to believe that every time we step on the field we are going to win the game because there is no other reason to come out and play."

IN THE KNOW

Pretenders to contenders

A look at the turnarounds the programs at Martin, Arlington Bowie and Boswell have experienced this season:

Team '06 rec. ' 05 rec. Last playoff app.

Arl. Bowie 6-2 1-9 None

Boswell 7-1 5-5 2001

Martin 3-5 3-7 1999

Hmmmm, sounds like the coach at Boswell is a strong believer in......

I DIDN'T COME HERE TO LOSE!

There are success and failure stories for all types of coaching styles. I think a lot has to deal with the situation the program is in. In our case we need someone who can come in with enthusiasm for the program and the University. We need someone who not only believes in himself but wants to be here (UNT) and believes that entertainment is a vital part of the game day experience.

An excerpt from a coaches monthly newletter letter:

In former UCLA coach John Wooden’s renowned ‘Pyramid of Success’, he describes integrity as “purity of intent.’ People with pure intentions do not compromise or waver from their core values. Their work is good; they take responsibility for all choices; their actions reflect their standards; and they can be trusted. Individuals and teams of integrity do what is right, and stand by their decisions regardless of the consequences or cost. Integrity is tested most when individuals are caught off guard and experience times of either fortune or misfortune. A key point in this regard is how do you respond when you think no on is watching?

As we prepare to make our play off run, let’s keep in mind the three guiding principles that every championship team must possess.

1. Enthusiasm. Enthusiasm is both powerful and contagious. It provides the energy for our athletes to be better workers which will produce better players. It is very difficult to excel in anything without the optimism enthusiasm provides.

2. Work Habits. Success is always a by-product of the work ethic of our team. When hard work becomes the covenant and standard of our team nothing can stand in our way.

3. Preparation. Teams that practice correctly tend to develop the feeling of “we are prepared for anything, and we can count on each other.” True confidence comes from great preparation.

One day at a time, one practice at a time and one play at a time is how we will continue to be a successful team. I am so proud of our Trojan players and coaches and I want to encourage each of you to get behind these great men and build them up and encourage them at every opportunity you have. We have a great opportunity to win another state championship and we can certainly accomplish some great things with all of us pulling together. Let’s pull together more than ever and bring the gold ball back home.

Yours in Trojan Pride

Sincerely:

Coach Trimble

FYI : Head coach 10 years, record 120 - 12 , 9 state championships

jenkstrojanfootball.com