Time to renegotiate DD's contract

Eagle Man

Guest GrayEagleOne

The NC coach didn't resign of his own accord; he was told by the AD that he wouldn't be there next season. It's not quite the same with Dickey.

I don't know that we are willing to buy out the remainder of DD's contract and, especially due to health reasons, I'd doubt that he could afford to just resign. So, since his contract runs to 2009 I believe, it wouldn't surprise me if he's reassigned elsewhere within the athletic department for awhile.

There was a time when evaluations weren't done until after the season was over but I think that it should be done now because 1) it might put some talented recruits on hold until they see who the new coach will be, 2) it might improve home attendance for the two remaining games and 3) it would give the coaching staff a better chance of finding another job.

The NC coach didn't resign of his own accord; he was told by the AD that he wouldn't be there next season.  It's not quite the same with Dickey.

I don't know that we are willing to buy out the remainder of DD's contract and, especially due to health reasons, I'd doubt that he could afford to just resign.  So, since his contract runs to 2009 I believe, it wouldn't surprise me if he's reassigned elsewhere within the athletic department for awhile.

There was a time when evaluations weren't done until after the season was over but I think that it should be done now because 1) it might put some talented recruits on hold until they see who the new coach will be, 2) it might improve home attendance for the two remaining games and 3) it would give the coaching staff a better chance of finding another job.

'

Jack, I have to ask the question: At which point did we see such a dramatic ascension of Mean Green football going up the 119 NCAA D1-A step-ladder as to create such an urgency or need to keep giving DD those gol' darned contract extensions? Such extensions which now has us in a bit of a financial pickle as some on this board predicted might happen with the last contract extension? sad.gif

Surely being the best of the worst of NCAA D1-A did not create some kind of nirvana for our present UNT leaders which influenced all those contract extensions when they didn't really seem to be required (especially at an SBC level of recruiting) and if it was such a level as that (SBC success) that really did it for them, I fear for us all as far who will be the one who takes Darrell Dickey's place as our next head football coach.

IF YOU DON'T LEARN FROM YOUR HISTORY, ARENT' YOU LIKELY TO REPEAT IT (especially at UNT)? huh.gif Seems UNT leaders would do some serious research of what has worked and what hasn't worked at UNT this time around as to check our last 25 years of hiring head football coaches in Denton. Perhaps by doing this they will all discover for themselves how many times we were in the Top 25 during this last quarter of a century of Mean Green football? (None is the answer to that question) AND.....................if aTop 25 program such as a Bosie State or a UTEP has shown can even be done at their locales is not what our school's athletic program is shooting for, then just what is it that are we shooting for, Jack?

My opinion is DD is a good coach however he has put his trust in Flanagan as the Offensive coordinator. I think DD is too nice a guy to fire Flanagan as OC and it is killing the team... Look at the Rivals 100 board and recruiting and see how many recruits Flanagan has signed... Oh, I forgot he is too good to spend his time on this... You would think the OC could sign some recruits..

The attitude of the team is not what it should be and it starts with Flanagan who is too good for this and a terrible play caller... He can't make changes during a game on the fly to answer the defense. I know it is easy to criticize others but it is so obvious. Flanagan must go!!! Find a West Coast Offense minded coach and a solid QB and this team will shine...

If it sounds like I don’t care for Flanagan, you are right. I don’t care for people with attitudes and especially those that aren’t team players… Maybe he will come after me in the stands…. That would be just fine… that is if I am at the game…

I think a guy that almost died is due some respect... the insurance comment is bad form.... He may have issues with coaching but is a good person and life is more important than football..

I thought the insurance comment was very......factual. I saw nothing in Eagle man's comments that were particularly disrespectful. Yes, Dickey almost died, but that doesn't change anyone's feelings about the need for him to move on.

The problem is that now that he's had a heart attack at such a young age, there might be a reluctance for someone to re-hire him.

In the event that he's still functioning as head coach after the end of the season, then I feel absolutely sure that our rivals will use his questionable health against him, when they go after a recruit that we have been talking with.

If you think anyone on this board is being disrespectful to Dickey now, just hang around and see what happens to him during the dog-eat-dog recruitment season. His own peers will have a field day with his health situation.

Edited by SilverEagle

Guest GrayEagleOne

Unless Dickey had been fired a few games into the '01 season, he has certainly earned the right to remain until now. His '03 and '04 teams were talented teams that could have masked average coaching and still won in the SBC. But once Hall, Spencer and Co. were gone, there was not enough new talent to sustain that level. Also, the talent level of other SBC teams began creeping up. So, while I heartily agree that DD should not have been fired after the '01 season, a lot of us, myself included, did not see the need to extend his contract two more years. Then again, hindsight is 20/20. However, if DD was truly a hot coach, then whoever might have hired him would've bought out his contract so we weren't going to ensure anything by extending his contract.

While the insurance remark might be a tad insensitive, it is nevertheless true. While major expenses have already been covered, continued treatment will not be inexpensive either so Coach Dickey could use another year of health insurance. That's why I would say just reassign him. Give him time to recover under a far less stressful situation, perhaps find another job, and get his life back together. It's not unprecedented since that's the way we did Matt Simon.

My opinion is DD is a good coach however he has put his trust in Flanagan as the Offensive coordinator.  I think DD is too nice a guy to fire Flanagan as OC and it is killing the team... Look at the Rivals 100 board and recruiting and see how many recruits Flanagan has signed... Oh, I forgot he is too good to spend his time on this... You would think the OC could sign some recruits.. 

You're making up excuses for the guy. DD controls offensive playcalling and the sytem this team uses. The head coach is the be all end all regarding a team's planned offensive & defensve identities.