Win the Belt

GrandGreen

I want NT to beat the MUTs and win the Belt. I don’t care if Belt victories are apparently not important in the grand scheme to many fans, they are to me. Being the best of the worst is a lot better imo then being the worst of the worst as NT was last year.

There are three teams that I especially want NT to punish,. They are:

Arkansas State, not because they are our designated conference rival; but because many ASU fans seem to think that NT is the devil of college athletics. We have now had the grenade celebration and the counter grenade demonstration to spur on the rivalry. Some ASU fans seem to want to equal ASU’s one tri-conference championship with 26 straight conference wins and 3 outright and 1 co-conference championships earned by NT. Do they did have Homer and Jetro broadcasting their games?

ULM, not because they were NT’s biggest rival for years in the Southland, but because of their unbelievably stupid head coach. Not only did he incorrectly link dyslexia with intelligence, but lacked the sensitivity to not use his ignorant beliefs to slander a fine young man.

That brings us to this week opponent, the mighty MUTS. The MUTS team/fans that were sure that they should have went to the NO Bowl in 2001 and wanted to change the rules in retrospect to accomplish that feat. Despite NT never losing to the MUTS, every game has been close and very physical. The 2001 game may be the most physical game I have ever seen NT play. The MUTS sidelines looked like a MASH unit.

I hear you. Like or not, our highest possible achievements this year are to win the Sun Belt outright (none of this "co-champion" garbage) and to WIN the New Orleans bowl. I wouldn't mind beating LaTech either, which would make us 2-3 in OOC play. I will be very proud of our boys with these accomplishments, and probably celebrate for a week. We can worry about all the other stuff we (including myself) have been posting later on. Right now our boys need our support!

Edited by chrisfisher

Agreed Chris, while winning the Sun Belt would be great we need to focus on the La Tech game also. Finishing 2-3 in OOC should be the minimum accepted by this staff. A 1-4 OOC and a SBC title will only have more people complaining about the quality of the SBC – Especially if we do not win the Bowl Game.

Agreed Chris, while winning the Sun Belt would be great we need to focus on the La Tech game also. Finishing 2-3 in OOC should be the minimum accepted by this staff. A 1-4 OOC and a SBC title will only have more people complaining about the quality of the SBC – Especially if we do not win the Bowl Game.

Yes. We need to win the Belt AND beat Louisiana Tech.

Yes. We need to win the Belt AND beat Louisiana Tech.

And win the New Orleans bowl. Even if we beat LaTech and win the Sun Belt, if we finish 2-4 in OOC games it would be continuation of our pathetic noncompetitiveness in OOC games and a huge disappointment. Especially when 5 of those 6 OOC games come against teams in the the WAC, MAC and CUSA. 3-3 in OOC would be acceptable, despite the sad showings against Tulsa and Akron.

Plus, I don't think I could watch another noncompetitive New Orleans bowl.

And win the New Orleans bowl. Even if we beat LaTech and win the Sun Belt, if we finish 2-4 in OOC games it would be continuation of our pathetic noncompetitiveness in OOC games and a huge disappointment. Especially when 5 of those 6 OOC games come against teams in the the WAC, MAC and CUSA. 3-3 in OOC would be acceptable, despite the sad showings against Tulsa and Akron.

Plus, I don't think I could watch another noncompetitive New Orleans bowl.

Actually, when was the last time we went 2-4 in OOC (excluding D1AA opponents) or even 3-3? I am not trying to be a smart ass, I don't know.

Edited by chrisfisher

I said it all summer, and at the begining of the season. Coming off of last years 2-9 debacle, I would consider this season a success if

1) beat SMU

2) Win the Belt

I'm not saying I accept the losses so far, Im never happy losing. But Im a realist and after looking at our team I didn't think we'd win in Austin, Tulsa, or Akron.

These goals are attainable

I wont be satisfied unless this team can beat LaTech. I know this game is a little further down the road, but there should be NO reason this team can't gel and get into rythm during Belt play before this game.

8Ball Dickey may think beating SMU was his Super Bowl, he better look at the LaTech game the same way. No excuses for a poor showing from NT in this game.

mad.gif

Edited by Got5onIt

I said it all summer,  and at the begining of the season.  Coming off of last years 2-9 debacle,  I would consider this season a success if

1) beat SMU

2) Win the Belt

I'm not saying I accept the losses so far,  Im never happy losing.  But Im a realist and after looking at our team I didn't think we'd win in Austin, Tulsa, or Akron.

These goals are attainable

There is nothing wrong with these expectations given our situation. I don't care what anyone says. I have been very critical myself. But, REALITY CHECK: the BEST we can do for this season is win the belt, win our last OOC game, and win NO bowl. I am cheering for this best case scenario for this season. We'll have plenty of time to go head hunting afterwards. I think the only thing that could send me over the edge again is if we have another Tulsa style loss.

Edited by chrisfisher

Like Mark Cuban said, "Winning breeds success", or something like that when asked about any thoughts on intentionally losing towards the end of that first season in order to get more options in the lottery.

Should we get on a streak in conference and then follow that up with a win over La. Tech we will more than set ourselves up for proper redemption of the earlier losses. And a bowl opponent would be just another chance to add to that as well. There are a ton of things to play for with the remainder of the season and it starts saturday.

Rick