Akron Result

Mad Hatter

You take a difficult position. Your statements suggest the coaching staff wants to lose a game. I seriously doubt that. We have to hold our players somewhat responsible. However, I do agree that our coaches hold much responsibility for our play this season.  I have been very critical this past few weeks, but I like what I saw in the second half. When reviewing film this week, our offense can actually move past, "how do we move the ball" to "how do we score when we have the ball in the red zone." Our special teams, however, have their work cut out for them this week of practice. Their play was horrible on kick returns, and cost us any chance of a win.

It's not that our coaches want to lose a game, they just are afraid to try and win one. DD must go!

I'm sorry, but we dominated the 2nd half.  Keep in mind that was the first time Woody and the offense got to play together for almost (minus 2:00 in the 4Q) a full game. Admittedly, Woody didn't look as sharp in the passing.  Akron completed almost 150 yards or more in punt return yards.....you can't win with those numbers.... I can say definitively though, our offensive was 200% more dynamic and productive, and I haven't even seen the stats.... DD and Co. definitely took chances (went on 4th down several times, on-side kicks, etc., etc.) in this game.  Hopefully, we can build on this second half performance. Conference starts next week.

Yea, we dominated the 2nd half against their freaking 2nd and 3rd stringers - that is definately something to hang our hat on. Good gosh.

And it was such a dominating performance by us in the 2nd half, that we outscored them 7-0 in two quarters. You know, Darrell "keep 8 men in the box" Dickey is wrong when he says he "just didn't have the team ready to play". He did have the team ready to play, its just he is such a horrible coach, that they did the best they could considering their leader.

Edited by GoMeanGreen1999

Yea, we dominated the 2nd half against their freaking 2nd and 3rd stringers - that is definately something to hang our hat on.  Good gosh.

And it was such a dominating performance by us in the 2nd half, that we outscored them 7-0 in two quarters.  You know, Darrell "keep 8 men in the box" Dickey is wrong when he says he "just didn't have the team ready to play".  He did have the team ready to play, its just he is such a horrible coach, that they did the best they could considering their leader.

Yawn.

Guest GrayEagleOne

For all of our second half heroics, long after the game had been decided, we were unable to score twice deep in their territory. We had first and goal at the five after the blocked punt and gained a total of one yard. It was as if their defense (I don't care what stringers it was) was just toying with us.

This team lost the most important phase of the game -> Special Teams. When you lose that phase as bad as NT did tonight, you're going to lose. Special teams can turn games in a heart beat. In this case, they turned the game in Akron's favor early.

That is INEXCUSABLE, and is without a doubt, a testament to bad coaching. The special teams coach should be taken behind the woodshed tonight by DD.

I'm proud the team came out in the 2nd half and played tough. IMO, this proves they could hang and I agree with DD's post game comment(is hell really forzen now!!) about these two teams being on the same level as far as talent goes.

It is the job of the coaches to get the CORRECT players into teh right positions on special teams, period.

You are right on with this comment. Folks, approximately 160 yards of Akron's 300 yards of total offense came from punt returns. Difficult to win with our special teams play this game. Woody Wilson didn't look as sharp, not bad but not great either. But let's face it, he is essentially a freshman QB that hasn't taken a D1A snap before this season. He may not be the immediate savior we hoped he was, but he will be a DAMN GOOD QB. Look for him to develop over the season into a dynamic QB with his run/pass threat. Lastly, we have our work cut-out for us with improving the red zone offense. I wasn't happy with the loss either, but I can't stay mad 100% of the season. I want to enjoy the games too, and believe or not, the Akron game gave me some hope (Yes, I know I'll get blasted for these comments. Oh well).

If it's not true, why put it in print in a newspaper?  Have you looked at the Akron Depth Chart?

Who cares if the 2nd string RB played? Just b/c he isn't the starter does that mean he sucks.... it gets into sketchy territory when you start discounting our accomplishments (or lack thereof) based on someone that didn't play, except in exceptional circumstances. You don't think our defense would have adjusted to the starter? I believe they would have. No one knows though.

Besides, I said that figuratively... fact is, all teams have players that can't play at certain points for various reasons.. Do we say, "our opponents really weren't that good b/c our starting linebacker Phillip Graves isn't playing." Ridiculous statement. We have to judge the game knowing that each opponent plays their best with what they have at that moment in time... to discount, criticize, or praise our defense b/c Akron's starting running back (one person) didn't play or to hypothesize that if he did play they would have scored more misses the point.

Edited by chrisfisher

According to one of the stories about the game, the RB who scored two of their TD's (Walker) is their second string RB.

Not trying to take a shot at you, SilverEagle, just quoting the post to set up my point.

Two years ago, Jamario was our second string RB. Then, Cobbs got hurt and he won the national rushing championship.

Second string doesn't necessarily mean second-rate.

Guest GrayEagleOne

You are right on with this comment.  Folks, approximately 160 yards of Akron's 300 yards of total offense came from punt returns. Difficult to win with our special teams play this game. Woody Wilson didn't look as sharp, not bad but not great either. But let's face it, he is essentially a freshman QB that hasn't taken a D1A snap before this season. He may not be the immediate savior we hoped he was, but he will be a DAMN GOOD QB. Look for him to develop over the season into a dynamic QB with his run/pass threat.  Lastly, we have our work cut-out for us with improving the red zone offense.  I wasn't happy with the loss either, but I can't stay mad 100% of the season. I want to enjoy the games too, and believe or not, the Akron game gave me some hope (Yes, I know I'll get blasted for these comments. Oh well).

A little correcting needs to be done here. Akron had 157 yards in kickoff returns, not punt returns. That total is not included in the total offense figures which are only running and passing plays combined (another way of looking at it is plays from scrimmage). When the return yardage is added in, Akron had 447 to our 389. That's still pretty good total yardage on our part to only score 13 points.

To clarify a point, the back that scored the two rushing touchdowns (Walker) was the backup running back but he did start against us because the regular starter, who is their leading rusher, had a shoulder injury and sat out the entire game. Walker played his first two years as a defensive back and was switched to offense at the beginning of this season.

I do draw some hope from Wilson's quarterback play but am also concerned that we were in the red zone twice without scoring. In fact, we had a tough time gaining any yardage at all while inside the 20.

A little correcting needs to be done here.  Akron had 157 yards in kickoff returns, not punt returns.  That total is not included in the total offense figures which are only running and passing plays combined (another way of looking at it is plays from scrimmage).  When the return yardage is added in, Akron had 447 to our 389.  That's still pretty good total yardage on our part to only score 13 points. 

To clarify a point, the back that scored the two rushing touchdowns (Walker) was the backup running back but he did start against us because the regular starter, who is their leading rusher, had a shoulder injury and sat out the entire game.  Walker played his first two years as a defensive back and was switched to offense at the beginning of this season.

I do draw some hope from Wilson's quarterback play but am also concerned that we were in the red zone twice without scoring.  In fact, we had a tough time gaining any yardage at all while inside the 20.

Thanks for correcting me on that point.. I'll check the stats again.. I'm sure your right... Damn, I mentioned that in several threads. I thought that kickoff returns were included. Are punt returns tallied separately too? I'll have to go back a review the stats. 389 yards is great compared to what's been going on previously, no doubt. The Red Zone offense is really concerning me too.