Dickey is Great

eeally

What will you say when Dickey wins against

SMU, Akron, Tulsa and the Sunbelt?

Give the guy a break, when he starts getting some booster support in the form of $ and a new stadium can be built then you can complain! Do you think it is easy to recruit against Conf USA. much less BCS. Dickey has done more for this program on less than anyone else could have done. Do you want a high school coach that would take 3yrs to get up to speed on how to recruit.

I get so tired of hearing people complain on this board. 4 Sunbelt titles isn't enough! We are not Big 12. Last year we had to bounce with no QB. Now we are bouncing up again. If we go 6-6 our season should be considered a success. At North Texas we do not just " reload".

Some of you are starting to tick me off with you Dickey anit-sentiment. I heard it all last year but if he produces this year some of you should get off your high horses and shut-up!

Give the guy a break! and build him a stadium! Then if he can't recruit go out and get another Matt Simon to really dismantle the program!

EEALLY and I'm out

By the way UNT 31 Tulsa 30 (I hope)

Give the guy a break, when he starts getting some booster support in the form of $ and a new stadium can be built then you can complain! Do you think it is easy to recruit against Conf USA. much less BCS. Dickey has done more for this program on less than anyone else could have done. Do you want a high school coach that would take 3yrs to get up to speed on how to recruit.

I  get so tired of hearing people complain on this board. 4 Sunbelt titles isn't enough! We are not Big 12. Last year we had to bounce with no QB. Now we are bouncing up again. If we go 6-6 our season should be considered a success. At North Texas we do not just " reload".

Some of you are starting to tick me off with you Dickey anit-sentiment. I heard it all last year but if he produces this year some of you should get off your high horses and shut-up!

Give the guy a break! and build him a stadium! Then if he can't recruit go out and get another Matt Simon to really dismantle the program!

EEALLY and I'm out

By the way UNT 31 Tulsa 30  (I hope)

I do not know why I am doing this but I will bite.

4 conference titles weren't enough. They meant nothing to anyone outside of the conference which is what we are striving for.... recognition. It only further insults our conference when we sweep it but get destroyed by everyone else outside of the friggin' league.

We complain, and rightly so, because we want results... steady and progressive results.

We complain about Dickey in the past because he seemed to have no game plan. And what little he did have was simple and predictable. What we saw against SMU was something us meanie greenies haven't noticed before... which was he kept us all guessing at which play call was coming next. Don't give me grief about the recruiting and facilities as they have nothing to do with getting out-coached.

You are right to a point. Just do not get so defensive two games into the season.

Remeber, SMU is not a good team at all. Probably one of the worst we will play all season. Yeah it was a very prideful win, but nothing more than that.

I think the Dickey conversation needs to be put on hold once the season is over. Then we will see what happens......

GO MEAN GREEN

Remeber, SMU is not a good team at all.  Probably one of the worst we will play all season.

Based on what, us beating them? SMU played as expected against Tech, a top 25 team. It is way to early to judge SMU after only two games. Now if they lose this Saturday to a D-1AA team or if the game is even close, I will completely agree with you.

Edited by Green Jackal

I  get so tired of hearing people complain on this board. 4 Sunbelt titles isn't enough! We are not Big 12. Last year we had to bounce with no QB. Now we are bouncing up again. If we go 6-6 our season should be considered a success. At North Texas we do not just " reload".

EEALLY and I'm out

EEALLY,

One game doesn't change my opinion about the coaching. If anyone thinks just because we won one game we're going to go out and win 10 games this year you've been drinking way to much green koolaid. For all of that have never played a down of competitive football, know this: football is a brutal sport and it's a long season. After the first few games, most players aren't 100% for the rest of the season. You see alot of fluke wins because of factors like that, so never judge a team by one game.

Back on topic, I've never said Dickey is a bad coach. You don't go to four bowl games on luck, and I think he'll get us back up to winning the belt. I don't think he's a great coach either, he still doesn't have a winning record after 9 seasons. You can make arguements for both sides, but as far as I'm concerned he's still an average coach. With the current circumstances, I don't see Dickey winning 10 games and ever getting us a top 25 spot. He has a niche of beating belt teams, and the occasional OOC win.

He has taken a couple of short steps in the right direction this season, but it's going to be a long arduous journey. I'll wait to November to start making judgements.

EEALLY and I'm out

I have a few problems with DD but generallly have kept quite. I don't believe 40 wins and 59 losses is "great" even if you toss out the OU, LSU, UT losses.

1. His play calling...when my wife who is not really a FB fan can predict his play that tells me something. He showed me he can call a good game against SMU and even was quoted as saying he had learned that to have an inside running game you had to be successful in widening the field, especially with his passing success against SMU....I really hope he continues to mix his play calls. Really injoyed the SMU game. I don't want to play to "be close in the 4th quarter...I want to play to win. I want him to succeed.

2. I haven't heard much lately, so maybe he's changed here also, but I do not like him to run down NT, its facilities, and our fan support in public and in quotes to newspapers and on TV.

I really hope NT wins against Tulsa, Akron etc. Our team appears much stronger this year and hopefully we now have a QB who can move the ball.

Edited by OldTimer

SMU is a terrible team, plain and simple, and yet they were still one dropped TD pass, a healthy running back, and a couple stupid personal fouls away from actually making a close game of that one.

If we show up to Tulsa- for the ENTIRE game- this could have all the makings of a great season.

In summation, the Tulsa and the Akron games are a better measure of our progress, and what we can expect out of this season, than the tools from the hilltop.

That being said, It was good to see the playbook opened up. Much more exciting game to watch. Still sick of the draw play that NEVER works. Get Jamario to the outside, thats where he has always been best

Edited by Eagle1855

I actually think DD is a good x and o coach. I think he gets a lot out of the players he has. Having said this I would have let him go long ago, because of his public "woe is me" and "I am better than the program" attitude. Maybe he is just a realist but give me a dreamer that can and will sell the program. I would really like to know what he wants to accomplish by his constant "poor me" public statements that emphasize the lack of support and resources available to him. Did someone lie to him when he was hired and tell him he was going to have BCS level support? Does he really think he would have been selected as head coach if NT had the resources he covets?

I unlike a few, do think winning the conference 4 straight years and having 26 straight conference wins were great accomplishments and DD deserves credit for these feats. However, I have never seen a worst coach at representing the University's interest. I do think DD is trying to change but something within him just will not allow him to be consistently positive relative to his situation at NT. DD is very careful in his coach speak about opponents, but seems to have little control over his remarks aimed at the University, support and fans.

Happy with 6-6? Are you serious? laugh.gif

Dickey's OOC record is now 8-39. Yes, 8-39. That is still horrible, at any level.

BTW, the last OOC road win, at the opponent's home stadium, was in ......

.....2000, yes 2000, Six (6) years ago....at ULL... ohmy.gif , while we were in the Big West.

Keep dreaming. dry.gif

Edited by NT80

I will say it is my opinion that DD is a bad coach for college football D1A, he may be an average High School coach. He seems to be a very nice guy. But I think what the last nine years has shown us is that DD has peaked and we will not see much forward movement in our football program as long as he is here. We need new blood that is not afraid to win against top 25 teams.

We will know what we have at the end of September.

1. Depending who you talk to on this forum we expected a loose, lose or loss to Texas.

2. We were all doubtfull about SMU because how they ended the 2005 season.

3. Tulsa, last year, showed us how to play football and DD showed us how he could keep 8 TU defenders in the box.

4. Akron won the MAC last year and beat N.C. State this year in a fantastic comeback.

5. MUTS......well, we have always had their number.

Personally, after watching the SMU game I did see vast improvements in the NT offensive play calling by running wide and some excellent pass and catch. Our "D" looked pretty good too.......remember last year how pourous the "D" was?? Appears penalties are down too from last year. Also appeared that the entire team got "JAZZED" (yea, i like the "A" Team Reruns) how we were really moving the ball around....(outside, inside & over the top) scoring and defending.

IMHO & FWIW (yea, I read all of PMG's posts where I picked up the FWIW) I believe we can give Tulsa and Akron a good game providing that DD and Company can put together a game plan similar to the SMU game. If DD, et al, can do that then DD has reinvented himself in his 9th season. If not then the members of this forum will self destruct just like the "Pony board" is doing.....those folks on the hilltop are totally "freaked out." If the Ponies lose to SHSU Saturday get to P.B.'s house in Highland Park pronto for the garage sale Sunday morning.

EEALLY and I'm out

I think you and I have different definitions of "greatness." While admittedly DD has done alot for this program, our OOC record is absolutely unacceptable. Your "this is the Sunbelt division" talk doesn't cut it for me. You want me to say he's great. OK. Bounce back from a 2-9 season with a winning record (not 6-6), win at least 1/2 or more of our OOC games, AND retake the Sunbelt Championship..... all this season. I would be willing to say DD is doing great things. But of course, I expect all of these stats to improve even more next season. To expect anything less of DD wouldn't be a Mean Green attitude. WE CAN DO BETTER THAN THIS.

----Personally I am seeing things that I don't think were happening before. The offense looks more unpredictable and more balanced. The So.Miss. bowl game was the most disappointing game of all when we continued to attempt to run when they were stacking up the line and we would not try to throw to back them off. Our OCC record is not good but quite a few of the teams have been top-10 teams that most people would have lost to. Our OCC schedule is more difficult that what most Big-12 teams face... Their conference schedules are more difficult but except for last year we have won those.

--- I have been impressed that we haven't seen so many stupid penalites as in years past. I remember one "unsportsmanlike conduct" call last game but that is much better.. so far. Teams that draw 15 yd penalities and have lots of turnovers lose..almost every time. That has really improved. To me the weakest link seems to be the offensive line.... the reason could the players, the competition so far, or the coaching... I have no idea.... there has not been a lot of holes to run through it seems.... hope it improves.

Thanks for the SMU win...... Beat Tulsa and the rest of them.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

The addition and maturing of Woody will be what determines the record this year. The defense appears to be more stout. Woody is extremely mobile, which forces DD and RF to open the offense a little more, similar to Scott Hall years, but Woody is much faster, now can he generate the leadership that Hall had in his 4 years.

WW will make up for DD/RF's lack of creativity and no 6-6 will not do this year, 8-4 should be expected at least.

I will say it is my opinion that DD is a bad coach for college football D1A, he may be an average High School coach. He seems to be a very nice guy. But I think what the last nine years has shown us is that DD has peaked and we will not see much forward movement in our football program as long as he is here.  We need new blood that is not afraid to win against top 25 teams.

Met DD on a couple of occasions and he is very much the gentleman (although I observed was a bit stand-off'ish at the 2 events I attended........but none of this is about the person but rather what the person is delivering (or in the case of UNT) what he is not delivering for our alma mater.

Folks, we have got to get out of this "Green Acres Retirement Center" mode we seem to be stuck in with those athletic employees who are just not delivering the kind of results that would unite a Mean Green Nation and mobilize the ma$$e$ as to cause the majority of our constituency to want to support all this en mass (& not just the fractured support that will become even more apparent in the weeks and months ahead).

All this is why Mike Price was such an important hire for UTEP because he did all of the above and the UTEP Exes and Miner fan base's reward for that? How about Top 25 for the first time in Miner history in only Price's 2'nd or 3'rd year in El Paso? How far are we from having the quality and overall recruiting classes to be Top 25, folks? sad.gifWe do have some talent on the Mean Green football team, but not in the kind of numbers that will ever get us into the Top 50 or even Top 75 NCAA D1-A football programs.

AND...............'twould also be nice when others could start posting about the post subjects rather than the poster? smile.gif Seems that would also show a real sign of maturity that would be expected from adults who say they have a college degree? But......on the other hand, rolleyes.gif it is kind of fun "responding to" posts (which is all I do when prompted) or counter-pointing posts from those who only have 9 years of a poor W/L record coupled with a coach's very bad PR for any NCAA D1-A football program to have as their ammo. In fact, it's almost like shootin' fish in a barrell. Some should look in a mirror, remember what we once had in Denton that made us Mean Green & Proud, and then be ashamed as to what level they continue to validate and support without raising any questions whatsoever as to why we have to support what we are getting.

We Can Do Better....

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

----Personally I am seeing things that I don't think were happening before.  The offense looks more unpredictable and more balanced.  The So.Miss. bowl game was the most disappointing game of all when we continued to attempt to run when they were stacking up the line and we would not try to throw to back them off.  Our OCC record is not good but quite a few of the teams have been top-10 teams that most people would have lost to.  Our OCC schedule is more difficult that what most Big-12 teams face... Their conference schedules are more difficult  but except for last year we have won those. 

I think your observation that we often play very difficult OOC teams is a good one. I really like that we line up teams like UT, OU, etc on our schedule, no matter what our chances of winning. This suggests that we have a REAL chance to get highly ranked some day if we win all of our OOC games and, of course, SBC games. If we develop a truly GREAT team at some point, we will have top opponents on our schedule to beat up on. It appears that opportunities to advance to the next level are constantly in front of us (imagine if we beat UT). All we have to do is win.

8-41.  How much longer?  mad.gif

Hey, stop bringing up statistics! Dickey is great! He took blame for not preparing his team tonight! It takes a real man to do that. Or at least a man who knows that there are no consequences for not doing his job. And did you see how the team played in the second half?? Man that Dickey can really start to pull things together when there is no pressure and the game is already over. If that doesn't convince you that he is great, then I don't know what will!

Hey, stop bringing up statistics! Dickey is great! He took blame for not preparing his team tonight! It takes a real man to do that. Or at least a man who knows that there are no consequences for not doing his job. And did you see how the team played in the second half?? Man that Dickey can really start to pull things together when there is no pressure and the game is already over. If that doesn't convince you that he is great, then I don't know what will!

Just watch the spin begin on this game story on the official site soon.

And now the consolation SBC season will begin and Dickey may win a game or two and be restored to greatness here once again....until it all happens over again next season when the real games in OOC come around.