UNT names Wilson starting QB

BobFam

Seems reasonable enough...

Wonder if the quarterback "coming off the bench" will be DM or MP????? ph34r.gif

I have a new rant: Tulsa will mark the completion of 25% of the regular season. I am concerned that DD still touts the QB rotation thing. Woody is now a highly rated QB (see CBS sports line; he’d be #3 in the nation in ESPN’s rating if he started), despite the rotations. I have thought long and hard about this QB rotation. I've come to the conclusion that DD is extremely uncomfortable breaking promises he made to his QB's when recruiting them. His emotions are getting the best of him. Of course, I don't know this - I only suspect this. He seems unable to tell Matt and Daniel that Woody is (and should be) the starter. He is still tries to provide the veil of "the spot can be yours with the right performance," knowing that neither Matt nor Daniel can overcome Woody's performance. By default, they will relieve themselves from the position (thus relieving him from doing it) after playing with little or no points generated. If correct, this puts our Tulsa win in jeopardy, and I can only hope that Woody & Co. has time put more points on the board after Woody re-enters the game. I am sure DD made promises to Matt, and especially to Daniel, before Woody came around, but DD needs to do what is right for this team, right now.

I have a new rant: Tulsa will mark the completion of 25% of the regular season.  I am concerned that DD still touts the QB rotation thing.  Woody is now a highly rated QB (see CBS sports line; he’d be #3 in the nation in ESPN’s rating if he started), despite the rotations.  I have thought long and hard about this QB rotation. I've come to the conclusion that DD is extremely uncomfortable breaking promises he made to his QB's when recruiting them. His emotions are getting the best of him. Of course, I don't know this - I only suspect this. He seems unable to tell Matt and Daniel that Woody is (and should be) the starter.  He is still tries to provide the veil of "the spot can be yours with the right performance," knowing that neither Matt nor Daniel can overcome Woody's performance. By default, they will relieve themselves from the position (thus relieving him from doing it) after playing with little or no points generated. If correct, this puts our Tulsa win in jeopardy, and I can only hope that Woody & Co. has time put more points on the board after Woody re-enters the game.  I am sure DD made promises to Matt, and especially to Daniel, before Woody came around, but DD needs to do what is right for this team, right now.

I'm sure DD won't rotate QBs if Woody performed like he did in the SMU game as evidenced by him not coming out the last 3 quarters and us never seeing Meager.

I'm sure DD won't rotate QBs if Woody performed like he did in the SMU game as evidenced by him not coming out the last 3 quarters and us never seeing Meager.

DD already said he will rotate QB's at Tulsa. I think Meager will enter. DD has one last promise to break.

I have a new rant: Tulsa will mark the completion of 25% of the regular season.  I am concerned that DD still touts the QB rotation thing.  Woody is now a highly rated QB (see CBS sports line; he’d be #3 in the nation in ESPN’s rating if he started), despite the rotations.  I have thought long and hard about this QB rotation. I've come to the conclusion that DD is extremely uncomfortable breaking promises he made to his QB's when recruiting them. His emotions are getting the best of him. Of course, I don't know this - I only suspect this. He seems unable to tell Matt and Daniel that Woody is (and should be) the starter.  He is still tries to provide the veil of "the spot can be yours with the right performance," knowing that neither Matt nor Daniel can overcome Woody's performance. By default, they will relieve themselves from the position (thus relieving him from doing it) after playing with little or no points generated. If correct, this puts our Tulsa win in jeopardy, and I can only hope that Woody & Co. has time put more points on the board after Woody re-enters the game.  I am sure DD made promises to Matt, and especially to Daniel, before Woody came around, but DD needs to do what is right for this team, right now.

Maybe over analyzing a bit? cool.gif

"While Wilson will start against Tulsa, Dickey said another quarterback will play against the Golden Hurricane."

And he's doing this why??  blink.gif

I offered up my point of view to your question in the above personal rant.

DD already said he will rotate QB's at Tulsa.  I think Meager will enter. DD has one last promise to break.

I read what DD said, but if this comes down to being a close game DD wants to win and he knows Woody gives him the best chance to do that. Granted if Woody is having a bad night or we get up by 14 or 21 you may see another QB late in the game.

Maybe over analyzing a bit? cool.gif

Maybe... but that's what I am trained to do (current UNT Clinical Health Psychology and Behavioral Medicine Doctoral Student). And everyone knows you have to be half-crazy anyway just to go into psychology. blink.gif However, I'd like to hear a better explanation as to why he would rotate Matt or Daniel in... he has seen them play for 1.5 years. He knows what they can do. I seriously doubt they could overcome the Woody challenge, and I suspect that DD knows this too...

I read what DD said, but if this comes down to being a close game DD wants to win and he knows Woody gives him the best chance to do that.  Granted if Woody is having a bad night or we get up by 14 or 21 you may see another QB late in the game.

This is a different scenario. I'd consider rotating too. Does this mean that DD expects us to be behind by announcing ahead of time he will rotate QB's? I seriously doubt it. I'll stick with my rant until I hear something else I like better.

Maybe... but that's what I am trained to do (current UNT Clinical Health Psychology and Behavioral Medicine Doctoral Student). And everyone knows you have to be half-crazy anyway just to go into psychology.  blink.gif  However, I'd like to hear a better explanation as to why he would rotate Matt or Daniel in... he has seen them play for 1.5 years. He knows what they can do. I seriously doubt they could overcome the Woody challenge, and I suspect that DD knows this too...

I do agree that you've gotta be half nuts to go into psychology. biggrin.gif Be careful that you don't end up on the couch yourself cool.gif

This is a different scenario. I'd consider rotating too. Does this mean that DD expects us to be behind by announcing ahead of time he will rotate QB's? I seriously doubt it. I'll stick with my rant until I hear something else I like better.

I have been hard on DD in the past but I will give him the benefit of the doubt here that he will not pull a QB that is having a solid game to put in another QB that hasn't proven anything. Even DD couldn't do something that dumb and cost us the game... ph34r.gif

He just can't get it right can he? rolleyes.gif

It was just an odd comment to make. It sounds like he's not sure himself yet or made promises to others. The timing of the change will be the biggest factor.

It's like saying "another kicker, running back, safety, water boy, or etc.........fill in position.....will play against the Golden Hurricane." Just do it "if" and "only if" needed. But now that you already announced you're "going to do it" you pretty much have to do it even if the situation doesn't warrant it. Or not? blink.gif

It was just an odd comment to make.  It sounds like he's not sure himself yet or made promises to others.  The timing of the change will be the biggest factor.

It's like saying  "another kicker, running back, safety, water boy, or etc.........fill in position.....will play against the Golden Hurricane."  Just do it "if" and "only if" needed.  But now that you already announced you're "going to do it" you pretty much have to do it even if the situation doesn't warrant it.  Or not?  blink.gif

This is where my previous long winded rant originated. I had this line of thinking creep up after DD's comments following the UT game. I held back to see if my observations had any shred of reality. It is odd that he would announce this. It's as if he has promises to fulfill, no matter what the costs. I am sure half the posters are like "shut the hell up with this" - but think about it - what could propel a man to announce that Woody will be relieved from the game, before even seeing how he performs??????

I suspect that D wants Woody to tell the other Qbs that he is the outright starter. I also suspect that DD isn't officially closing the QB competition until he is sure that we didn't some flash in a pan; but adds consistency to the short list of accomplishments. And at this point, the list of accomplishments is short.

Oh, and to be exact, DD just said he didn't know when the other Qbs would enter the game. That doesn't guarantee that either will enter the game, as the answer could be dictated by another good outing by Woody.

I think this may be a case of over analyzing to see when the other shoe is going to fall.