Props From Mack

LongJim

hate Texas all you want, it's tough to find a classier guy than Mack Brown.

Classy guy, eh. He's up on NT by 20 touchdowns, gets down to NT's 25 or so yard line on a 4th and 2, and rather than give his FG kicker a stab at a field goal for practice, he runs it down our throats for a 1st down with that 6-3, 500# beast of a fullback, eventually scoring on us a few playes later. To me, Mack Brown is not a classy guy at all. mad.gif

Actually Silver, I have. A few others have called him classless as well. I was pretty much guided by emotions after the game 4 years ago when he went for it on 4th and short late in the game and up by 22. Fortunatley, we put Chance Mock on his ass.

For the most part I do like Mack, but he is not without critiisism.

GO MEAN GREEN !!!!!!!

Classy guy, eh.  He's up on NT by 20 touchdowns, gets down to NT's 25 or so yard line on a 4th and 2, and rather than give his FG kicker a stab at a field goal for practice, he runs it down our throats for a 1st down with that 6-3, 500# beast of a fullback, eventually scoring on us a few playes later.  To me, Mack Brown is not a classy guy at all. mad.gif

I honestly don't take that as a classless move. In MB's defense (I can't believe I'm doing this) he needed to get those first-teamers, and others, as much playing time as possible so that they would get in-game experience in as many scenarios as possible (like 4th and short), and for conditioning purposes too, knowing they had a huge game the next week. So, as much as we hated the horns going for it on 4th and 2, it's understandable in my opinion.

Also keep in mind that that fake punt came when the score was 28-7 right after we had scored a touchdown. The last thing any coach would want to do is just give the ball back to a team with momentum and still within striking distance when, by alumni, fan, and administrative expectation, the game shouldn't even be close.

Well, sorry this turned into an I Hate Mack Brown thread. sad.gif

Hmm.

Kick a meaningless, "in your face" field goal in a game that you have already won. And taking no time off the clock to do it.

Or,

Trying not to score at your opponents 25 yard line, by running a dive play on 4th and 2, and giving your opponent some dignity. And letting clock run.

There's no comparison in my book--but to each his own.

Also keep in mind that that fake punt came when the score was 28-7 right after we had scored a touchdown.  The last thing any coach would want to do is just give the ball back to a team with momentum and still within striking distance when, by alumni, fan, and administrative expectation, the game shouldn't even be close.

Yeah, but did Mack Brown make the right READ???????!!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry, I couldn't stop my self from getting in a cheap shot! biggrin.gif

Classy guy, eh. He's up on NT by 20 touchdowns, gets down to NT's 25 or so yard line on a 4th and 2, and rather than give his FG kicker a stab at a field goal for practice, he runs it down our throats for a 1st down with that 6-3, 500# beast of a fullback, eventually scoring on us a few playes later. To me, Mack Brown is not a classy guy at all.

There's an easy way to fix that: Stop the Run. Don't allow half a hundred.

In MB's defense he needed to get those first-teamers, and others, as much playing time as possible so that they would get in-game experience in as many scenarios as possible (like 4th and short), and for conditioning purposes too, knowing they had a huge game the next week.  So, as much as we hated the horns going for it on 4th and 2, it's understandable in my opinion.

I agree 100%. Knowing he had the OSU game following week dictated actions against us that he would not have done otherwise. Keeping the starters in longer being one major effect. He has to get them ready any way possible. Unfortunate scheduling on our part.