Homecoming

UNTSIG

I haven't been on the board in a long time so I apologize if this question has already been asked but I was planning on coming in for homecoming and noticed that it was the same weekend as the OU-TU game. Does anyone know why the university decided to make this homecoming? I didn't think that any of the area schools even played a game on that Saturday, much less homecoming.

I haven't been on the board in a long time so I apologize if this question has already been asked but I was planning on coming in for homecoming and noticed that it was the same weekend as the OU-TU game.  Does anyone know why the university decided to make this homecoming?  I didn't think that any of the area schools even played a game on that Saturday, much less homecoming.

b/c we are UNT by golly!!! wink.gif

man... I just... I want to... Really??? we scheduled Homecoming game on UfingT OfingU weekend? are you sure that we couldnt have worked somthing out to have it on superbowl sunday when the cowboys play the redskins and the halftime show is a public knife fight between Jerry Jones, Laura Miller, and that precher from the Potters house? Im sure that many Dallas people would gladly miss either to come attend our homecoming festivities.

i don't know the reasoning obviously. i do know for a fact that it is that weekend though, October 7. it makes no sense to me but there has to be a good reason for it, i would think. like i said, we use to avoid even having a home game on that weekend. i can't imagine that they didn't check.

Guest GrayEagleOne

I suppose that it's possible that we might lose four fans that wanted to attend both but my guess would be zero.

I'd be more concerned if there was a race at TMS because there's a better chance of having someone attend both. Plus, the TMS can cause traffic tieups for miles in every direction, which could play havoc with the Tarrant, Parker and Johnson County travelers.

I'd guess that those who will attend Homecoming and stay over have already made their reservations.

I suppose that it's possible that we might lose four fans that wanted to attend both but my guess would be zero.

well Im probably going to do both. I cant think of a better way to spend a saturday than at a couple of college football games. Hell I may even go down to San Marcos after the opener to catch the Texas State opener.

But in response to the original question, I have no idea. I guess they could have done it for the La Tech game, but maybe they wanted to schedule a win (or perhaps more accurately, not schedule a possible non-conference blow out)

I'd be more concerned if there was a race at TMS because there's a better chance of having someone attend both.  Plus, the TMS can cause traffic tieups for miles in every direction, which could play havoc with the Tarrant, Parker and Johnson County travelers. 

I'd guess that those who will attend Homecoming and stay over have already made their reservations.

your kidding right? most of the people that I go to the games with will probably stay home and watch the biggest thing that happens in dallas each year as opose to go to the homecoming game. I would bet that this would be one of our lower attended games. unless you are big UNT fan the UT OU game is just bigger and more important.

But in response to the original question, I have no idea. I guess they could have done it for the La Tech game, but maybe they wanted to schedule a win (or perhaps more accurately, not schedule a possible non-conference blow out)

if a team wins without a crowd did they win at all?

Edited by bigrobdsp

your kidding right? most of the people that I go to the games with will probably stay home and watch the biggest thing that happens in dallas each year as opose to go to the homecoming game. I would bet that this would be one of our lower attended games. unless you are big UNT fan the UT OU game is just bigger and more important.

the RRS is usually in the morning, while our game is scheduled at night. I dont see the conflict...

Edited by Eagle1855

Guest GrayEagleOne

Nope, not kidding. If our fans don't even have the gumption to attend Homecoming vs. watching Texas-OU on TV, then we might as well drop down to Division III.

Now, I realize that you have a little different situation in that you have to come from Houston but nevertheless Homecoming is the one conference game that I have always attended. It's my best chance to see old friends.

Personally, I'll be there for Homecoming but I will Tivo the Texas-OU game to watch later.

Nope, not kidding.  If our fans don't even have the gumption to attend Homecoming vs. watching Texas-OU on TV, then we might as well drop down to Division III. 

Now, I realize that you have a little different situation in that you have to come from Houston but nevertheless Homecoming is the one conference game that I have always attended.  It's my best chance to see old friends.

Personally, I'll be there for Homecoming but I will Tivo the Texas-OU game to watch later.

agreed. (I'll be the one coming up from Houston, BTW)

I wouldnt miss NT homecoming for any game. If our game was in the morning, Id skip the RRS and not lose a wink. since I can feasibly do both, I think I shall!

I will watch teh ut/ou game on tv then head for Denton.

If there was a conflict I would be in Denton. That is MY school and MY team.

Who knows how good a game the other one would be and a win or loss for either could matter less to me (and that is despite the fact that after NT and any other Sunbelt school, I am a UT fan.)

Would you rather have Homecoming November 4th against LA Tech? Personally, I'd like to have a Homecoming game that we have a better shot of winning, and I'm pretty sure the alumni that only come to the Homecoming festivities and reunions would feel the same way.

Plus, If I'm going to schlep pallets, I'd rather do it for a week in early October than later.

All you positive people that will be at Homecoming regardless are the die hard fans & damn straight I will be in Fouts' parking lot all day long cooking, drinking, and BSing, you know preparing for our game. But for the casual fan, the ones we are trying to pull, there will be plenty of Texas-OU parties all over the DFW area to contend with. And in the end no matter what the attendance is it would have been much better on a different day. It is like setting up to fail, not paying attention to the details.

Hell you could just tell me the score at end of the UT-OU and I will be just as happy.

i am not concerned about the game. i don't really think that the attendance is going to be a problem. well, not any more of a problem than our other conf. games. i just wonder about the attendance surrounding the events. the bonfire is the same night as the big party in the west end. A LOT of students go down there just for the atmosphere. now you die hards, i understand, will be at the bonfire but we are not trying to win you over. also, the parade is at the same time as the Red River Shootout. tell me that we won't lose a lot of folks to that.... I am not trying to knit pick at all. PERSONALLY, I could care less if homecoming falls on Super Bowl weekend. I just wish that the weekend of our homecoming was OUR weekend, not Texas-OU weekend.

Here's what I plan to do.  Set up my tv in the parking lot and watch TU v. OU while I tailgate.  How is this hard for people? 

And wouldn't it behoove the university to possibly set up a large screen or something where people could watch at Fouts and not have to choose?

Emmitt,

I think there may be royalty/copyright issues. I'm not sure they can put a tv network on the jumbotron unless they work it out (pay the network) ahead of time.

You have the right idea, though. I'm not sure this is a major conflict as far as attendence is concerned. I may try and attend both. At the very least I'll watch the TX/OU game while tailgating.

GO MEAN GREEN !!!!!!

BEAT THE HELL OUT OF TEXAS !!!!!!!!!

I understand that everyone on this board will probably be at the game. what everyone is missing is that casual fans and even most of our students are WAY more interested in the UT OU game. If every die hard UNT fan shows up it will be a great crowd of 2300 at fouts to see homecoming. if you dont see the conflict here you are just not looking. most of our alums are not huge fans of the football program. they will not show up when there is a huge draw that same weekend. of the 10-15 guys that I normaly come to the game with I would imagine about 4 are big enough fans to ignore all the festivities around the other game and attend homecoming, and they all went to NT. you can say that you dont want that kind of fan all you want, but we all know that is not true. La Tech would be an infinitly better option.

no one seems to be getting what I am saying. a team like Texas can do what ever they want and people will change their lives to accomidate. My in laws are huge UT / college football fans and we have actually forced family members to change wedding dates to make sure that they dont interfere with football season. UNT on the other hand has about 46 fans give or take who would make similar adjustments to attend games. for everyone else you need to remove obstacles to attendance if you want people at the game. having somthing like UT OU weekend during homecoming is not doing that. I honestly belive that we will have about 60% of the attendance that we would normally have had because of this scheduling f up. it doesnt take a rocket surgeon to figure out that everyone who would normally go to homecoming will have at least the option of an all day cookout/ game watching party to attend if they so choose.