Concerns heading into 2006

Harry

- I am most concerned about both lines. On the O-side, Lineberry returns for his swan song but he's one guy...what about the other 4? Is Chad Rose able to improve his game? What about the tackle position? When you are counting on a true freshman to come in and help your depth is not where it needs to be. We didn't recruit any JUCO's and if you look at our good seasons we always mixed in a couple of JUCO's to even things out experience wise. I hope they are able to get 1-2 big bodies prior to two-a-days.

- On the D-Line side Issac Thomas will be a nice player and a healthy Willie, Sky and Jeremiah give us some ability up front for sure. But what about Depth? Besides Joe Miller there is not a lot of tested talent and we don't have a lot of size.

- Tight end is a major question mark. Davidson has never been healthy. Harmon is inconsistent and I'm not sure Charley Brown is big enough (yet) to be an every down player. There does not appear to be help on the way at this most important position. I am hoping that Ronnie Hull can help us but he has had a lot of health issues in the past.

- If Jamario is not healthy at RB who will be his backup? Both Robertson and Cox are small and unproven.

- I always am fearful of years in which you are changing the defensive formation/scheme. I think the 3-4 does make sense but I hate that we are making the change this year. This is one of our most attractive home schedules I can recall.

- I am most concerned about both lines.  On the O-side, Lineberry returns for his swan song but he's one guy...what about the other 4? Is Chad Rose able to improve his game?  What about the tackle position?  When you are counting on a true freshman to come in and help your depth is not where it needs to be.  We didn't recruit any JUCO's and if you look at our good seasons we always mixed in a couple of JUCO's to even things out experience wise.  I hope they are able to get 1-2 big bodies prior to two-a-days.

Harry, can you speak to strength and conditioning? I'm hoping that this area has improved, as it seemed that late in games last year is where the D really suffered. I realize that their time on the field per game contributed to this, but even so, I'm hoping to see some pumped up guys out there this fall.

It surprises me that my #1 concern wasn't mentioned. Do we have a capable quarterback on this roster? Meager got most of the snaps last year and at no point did opposing defenses respect him to throw, even with our receiving corps. Phillips has a heck of an arm but has he seen enough of a "real time" defense to make the plays? And can he cut out the interceptions that I saw last year when things were forced? And what about my personal fave Woody Wilson? He's got the speed that I think will be needed early because he won't have much time back there, but can he make the plays with his arm? I think that if the QB question isn't answered the rest of them may be moot...we just plain won't score and J-Mo will get beat up.

While the lines are certainly a concern, I can't point out any areas where great improvement is not needed. Hopefully, the large number of redshirts from last fall can contribute big time. Even Jamario is a question mark, can he stay healthy ? It is essential the late spring and summer weight program contribute to the strength and conditioning of the returning players . Leaders are needed on both sides of the ball, not just players who talk alot, but players leading by example. We need the off. to be able to keep the def. on the sidelines for more than three plays, the off. needs to be able to take advantage of breaks , control the ball and the clock when needed , to catch the other team off guard with a variety of plays and sets. The def. needs to be consistent and make the big play several times a game. Without the big time players, depth becomes the essential element.Special teams need to be alert and on top of every situation. Every fan needs their own Dr. Pepper man.

While the lines are certainly a concern, I can't point out any areas where great improvement is not needed. Hopefully, the large number of redshirts from last fall can contribute big time. Even Jamario is a question mark, can he stay healthy ? It is essential the late spring and summer weight program contribute to the strength and conditioning of the returning players . Leaders are needed on both sides of the ball, not just players who talk alot, but players leading by example. We need the off. to be able to keep the def. on the sidelines for more than three plays, the off. needs to be able to take advantage of breaks , control the ball and the clock when needed , to catch the other team off guard with a variety of plays and sets. The def. needs to be consistent and make the big play several times a game. Without the big time players, depth becomes the essential element.Special teams need to be  alert and on top of every situation. Every fan needs their own Dr. Pepper man.

Clock management is a major concern of mine. But going back to what Emmitt said about QBs.... I agree completely. However, I think a lot of the interceptions MP threw last year were due to being put into poor situations. If you notice, each time he was put into the game, the first play called was a Hail Mary-type pass that was always incomplete or intercepted. If we continued with the ball, the second play was always a shorter route pass that resulted in good yardage. Maybe this didn't happen every time MP got into the game, but it happened at the FIU game, FAU game, and Ark St. game that I can remember.

- I am most concerned about both lines.  On the O-side, Lineberry returns for his swan song but he's one guy...what about the other 4? Is Chad Rose able to improve his game?  What about the tackle position?  When you are counting on a true freshman to come in and help your depth is not where it needs to be.  We didn't recruit any JUCO's and if you look at our good seasons we always mixed in a couple of JUCO's to even things out experience wise.  I hope they are able to get 1-2 big bodies prior to two-a-days.

- On the D-Line side Issac Thomas will be a nice player and a healthy Willie, Sky and Jeremiah give us some ability up front for sure.  But what about Depth?  Besides Joe Miller there is not a lot of tested talent and we don't have a lot of size.

- Tight end is a major question mark.  Davidson has never been healthy.  Harmon is inconsistent and I'm not sure Charley Brown is big enough (yet) to be an every down player.  There does not appear to be help on the way at this most important position.  I am hoping that Ronnie Hull can help us but he has had a lot of health issues in the past.

- If Jamario is not healthy at RB who will be his backup?  Both Robertson and Cox are small and unproven. 

- I always am fearful of years in which you are changing the defensive formation/scheme.  I think the 3-4 does make sense but I hate that we are making the change this year.  This is one of our most attractive home schedules I can recall.

Real concerns, Harry... but not so serious until you look at Emmitt's question.

OFFENSE: Offenisive line- Dylan Lineberry, Adjani Banks, Jeremy Brown, and Adam Venegas are ALL three hundred pounds or more, and are move well on their feet. With Rose at center we could have as experienced and ahtletic an OL as we have had in some time. If the old Jamario is back, the hole will only need to be open for a second. At times last year, Cobbs didnt have even that?

The TE position is a real issue. Harmon and Brown are the known players here, and I see a possible return to this spot by Eddie Gilmore. Beau Davidson is a good fit there, but I could never tell if he was ineffective because he was having to help shore up the OL miscues? I wouldnt rule out a possible move to TE by Brock Stickler. He has good hands and the route-running precision to be a play-maker here, and his size in the spring was not far from Beau Davidson's. (spring ball Brock was 6-3, 220lbs) We need all of them to step up this season, and they looked pretty good in the spring.

RB: The proof is in the pudding, but we all saw the amazing moves Devin Cox was flashing in the spring. (he was a herolded RB is high school) Jamario starts, Cox is a more than capable backup, and James Mitchell is still there. Robertson was capable at TB, but Cox was clearly the best under pressure. I feel good at RB.

WR: Not much mention needed here. Quinn, B-Jax, Nwigwe and Muzzy. I didnt mention Stickler as I think he finally gets that "Andy Blount-like" move to H-Back or TE. We have downfield speed and experience. We just need the ball to get there, so.......

QB: HERE is the big question. August tells us for sure if we go into the season with a "Slash" at QB in Woody Wilson, or do we go with Phillips and a very strong arm. I think we do well either way. Theory #1 - What a defense cant catch...a defense cant sack. (advantage Wilson.. the kid has blinding speed) Theory #2 - Give Quinn and Nwigwe a deep ball that they do not have to come back for and they will score. (advantage Phillips...he has a cannon for an arm) We have lots of game film proving theory 2 is true. Emmitt is on the money here. Get the QB question answerred and we know a lot more about this team and our chances.

DEFENSE: There are lots of ways to look at what we have coming this season. I personally go with the positives. The DL is better, and depth is not as much an issue. Isaac Thomas will be special, and with Ransom and Chapman we have a much improved front three. Where we go after that remains a question for August? Pruitt and Miller are good middle guys, and Robert Peachey could be a big help. I still think we see something special this season from Blake Burruss at DE, and Stevenson could play all three DL spots.

Linebackers are our strength, and I have us with Graves, Nwigwe, Holman, and Monroe as the four starters. (No, I didnt forget Shawn Early, I just dont know how he is doing so I will wait on this one. Obviously he figures into the starting rotation if he is back at full speed, and he did look bigger in the spring) Mendoza and Mahan are the wild cards at linebacker, but both looked fantastic in spring ball. Davenport had a rough time, but August will tell the story.

Secondary: A different matter. I think we are good at safety with Weathers and Agbottah, but we have questions after that. Warren is a good player, but not as much speed.. as is the same with Cliff Higgs. Cotton was good at safety, but seems to be injury prone? Desmon Chatman may get a good look here. He has the size and speed to be a play-maker.

At corner we have better speed and athleticim, and it showed in the spring. "Special K" - Washington and Dom. Green are the two best speed and technique guys. Bush, Carter and Stubblefield add real ability in the nickel. Still not sure what to make of Gary Obure as his size was an issue in spring ball, but the guy has fire and does not quit.

I feel good about this season. Not sure what we do about kicker yet, but the year will be better than the 2-9 we had last year. We will know soon enough as practice starts in just over 7 weeks.

GMG!!!

and I see a possible return to this spot by Eddie Gilmore.

I disagree here, as I think the move to the 3-4 hinges upon his success at the outside linebacker position.

I also believe that the DL Patton will be a huge impact as a freshman. And the kid Drake will make an impact on the OL.

Real concerns, Harry... but not so serious until you look at Emmitt's question.

OFFENSE: Offenisive line- Dylan Lineberry, Adjani Banks, Jeremy Brown, and Adam Venegas are ALL three hundred pounds or more, and are move well on their feet. With Rose at center we could have as experienced and ahtletic an OL as we have had in some time. If the old Jamario is back, the hole will only need to be open for a second. At times last year, Cobbs didnt have even that?

The TE position is a real issue. Harmon and Brown are the known players here, and I see a possible return to this spot by Eddie Gilmore.  Beau Davidson is a good fit there, but I could never tell if he was ineffective because he was having to help shore up the OL miscues? I wouldnt rule out a possible move to TE by Brock Stickler. He has good hands and the route-running precision to be a play-maker here, and his size in the spring was not far from Beau Davidson's. (spring ball Brock was 6-3, 220lbs) We need all of them to step up this season, and they looked pretty good in the spring.

RB: The proof is in the pudding, but we all saw the amazing moves Devin Cox was flashing in the spring. (he was a herolded RB is high school) Jamario starts, Cox is a more than capable backup, and James Mitchell is still there. Robertson was capable at TB, but Cox was clearly the best under pressure. I feel good at RB.

WR: Not much mention needed here. Quinn, B-Jax, Nwigwe and Muzzy. I didnt mention Stickler as I think he finally gets that "Andy Blount-like" move to H-Back or TE. We have downfield speed and experience. We just need the ball to get there, so.......

QB: HERE is the big question. August tells us for sure if we go into the season with a "Slash" at QB in Woody Wilson, or do we go with Phillips and a very strong arm. I think we do well either way. Theory #1 - What a defense cant catch...a defense cant sack. (advantage Wilson.. the kid has blinding speed) Theory #2 - Give Quinn and Nwigwe a deep ball that they do not have to come back for and they will score. (advantage Phillips...he has a cannon for an arm) We have lots of game film proving theory 2 is true. Emmitt is on the money here. Get the QB question answerred and we know a lot more about this team and our chances.

DEFENSE: There are lots of ways to look at what we have coming this season. I personally go with the positives. The DL is better, and depth is not as much an issue. Isaac Thomas will be special, and with Ransom and Chapman we have a much improved front three. Where we go after that remains a question for August? Pruitt and Miller are good middle guys, and Robert Peachey could be a big help. I still think we see something special this season from Blake Burruss at DE, and Stevenson could play all three DL spots.

Linebackers are our strength, and I have us with Graves, Nwigwe, Holman, and Monroe as the four starters. (No, I didnt forget Shawn Early, I just dont know how he is doing so I will wait on this one. Obviously he figures into the starting rotation if he is back at full speed, and he did look bigger in the spring) Mendoza and Mahan are the wild cards at linebacker, but both looked fantastic in spring ball. Davenport had a rough time, but August will tell the story.

Secondary: A different matter. I think we are good at safety with Weathers and Agbottah, but we have questions after that. Warren is a good player, but not as much speed.. as is the same with Cliff Higgs. Cotton was good at safety, but seems to be injury prone? Desmon Chatman may get a good look here. He has the size and speed to be a play-maker.

At corner we have better speed and athleticim, and it showed in the spring. "Special K" - Washington and Dom. Green are the two best speed and technique guys. Bush, Carter and Stubblefield add real ability in the nickel. Still not sure what to make of Gary Obure as his size was an issue in spring ball, but the guy has fire and does not quit.

I feel good about this season. Not sure what we do about kicker yet, but the year will be better than the 2-9 we had last year. We will know soon enough as practice starts in just over 7 weeks.

GMG!!!

Peachy was playing in the OL in the spring.....and he looked good there.

Also, Bryan Glass (6'X280, Paris Tx), and Chris Eidd (6'3" X 320, Euless) were mixing it up pretty good out there.

I also noticed a Nick Najarro (#64) out there. All I know about him is that he's a transfer.

If Ronnie Hull (6'3" X 258) keeps developing at TE, we could have a real player at that position. We also forgot to mention the Kilgore JC transfer Brian Carlson (6'5" X 255) who looked pretty good before he was injured.

Blake Burruss (6'7" X 252) also looked pretty good at times playing DE.

My take is that we have a pretty good looking group of people that will jell into a pretty good team IF

(1) they do their PT and get healthy for the fall,

(2) the non-injured ones work on getting stronger

(3) everyone takes care of their grades

and

(4) we avoid excessive injuries during the fall practice.

and finally, they must wear their "I DIDN'T COME HERE TO LOSE" t-shirts at all times.

Peachy was playing in the OL in the spring.....and he looked good there.

My take is that we have a pretty good looking group of people that will jell into a pretty good team IF

(1) they do their PT and get healthy for the fall,

(2) the non-injured ones work on getting stronger

(3) everyone takes care of their grades

and

(4) we avoid excessive injuries during the fall practice.

and finally, they must wear their "I DIDN'T COME HERE TO LOSE"  t-shirts at all times.

No kidding on the grades thing, Bill. Seems like every year we get a surprise like that. I also remember Peachey playing OL, but he was listed on the roster as a DT at the website. He seemed like a great guy at the BBQ. I only listed players I am familiar with. We saw several players out there (Carlson, Glass, and your boy Maldonado) who played well, but I'm not sure where they will eventually fit in.

I do like the "We didnt come here to lose" T-shirt thing. Hope that mind set spreads to a certain Offensive Coordinator..

GMG!!!

I believe this year will be alot better than last.....Just about all the starters are at school this summer working out and taking some classes. My inside sources are telling me Jamario has got his weight down and looking great. Robert Peachy is on the OL not DL and he is looking great with his weight at 300+ now. Everyone seems committed much more than last year at this time. I see us winning out the conference and going bowling in the Big Easy again with the type of energy and excitement I'm seeing from these kids compared to last year. Of course I'm biased but I think the TE crew will suprise everyone this year. Charley is looking great after eating his folks out of house and home during the month of may and the rest of the TE's are looking good including an incomming freshman that will be at the school for a couple more weeks.

It surprises me that my #1 concern wasn't mentioned.  Do we have a capable quarterback on this roster?

At this point, it doesn't look like anyone on the roster is a Scott Hall or Andrew Smith. However, if we see improvement from year one to year two like we did in Hall, then we should be all right.

Scott Hall

2000: 859 yards, 48.2% completions, 6 TDs

2001: 1,453 yards, 52.6% completions, 17 TDs

I'm not ready to give up on Meager or Phillips just yet.