I want to talk about last season

stebo

As many of the older posters know, I used to comment on pretty much anything and everything on this board. You may or may not have noticed - but I just don't do it after last season. In fact, I pretty much didn't contribute suring last season either. Maybe a little bit during pre-season, and after Week 1.... but after that, I was pretty quiet.

Reason why? No, I don't hate the Mean Green. I just know this cycle. I have been through it before. It takes two things to win in college football - an on the field general and an off the field general. Sometimes one can comensate for the other but they both have to be at least "good" in order to win. If they are both "great" then your team will move mountains. Before Dickey we had Simon, before Simon we had Parker. Parker was a fraternity brother of mine - in fact, he pledged up at SE OK State, just like me. And he had talent on his teams. He just couldn't coach. Simon could coach - he came in with the same talent, won the Southland and got us to the playoffs. But the key to him doing that was the magic of Air Maher. That is our on the field general QB Mitch Maher.

Simon struggled after Maher left. We went through probably 10 QB's over the next few years. We lost some seriously embarrasing games. But Simon's problem was that he never found "that guy" for the field.

Dickey comes in - has same problem - which is wierd for a guy that is an ex-QB. We shuffled through yet another 4-5 QB's... until we found Scott. And Scott Hall was something special from the day he stepped foot on the practice fields. I was still up in Denton then and would go up to watch summer practices. I am telling you - people were excited. Here comes this DE that is trying to win a QB position? What the heck? But Scott had the fire. Then came Drew. Scott goes down, Drew steps in and starts making things happen. DeLoach had assembled a salty defence to help the freshman QB out but Drew MADE STUFF HAPPEN. I was at ASU in Jonesboro for Drew's coming out party. He pulled a Scott Hall - put the team on his shoulders and won the game for us all. The Miracle in the Dessert. The Miracle in Jonesboro. The Miracle in New Orleans (honestly). That is what we have been granted up till last year. lots of great times.

I will wrap this up. quite simply put - we lost games last year because we didn't have a QB. Do I blame Dickey? Doesn't really matter. I think that the man has a heart of gold and anyone that met him at the Scholarship football game would back me up. After all the trash he has had to read on this board - he showed up, with players, and gave out gifts. He gave me a huge hug and thanked me for being there. At one point I hated the way that Dickey would not embrace the fans. Well, he embraced me - and a lot more others that day. He is a great guy. and I THINK he is still a pretty darn "good" coach... we just need a QB. If Dickey doesn't solve that problem - he will be in trouble, but I am sure that he know that.

nice thoughts stebo...i fully agree....I've played in Dickey's golf tourney a few times in Houston and I always found him engaging. It doesn't mean you and I always agree w/ his game day stategies, but I never got the whole 'Dickey hates the fans' bit. Look around at other colleges and even NFL teams...if you have a good QB you can win. Look at the chargers record when brees played well in '04 and poorly in '03. Pretty much the same team, but his performance turned the ship around. Look at all the teams that will struggle after losing an experienced senior QB...there are tons...and Penn St. might be the biggest example this year.

I know this subject is one that creates much passion among the MG Nation and especially on GMG.com, but it could be said that it might be much easier to judge a football program and its leadership by not getting emotionally involved with those who are running it. Maybe if DD (when on radio) would just act like we are one big sand lot football team that is listening to his coach's show or post-game comments, he might not have the controversy that all that alone has created for himself.

If we at UNT are only in the business of merely hiring good ol boys who make good beer drinkin' buddies at Denton's best watering holes or hiring those who might not necessarily be able to cut the mustard (competition-wise) among the upper half of all the other 117 schools in NCAA D1-A and that group we'd all on this board (I'd assume) really like to be cutting the mustard with and that with a win now and then blink.gif ...............then we may have bigger problems in MG Country than previously thought.

I think most everyone even on this most diverse board of opinion & thought would agree that we are at the bottom of the barrell in NCAA D1-A with our membership in the SBC. Except for one time, our league's best has not fared well even with CUSA's 4'th best football team at the New Orleans Bowl and that seems to be a trend that could very well continue looking at most all SBC's schools recruiting of late, specifically UNT's of the last few years capped off by last winter's class.

But as far as our membership in the SBC, there is absolutely nothing anyone connected with UNT can do and our present overall venues will probably keep us in the Sun Belt for awhile longer (since our overall venues seemed to have played a big part that kept us from CUSA membership).

Yet while we are planted in the SBC, lets at least bloom to (at least) raise our standards up across the board which includes getting the football program back to the level of where we can compete with and beat (at least) some of the OOC teams on our schedules that most of the posters on this forum would really like to see us win against. When those kind of wins start to eventually happen, then that will show us all what we are about as an NCAA D1-A football program (as compared to beating the schools we presently have to beat to get to a bowl game).

Just my .02 on this subject...

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I've really stayed away from hot button issues for the past few months, for the most part, because all the arguments and complaining, the "you're not a fan unless (fill in the blank)" just gave me tired head.

That said, it is now less than two months away from the start of two a days, and it is time to get geared up for the season. Let me know if there are any questions about the program or players, and I'll do my best to get that information for you.

One quick sports point (the actual reason why I replied here) in response to Stebo. I think he and I are really on the same page. For example:

If you look at last season, we started two bright green quarterbacks. Now the consensus (at least around my place of work) is that having a good, experienced quarterback on your team is worth, at the very least, one more touchdown a game than a bad one. Sometimes quite a bit more, but the bottom line, for argument's sake, is a single touchdown.

Now, if you apply that to our season, We are 6-4, with the winning steak intact and 5th straight conference championship clinched, heading into a season finale with Arkansas State. You're talking about an 8 game swing, from 2-8 to 6-4. All because you couldn't get that one more touchdown a game that an experienced QB would have provided. As bad as last season was, it was really Murphy catching up with us.

That's not so say, of course, that we were really good. We weren't. Any guy on the team or in the front office will admit (even if not in so many words) that we sucked last year. You can really easily scoreboard the home team and say, "yeah, but you were 2-9." However, you start thinking if maybe we had some kind of stability at the most important position on the field, perhaps we win a few more games, and then the straits maybe aren't QUITE so dire.

Edited by illuvius32

I know this subject is one that creates much passion among the MG Nation and especially on GMG.com, but it could be said that it might be much easier to judge a football program and its leadership by not getting emotionally involved with those who are running it.  Maybe if DD (when on radio) would just act like we are one big sand lot football team that is listening to his coach's show or post-game comments, he might not have the controversy that all that alone has created for himself.

This may be true, Plumm, but don't you think those comments got to you because you are emotionally involved?

Guest GrayEagleOne

There was a good parallel to Stebo's post about 35 years ago. With Steve Ramsey at quarterback, Rod Rust compiled a 22-6-1 record his first three seasons at North Texas. Exit Ramsey and the next three seasons he was 7-26. He simply didn't have a quarterback that could carry the load.

I was very close to Rod during his tenure here and truly sad to see his teams unravel. The former Iowa State linebacker was a brilliant defensive coach but had a few shortcomings offensively. He must've had some coaching skills because he's lasted about 30 years in the NFL and CFL, many as a defensive coordinator.

I don't know about the current situation. I think that Phillips has the best chance of being another Maher or Ramsey but I'm not taking that to the bank. Wilson is the best athlete but I'm not yet sold that he could be the better quarterback. I'm afraid that Meager's injuries have taken him out of the picture.

I honestly don't know Dickey's ability as a coach. Past history says that he doesn't do well against winning-record teams. He hasn't related well to many of our fans and needs a much more solid "we came here to win" attitude. Unless there is an epiphany, and he suddenly realizes that he must change his offense so that he is not as predictable, then I can't see great improvement. As a person though, I find no fault with him. He has always treated me cordially and I haven't seen him rude to others either. He has answered every question that I have asked fairly and honestly. I do sometimes wonder why the 'personable' man that I see doesn't project to the same with all of North Texas' fandom.

Great Post Stebo.

This is much of my line of thinking. I also have given up fighting this fight, because obviously some have more time to write epic novels every hour of the day.

While it's easy for us as fans to say we need to do something different and blame the coach, it's much harder for us to give money to see it happen. With our enrollment you would think we would have had a few more millionaire alumns across the nation. Well, we may, but they have yet to step up to the plate and make a huge commitment to that level we are looking for. So until we start giving coaches/directors the support that is even with what we expect to see on the field we should be happy with the character of people we have around the organization right now. I don't know who could hate Dickey as much as some folks on this board, that man has been nothing but class since he got here. I doubt he kicked your dog, or slept with your sister. Show some respect.

I am not faulting those who do not give, and I am not trying to tell anyone to do anything with their money. I however, am pointing out that we don't have near the support that other programs do and it is no fault of Darrell Dickey, Rick Villareal, or any other sports figure/coach. It comes back to us fans, and alumns. Don't get offended if I am calling us out, I am probably not talking those on this board (much like Darrell Dickey probably wasn't talking about most of us on this board).

I think last year was a fluke, it will turn around this year.

Edited by MeanMag

Great post, Stebo. Your vision of the program are eye-eye with mine. I, unfortunately, missed the Mitch Maher days by 1 year....but I STILL remember the first time Scott Hall got into a game at Fouts Field. It was our 2nd game of the season (I believe) and we had Baylor at home....and we were out of the game and our offense was doing NOTHING (which was the norm for DD's first 3 years). Scott Hall comes in, and drives the team down the field for a TD---scoring on that old option pass play (which was the only passing play in the playbook in those days--or so it seemed). I was sitting with my best friend and some other friends on the student side and the option play was run to our sideline. I remember how he SOLD the option, then in one quick motion, went from running full speed to dropped back -looking downfield....then he actually delivered a DEAD ON accurate pass to a wide open receiver. This might sound like a play that you expect out of your QB, but as soon as it happened everyone around me KNEW that we finally had a PLAYER at QB. Then, as the year went on, you could tell that he was one heck of a competitive SOB. I remember a WR reverse pass play that went awry...Hall got the ball to the WR on the end-around, then headed downfield to look for the pass back to him...only problem was the that defense was not fooled and the WR just chucked the ball up...which only made it to the LOS....Hall was there and out-jumped several defenders to get his hands on the ball, then got crushed....but he caught the ball and avoided a turnover. We didn't have that kind of toughness and grit at QB last year.

I'm not saying that Meager and Phillips can't get there....Phillips sure took some big shots last year and always got up. Meager seems to be much more talented than Hall ever was (maybe even more talented than A. Smith)...and Hall's team didn't win but 2 games in his Freshman year also. So, I think that there is hope. I do remember how Hall's Soph. season started out, though. 0 - 5. RV was in the paper talking about evaluating DD's job. Then, the switch came on and the team started fighting. I kind of expect that same thing to happen again this year. I just hope we have the kind of leaders on our team that we did in 2001. Hall was clearly a leader the minute he stepped onto the field...we haven't seen that yet in any of our QBs, but that doesn't mean that we won't. We also know very little of W. Wilson....not much other than he refuses to quit trying at QB....which is a trait that I like to see. He could be the guy??

Edited by TIgreen01

Can't find a QB to play for UNT.

We have an offensive scheme that might be some of the problem, or the offensive offensive coordinator (who by the way is an ex-QB) doesn't recruite at all & has time to confront people in the stands rather than the defenses thrown up against his offense or even look around for a QB that has the skills to be successful in our system.....

So that maybe .....................................

BS. it is a coach's job to find players who can play or make changes until he does find them. dickey gave byerly all the reps last spring knowing he was borderline failing. dickey oks the play calls right?, remember the last game in austin to start the game? this school and all us fans are just f*ers to him. that's fine as long as he does his job and 2-9 or 7-38 is not doing the job correctly. tongue.gif

We didn't have that kind of toughness and grit at QB last year....

I'm not saying that Meager and Phillips can't get there....Phillips sure took some big shots last year and always got up. 

Let me assure everyone that Phillips is tough as nails. I've seen the guy take some hits that I was absolutely sure he wouldn't get up from, but he bounced up and got back to the huddle, even if he has to limp to get there. I think his quiet leadership and his willingness to play hard and play hurt was what we saw the team respond to last year. When you have a quarterback bouncing up like Ed McCaffrey after a monster hit by a blitzing linebacker, the guys respect that.

Edited by illuvius32

This may be true, Plumm, but don't you think those comments got to you because you are emotionally involved?

REVISED THOUGHTS ON SATURDAY AM, JUNE 3'rd....................

Yes, I'd say I have been "emotionally" involved with NT football for about 3 1/2 decades and is probably why I don't like our present direction because I (and many others) quite frankly can't seem to see what some of you apparently see and that is an upwardly bound direction toward a higher profile existence for Mean Green football.

I will say that UNT is probably one of a small handful of NCAA D1-A schools that those who give little or nothing to the school (whether that be academically or thru athletics) can get real chummy with its head football coach. You think Texas Exes who don't give their alma mater all but the family farm in their personal donations get private audiences with Mack Brown? Do such Texas Exes get to go have a beer with Mack Brown w/o being a pillar of its athletic program? Ok, we are talking apples and oranges but some of you will get my drift YET...............what do some of you want, a beer drinking buddy with a crappy football program or a coach who is too damn busy to have a beer with non-large donors (if that be the case as some of you may have recently endowed an academic chair) but is out selling the football program and creating good public relations with new or potential MG fans (or a Big Donor who can build us a football stadium instead)?

As some others have posted, I, too, have nothing against DD as a human being and never have since I've only been around the man about twice since he arrived almost 9 years ago now. Just as some of you have posted, many of us are also looking at the entire picture but from a vanatage point of where Mean Green football has been in past decades against higher profile football schools as compared to where we are now against much lower profile schools; you know, the very schools that when we win against them in league competition gives us a bowl game that (BTW) hardly anyone outside the SBC recognizes or gives much credence? Oh, I forgot, the "4'th" place CUSA team recognizes it and (lately) seems to have enjoyed their trips to the NO's Bowl to play the best that the SBC has to offer.

To a hardy handful of you who vascillate on all this and have for years & the ones who yelled as loud as anyone, ie, "Dickey Ball" or "Pass the Ball" at Amon Carter Stadium several years ago, I'm trying to understand your emotional involvement with a football program that is blatantly going nowhere and (to add insult to injury) just had its worst ranked football recruiting class in memory as compared to all other 117 NCAA D1-A schools. Some in the Mean Green Nation might view such a passion for these kind of results as some kind of emotional problem itself. So Dr. Phil, where are you when we need you the most?smile.gif

Sorry, Young Gun Alums and maybe a (very, very) few older nestors who know a good college football program and one that has an upwardly mobile direction when they see one); anyway, many of our sights are set a bit higher than SBC/Botttom 10 success and that is likely not going to change no matter who is at the helm of our Mean Green ship at this moment in time.

Yet there are some just as surprised that a few of our elect who think being loyal to a continued mediocre football program that has only found disguised success at the bottom quadrant (almost Bottom 10) of NCAA D1-A is going to (somehow) earn them some kind of Mean Green points, a free beer from DD or whatever; anyway, many of us who have actually lived long enough to see us beat known schools are curious as to why a free beer after a sand lot football game is (apparently) suffice; anyway, why not more of this group demanding much more in the area of excellence (both on, off the football field, in the stands of Fouts Field as well as in the area of public relations, you know, the kind that actually sells football tickets to new or casual fans)?

You know any other NCAA D1-A program that sells 15,000 tickets per home game that has had such arrogance floatin' around in some quarters as has been the case at our alma mater in recent years? UNT is in dire need for some staff changes, but those in position of power cannot seem to see the trees for the forest with all this. Seems lack of annual ticket sales and empty seats during 4 bowl years would be proof enough, now doesn't it? What is your barometer of how we measure success if its not those 2 criteria? Those always seem to be the "tell tell" of most other NCAA D1-A programs so why not in Denton, Texas, America?

But FWIW, it's a free Mean Green Nation we have going on here:), yet if all this we've seen coming down the pike the last few years is the very thing that floats some of your boats, then it might be suggested that you who are so "emotionally" involved with a Darrell Dickey-style football program with its unusual form of public relations that goes with it; anyway, it might be suggested that some of you then get "financially" involved with him, too, by the consideration of doubling or tripling your MG Club donations for the upcoming academic year as to make up for the many who are not pleased with what they have been seeing, reading about or hearing on the radio airwaves and are going to (subsequently) reduce or eliminate their MG Club donation completly until an upward direction from the Bottom Quadrant of NCAA D1-A OR...................until we even see some staff changes of those who truly do not belong at the NCAA D1-A level of which one very tell-tell sign of that could be this:

Just how many NCAA D1-A schools with higher profiles than UNT are knocking the doors down to hire our head football coach? To hire a head football coach away from UNT who has gone to 4 bowl games? And schools who might be interested in our head football coach that are (again) higher profile than UNT?

Anyone else just think it quite strange that no one seems to be interested in our head football coach at all (and even that after "4" bowl games)? I mean, come on, folks, get real with this, sober up from all the beer with all this..............DD has not had one "live" on-location interview for a higher profile job after 4 bowl games?

Anyone else want to stand up and identify what the red flags of what has caused this unusual scenario that has transpired with DD's most unusual under .500 career in eight years at UNT or rather...........is it just time (again) to go out and have another brewsky with the head football coach at the University of North Texas so you can say that you had a beer with the head football coach at the University of North Texas? Raise the bar, let your heros always be cowboys (not the broken-back variety, either) and let our heros be those who are productive in an upwardly mobile-type direction and such a hero who will put our school's Mean Green football program back on track to where it was even in the 1970's when our alma mater's football team actually beat schools your grandfathers have heard of. You know, the kind of schools that we play most years as OOC schools?sad.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I'll agree with Steve on one point concerning the QB situation and that is we didn't have a QB.............who played affective, but I don't think any of them were given a fair shot to succeed due to MANY MANY factors oustside their own responsibilities which they had little control over. Offensively you can simply point to O line play as one of those factors and look no further than us having a fairly green Center having to learn to call the correct line ups at the line of scrimmage. Many of our ex players have explained to me that losing Andy Brewster hurt us as much if not more than losing our top Defensive guys?

We had our "Two dollar steak Field General" on the field against Texas in '04 and look at the first three called plays of the game? Three hand offs up the middle with our RB who had a broken hand for minus 1 yard. At who's feet does "Game Plan" preparation responsibilities for OOC play lay?

For this "Square Peg into a Round Hole" offense to have a chance to be affective it must have a top ranked defense. When we lost top play from them this past year our offense didn't have a chance.

For this year, we must find the "Mean Green" defense that never returned back from New Orleans in '03.

As for QB, my money is on a much more experienced, healthy Danny Meager. Phillips might throw a better spiral? Wilson might have better juke moves, but I expect that DM will "Out Work" them both for the starting job.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

REVISED THOUGHTS ON SATURDAY AM, JUNE 3'rd....................

Yes, I'd say I have been "emotionally" involved with NT football for about 3 1/2 decades and is probably why I don't like our present direction because I (and many others) quite frankly can't seem to see what some of you apparently see and that is an upwardly bound direction toward a higher profile existence for Mean Green football. 

I will say that UNT is probably one of a small handful of NCAA D1-A schools that those who give little or nothing to the school (whether that be academically or thru athletics) can get real chummy with its head football coach.  You think Texas Exes who don't give their alma mater all but the family farm in their personal donations get private audiences with Mack Brown?  Do such Texas Exes get to go have a beer with Mack Brown w/o being a pillar of its athletic program?  Ok, we are talking apples and oranges but some of you will get my drift  YET...............what do some of you want, a beer drinking buddy with a crappy football program or a coach who is too damn busy to have a beer with non-large donors (if that be the case as some of you may have recently endowed an academic chair) but is out selling the football program and creating good public relations with new or potential MG fans (or a Big Donor who can build us a football stadium instead)? 

As some others have posted, I, too, have nothing against DD as a human being and never have since I've only been around the man about twice since he arrived  almost 9 years ago now.  Just as some of you have posted, many of us are also looking at the entire picture but from a vanatage point of where Mean Green football has been in past decades against higher profile football schools as compared to where we are now against much lower profile schools;  you know, the very schools that when we win against them in league competition gives us a bowl game that (BTW) hardly anyone outside the SBC recognizes or gives much credence?  Oh, I forgot, the "4'th" place CUSA team recognizes it and (lately) seems to have enjoyed their trips to the NO's Bowl to play the best that the SBC has to offer.

To a hardy handful of you who vascillate on all this and have for years & the ones who yelled as loud as anyone, ie, "Dickey Ball" or "Pass the Ball"  at Amon Carter Stadium several years ago, I'm trying to understand your emotional involvement with a football program that is blatantly going nowhere and (to add insult to injury) just had its worst ranked football recruiting class in memory as compared to all other 117  NCAA D1-A schools.  Some in the Mean Green Nation might view such a passion for these kind of results as some kind of emotional problem itself.  So Dr. Phil, where are you when we need you the most?smile.gif

Sorry, Young Gun Alums and maybe a (very, very) few older nestors who know a good college football program and one that has an upwardly mobile direction when they see one);  anyway,  many of our sights are set a bit higher than SBC/Botttom 10 success and that is likely not going to change no matter who is at the helm of our Mean Green ship at this moment in time. 

Yet there are some just as surprised that a few of our elect who think being loyal to a continued mediocre football program that has only found disguised success at the bottom quadrant (almost Bottom 10) of NCAA D1-A is going to (somehow) earn them some kind of Mean Green points, a free beer from DD or whatever;  anyway, many of us who have actually lived long enough to see us beat known schools are curious as to why a free beer after a sand lot football game is (apparently) suffice; anyway, why not more of this group demanding much more in the area of excellence (both on, off the football field, in the stands of Fouts Field as well as in the  area of public relations, you know, the kind that actually sells football tickets to new or casual fans)? 

You know any other NCAA D1-A program that sells 15,000 tickets per home game that has had such arrogance floatin' around in some quarters as has been the case at our alma mater in recent years?  UNT is in dire need for some staff changes, but those in position of power cannot seem to see the trees for the forest with all this.  Seems lack of annual ticket sales and empty seats during 4 bowl years would be proof enough, now doesn't it?  What is your barometer of how we measure success if its not those 2 criteria?  Those always seem to be the "tell tell" of most other NCAA D1-A programs so why not in Denton, Texas, America?

But FWIW, it's a free Mean Green Nation we have going on here:), yet if all this we've seen coming down the pike the last few years is the very thing that floats some of your boats, then it might be suggested that you who are so "emotionally" involved with a Darrell Dickey-style football program with its unusual form of public relations that goes with it; anyway, it might be suggested that some of you then get "financially" involved with him, too, by the consideration of doubling or tripling your MG Club donations for the upcoming academic year as to make up for the many who are not pleased with what they have been seeing, reading about or hearing on the radio airwaves and are going to (subsequently) reduce or eliminate their MG Club donation completly until an upward direction from the Bottom Quadrant of NCAA D1-A  OR...................until we even see some staff changes of those who truly do not belong at the NCAA D1-A level of which one very tell-tell sign of that could be this:

Just how many NCAA D1-A schools with higher profiles than UNT are knocking the doors down to hire our head football coach?  To hire a  head football coach away from UNT who has gone to 4 bowl games?  And schools who might be interested in our head football coach that are (again) higher profile than UNT? 

Anyone else just think it quite strange that no one seems to be interested in our head football coach at all (and even that after "4" bowl games)?  I mean, come on, folks, get real with this, sober up from all the beer with all this..............DD has not had one "live" on-location interview for a higher profile job after 4 bowl games? 

Anyone else want to stand up and identify what the red flags of what has caused this unusual scenario that has transpired with DD's most unusual under .500 career in eight years at UNT or rather...........is it just time (again) to go out and have another brewsky with the head football coach at the University of North Texas so you can say that you had a beer with the head football coach at the University of North Texas?  Raise the bar, let your heros always be cowboys (not the broken-back variety, either) and let our heros be those who are productive in an upwardly mobile-type direction and such a hero who will put our school's Mean Green football program back on track to where it was even in the 1970's when our alma mater's football team actually beat schools your grandfathers have heard of.  You know, the kind of schools that we play most years as OOC schools?sad.gif

Plumm, don't you ever get tired of typing the same crap over and over, again?

Good post, Stebo. As I have said, Coach Dickey is a class act. You dont just get rid of a four time conference coach of the year because of a single bad year. One bad year is just that... ONE bad year. (Yes LoveMG, I know about the 7-38). I tend to focus more on the four conference titles and bowl trips Coach Dickey got for us. (unless you are giving that credit to Ramon Flannigan?...I'm not drunk enough to do that yet?)

I'll take Coach Dickey and a chance at the Conference Title. Starting over with a new head coach and new system comes with a big bowl of patince. IF you have none for a four-time coach of the year, would be tough to give a newbie HC more than a couple of years.. then we are right back to findind a coach?

Good luck with all of that!!!

GMG!!!

Good post, Stebo. As I have said, Coach Dickey is a class act. You dont just get rid of a four time conference coach of the year because of a single bad year. One bad year is just that... ONE bad year. (Yes LoveMG, I know about the 7-38). I tend to focus more on the four conference titles and bowl trips Coach Dickey got for us. (unless you are giving that credit to Ramon Flannigan?...I'm not drunk enough to do that yet?)

I'll take Coach Dickey and a chance at the Conference Title. Starting over with a new head coach and new system comes with a big bowl of patince. IF you have none for a four-time coach of the year, would be tough to give a newbie HC more than a couple of years.. then we are right back to findind a coach?

GMG!!!

You know, Dr. Pohl is a "class act", but I wouldn't hire him to coach football here at North Texas. wink.gif

GMG!!!

single bad year?, what are you drinking? you are too easily pleased with phoney sbc championships. wake up!

single bad year?, what are you drinking?  you are too easily pleased with phoney sbc championships.  wake up!

The SBC is league NT is in RIGHT NOW. I'd rather NT win the SBC than be last in Conference USA (Not sayig that would happen).

Does NT needs to win some OOC conference games? HELL YES!!!

Do we need to win the SBC and get back to the "Darrell Dickey Classic" in New Orleans? HELL YES!!!!

Is bitching about NT's conference affiliation going to do any good? HELL NO!!!!!

Is worrying about what other college teams that aren't on NT's schedule productive for the advancement of the program? HELL NO!!!!!!

Is this post going to get some dumb, lame-ass response? HELL YES!

The SBC is league NT is in RIGHT NOW. I'd rather NT win the SBC than be last in Conference USA (Not sayig that would happen).

Not me; I'd rather be the last place team in CUSA, just to be in CUSA. I'd also like to be the Vanderbilt of the SEC or the Baylor of the Big12. But 6th place in the SBC does nothing for me.

Edited by NT80