quarterly meeting, stadium fund, future schedules?

LoveMG

fans will not just show up for mean green games, they must be persuaded because of something good and entertaining going on now or in the future.

does nt play any big future games at home, any contracts signed?

what is the time frame now for a new football venue?

how much has been donated?

how many mean green club members are there?

is there baseball and a baseball stadium in our future?

why all the coaching turnover in minor sports?

why no turnover but contract renewals in flat progressing major sports?

are we trying to elevate to get into cusa?

no football player bios on the website for 2006

old coaching roster on the website

no website news of any player or coaching changes only positive spin

any marketing on billboards, tv, or radio in dfw?

what is going on????????????????

I get more smu and tcu news everyday in the media and my mailbox without even wanting it. but I can not receive any factual nt news except for a ticket renewal mailing, even as a mean green club member. I know nt alums who have never been contacted for tickets or donations, ever. why? very frustrating and it seems the program is back to being boring again. mad.gif

LoveMG--

You have pointed out what we have been saying all along:

Are our university father's committed to "just fielding a team" or do they want to be "competitive?"

My unfortunate viewpoint is that the current "status quo" of our university fathers are complacently content on "just fielding a team."

We definitely need another "state of NT athletics" type meeting. Wonder if Lee Jackson will be leading the charge like Dr. Pohl did a few years ago. dry.gif That's when Gene Stallings was brought in as a consultant and gave his thoughts and recommendations on NT athletics?

Can you spell L-A-Z-I-N-E-S-S ? That is the bottom line when it comes to all the elements previously mentioned by other posts. This athletic administration is really rolling the dice, since a new president who takes note of the laziness of the department could really do some damage to them. If I was awaiting a new president I sure as hell would do everything to show the new person all the department is doing, not show their ass by letting so many areas go neglected.

Guest GrayEagleOne

I know nt alums who have never been contacted for tickets or donations, ever.  why?  very frustrating and it seems the program is back to being boring again.    mad.gif

I can't answer most of the questions posed and most, if not all, of this board would pose the same questions.

Unless it's changed (which I doubt) the reason that some NT alums don't receive mailings is that the administration does not know where they are. They will continue mailouts until one is returned with "moved, left no forwarding address".

Most of the students used their parents address when attending NT and usually move after graduation. Both the Exes and the Mean Green Club make an attempt to try to locate the alum but soon give up when unsuccessful.

In years past, I used to obtain a printout of several zip codes around me and do by best to update the list. But, that was before telemarketer calls and people would answer their phone. Quite a bit could be obtained from the telephone directory. Now, I wouldn't have a clue on how to go about it. Any ideas?

You've got that right about needing to get the butts in gear with a new President coming in. That is just basic workplace rules. New boss coming in should equal the lining up of ducks into little rows. Let's hope it does.

I graduated 5 1/2 years ago, and I think that I have been petitioned by the University once. And it was shortly after I graduated so I had none at the time. (Still don't have much) I made my one game a year, and felt ok about it. Now I want to be more involved, but I don't know what way to get involved. That is why I joined this board. I think I'll get more from you all than I will from the Dept.

I just wish that we had the kind of passion in the Athletics Dept that we have on this board.

You've got that right about needing to get the butts in gear with a new President coming in.  That is just basic workplace rules.  New boss coming in should equal the lining up of ducks into little rows.  Let's hope it does.

I graduated 5 1/2 years ago, and I think that I have been petitioned by the University once.  And it was shortly after I graduated so I had none at the time.  (Still don't have much)  I made my one game a year, and felt ok about it.  Now I want to be more involved, but I don't know what way to get involved.  That is why I joined this board.  I think I'll get more from you all than I will from the Dept. 

I just wish that we had the kind of passion in the Athletics Dept that we have on this board.

Like GreenJoe says in all his posts,

Buy season tickets

Join The Mean Green Club

I might add, when you do those two things, you will hear from the athletic department. It least I have.

The problem is in soliciting all those graduates, parents of students, and old alumni. We just don't seem to have a handle on those that come and go.

fans will not just show up for mean green games, they must be persuaded because of something good and entertaining going on now or in the future.

does nt play any big future games at home, any contracts signed?

what is the time frame now for a new football venue?

how much has been donated?

how many mean green club members are there?

is there baseball and a baseball stadium in our future?

why all the coaching turnover in minor sports?

why no turnover but contract renewals in flat progressing major sports? 

are we trying to elevate to get into cusa? 

no football player bios on the website for 2006

old coaching roster on the website 

no website news of any player or coaching changes only positive spin

any marketing on billboards, tv, or radio in dfw? 

what is going on????????????????

I get more smu and tcu news everyday in the media and my mailbox without even wanting it.  but I can not receive any factual nt news except for a ticket renewal mailing, even as a mean green club member.  I know nt alums who have never been contacted for tickets or donations, ever.  why?  very frustrating and it seems the program is back to being boring again.    mad.gif

Maybe some of those alums need to pick up the phone and call the Athletic Department. Did they ever stop to think that maybe the AD doesn't know how/where to locate them?

Maybe some of those alums need to pick up the phone and call the Athletic Department. Did they ever stop to think that maybe the AD doesn't know how/where to locate them?

Maybe we ought to adpot the IRS's system. I have moved several times; and they manage to find me everytime.

(if they can email me with updates; then they could find a way to email me to solicit contact information or donations)

It can't be that hard to get names and addresses. Simply raffle off (for free) an autographed helmet by having fans at games sign up (with their contact information) - end of the season draw a name and then use the information gathered.

The school knows we are out there. I'm sure they email a good number of us. Why does no one ever contact me about getting involved. I am now in a position where I want to be and can be involved, with financial support, time, and my butt in a seat. But how many out there are lost and don't know that they are ready to come home?

I can't help but think of the girl scout cookies that end up in my pantry every year. I don't go looking for them, but they find me somehow. I will call they school. I will buy my season tickets. I'll use my NT Exes Mastercard to actually join the namesake organization, unless that credit card puts me in automatically. Who knows. I'll join the MG club. It just would have been nice if the cookies showed up at my door.

This thread is a good example of a continuing problem we have. Why do we have so many supporters that want to University and more specifcally the Athletic Department to come to them? Why don't they call me? Why don't they contact me? I assume most of you went to North Texas so you must know that the Unversity is still in the same location. I am guessing you can find the phone number of the athletic department with just a little ingenuity (the phone book). You want to know what is going on - call and ask. You want to be more connected - reach out and connect. Donate money, buy season tickets, show up for events. I have been doing this reguarly for the past 4 or 5 years and it is simply amazing, I actually know a decent amount about what is going on. I have been to meetings in the past few weeks about the athletic departments future plans.

If you think you are a supporter, quit whining and get active. We are the ones that the Athletic Department counts on to get to the casual fans. The Athletic Department will give you all the info it can if you ask.

I can tell you this, I don't know Rick V that well, but he will come anywhere, anytime to meet with a group of North Texas supporters if you call him and schedule something. I invite you to test that. Get a group of supporters (or potential supporters) together. Call and schedule something with Rick.

By the way, you will be seeing some announcements over the next 3 or 4 weeks.

Have a nice day!

I have been to meetings in the past few weeks about the athletic departments future plans.

By the way, you will be seeing some announcements over the next 3 or 4 weeks.

Have a nice day!

thank you mr. insider, you made my point. where was the invite to this secret meeting for all to hear of the great coming things? more promises of some future announcements. bah.

I wish we had the quaterly meetings that were mentioned. I think this would be an excellent opportunity to discuss various things Green.

However, I get tired of people telling me that they don't buy tickets or otherwise support the University because they don't "receive anything from the University."

I don't see this as the responsibility of the athletic dept. Sure, they should mail out season ticket renewal forms and keep season ticket holders aware of changes to schedule or times, etc.

But when the Rolling Stones come to Dallas, does anyone expect to get a call from the concert promoters asking them to buy tickets ?

You know there's going to be a football season in the fall. Call the Athletic Dept. and buy your season tickets. It's OUR school. Pick up the phone and make the call and quit making lame excuses as to why you haven't bought season tickets.

Join the Mean Green Club

Buy Season Tickets

GO MEAN GREEN

Call the Athletic Dept. and buy your season tickets.

for 80,000 alumni it does not work that way. they need pushed into it and the department needs to sell it. people have limited time for entertainment and most nt alums and denton residents do not see the need to see stunkbelt games. we do, but how do we get the others?

But when the Rolling Stones come to Dallas, does anyone expect to get a call from the concert promoters asking them to buy tickets ?

I don't expect a phone call, however, they do at least advertise the fact that they are coming to town. When's the last time North Texas has adverised in the Dallas Morning News, or anywhere other than the DRC ? mad.gif

THere is an effort and committment that needs to be made on both sides. Sure, the bigs schools in state (Texas, A&M, Tech) have all the fan base, contributions, support and whatnot. But they have made a committment to produce athletic departments that not only the students and alumni can support, but also the local areas as well.

Go to College Station. Is there any doubt that the whole place is maroon and white to the core? Austin is Austin, but they love their Longhorns. You don't get that in Denton. The University may as well be out in the middle of nowhere as far as the town is concerned.

At some point, there has to be a breakthrough. I don't think that all of the alums in the area are just going to start showing up in Denton for football games and to drop off checks. A better job has to be done of hooking the students while they are there, reaching out to alums in the area, and interesting folks in the Metroplex.

Oh, and when I say that I want someone to reach out to me, they don't have to cast a line out to me like someone fishing with a rod. Throw a net out there. Put big ads in the paper, advertise on radio, use the media. The only voice in town I hear doing that on a consistent basis is George Dunham on the Ticket.

Hire a marketing firm. Or heck, work with some of the kids that study marketing at the school. Generate some buzz some how. I am choosing to come back on my own. There was a little voice that went off in my head that said "Get involved. Go support your school." I don't think that everyone hears that same voice in their head. Sometimes they need to actually have it shouted out to them.