BUSTED!

EagleD

Ramonce Taylor busted with 5lb's of Pot

'Horns running back arrested after deputies find marijuana

03:17 PM CDT on Sunday, May 14, 2006

By JIM VERTUNO / AP Sports Writer

Texas running back Ramonce Taylor, who scored a touchdown in the Longhorns' Rose Bowl win over Southern California, was arrested early Sunday by Bell County sheriff's deputies after they reported finding about five pounds of marijuana in a backpack in his car.

According to the arrest report released by Sheriff Dan Smith, deputies also found a live 40-caliber round of ammunition in the console of the vehicle.

Taylor, 20, was arrested for possession of marijuana over five pounds, a second-degree felony. A second degree felony is punishable by two to 20 years in prison and a fine of up to $10,000.

The case was to be reviewed by District Attorney Henry Garza's office Sunday to decide if formal charges would be filed, according to a news release from sheriff's office. Taylor remained in custody in the Bell County Jail and would be arraigned Monday if formal charges are filed.

Calls to Garza's office Sunday went unanswered.

It was not immediately clear if Taylor had an attorney. Texas football officials didn't immediately comment.

Ken Oden, an Austin attorney who represented Taylor in a December assault investigation - Taylor wasn't charged - told the Austin American-Statesman the player's mother told him about the arrest. Oden said he suggested hiring a lawyer in Bell County.

"She's just trying to figure things out," Oden said.

According to the arrest report, deputies received a report at 1:35 a.m. Sunday of a large fight involving as many as 100 people at a pecan farm in Little River, a community about 40 miles north of Austin.

Deputies also received a call from someone who said they had been at the fight and who complained that a window on his vehicle had been broken. That caller turned out to be Taylor.

While interviewing Taylor at a convenience store, Smith's report said deputies were told by other officers at the fight scene that Taylor had been involved and had threatened to return with a gun. Taylor was placed in handcuffs.

Taylor told deputies he didn't have a gun and gave them permission to search his vehicle. Deputies reported finding the bullet and the backpack with the marijuana. Deputies said the backpack belonged to Taylor.

Taylor was arrested and his vehicle impounded. Two other individuals with him, who were not named in the report, were released at the scene.

An operator at the sheriff's office said Smith would not comment on the report on Sunday and that no other information was available.

One of Texas' most versatile players, Taylor scored 15 touchdowns last season, including a 30-yard scoring run in the Rose Bowl, which Texas won 41-38. The win gave Texas its first outright national championship since 1969.

But he had been excused by coach Mack Brown from spring practices to concentrate on his school work.

AP-WS-05-14-06 1549EDT

If there isn't some spin on this saying that the backpack wasn't his then we'll beat UT in Austin this fall. That's how likely it is that a UT player gets charged for something that every Joe Blow citizen would get hammered for.

Oh yeah, and the "We fully support Ramonce and will conduct our own internal investigation (which will lead to nothing)" statement from either Deloss Dodds or Mack Brown should be forthcoming any day now.

If he IS innocent, it's just another example of hardheads not getting the word when Coach gives the lecture about being careful who you hang with. He probably thinks that advice doesn't apply to him. They just a few months ago got him out of another scrape on 6th Street, I believe.

If he is Guilty, that's either (a) his stash for a while, (cool.gif he was picking up the "supplies" for the team or © it was possession with intent to distribute (gotta have some walkin-around money).

I'll not make any judgments...not my place. Let the system work.

-- If my mother named me "Romonce" I might be on drugs too.... LOL.

---The worse I have ever known of was a girl named "Female" but pronounced to rhyme with "Tamale". Apparently the mother saw that on a sign above the girl's crib at the hospital and decided to "go with it". The poor kid attended a school I worked at. That Mom deserved to be shot.

---#2 on the bad name list has to be a girl I had in class named Sno. Her last name was White.

--- Honorable mention goe to the Mom named Gable who named her son Clark. I knew him too.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

well since this was posted in the "North Texas Football" section I'll say that I think this is a bigger loss than many horn fans may think, and it is one less threat for us to worry about sept 2nd. RT was oft compared to Bush because of the ridiculous speed and ablility to line up in the slot and catcha pretty good ball. In fact, Mack talked to USC a year ago about how they used Bush (ironic).

In truth, I think its pretty amazing Texas even got 2 years out of him, as he has been in trouble for one reason or another the entire time.

Now we just have to slow down Young (Selvin), Charles and Melton... rolleyes.gif

click here

“If he's carrying five pounds of marijuana he's either the stupidest man alive or he thinks he's bullet proof,” Harris said. “Because if you've got five pounds of marijuana you're sure not going to call the cops, call 911 and give them to permission slips to search your vehicle.”

What in the world was he thinking? blink.gif

click here

“If he's carrying five pounds of marijuana he's either the stupidest man alive or he thinks he's bullet proof,” Harris said. “Because if you've got five pounds of marijuana you're sure not going to call the cops, call 911 and give them to permission slips to search your vehicle.”

What in the world was he thinking?  blink.gif

He plays for the god almighty Texas Longhorns, so he thinks he's above the law like all of the kids that play for Mack Brown.

Well, as to the quality of his thought processes, he DID come from a party. Do you think he was stone cold sober? I think he might have indulged in a few adult beverages and/or a J. He just doesn't strike me as the type to say "Just a little ginger ale for me...I'm driving".

Maybe he had just been helping his Moma and had been just pulling up weeds in the back yard and did not realize what they were!!! .. Do you have a better defense?? Why else would he allow a policeman to search his car, either that or just plain stupid (he is a student at Texas)... then maybe an insanity claim is in order.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

He plays for the god almighty Texas Longhorns, so he thinks he's above the law like all of the kids that play for Mack Brown.

Right. Mack is the devil. He recruits these ne'er do wells purposely in order to advance his nefarious purposes here on earth.

Someday--Sooner than later, he will reveal himself as the antichrist. Major Applewhite will rule at his left hand.

All will fall under his mind control/satanic spell--witness Ramonce's behavior last weekend as proof.

The signs are everywhere. Ignore them at peril of eternal damnation--which he desires.

mellow.gif

Edited by LongJim

Right.  Mack is the devil.  He recruits these ne'er do wells purposely in order to advance his nefarious purposes here on earth. 

Someday--Sooner than later, he will reveal himself as the antichrist.  Major Applewhite will rule at his left hand. 

All will fall under his mind control/satanic spell--witness Ramonce's behavior last weekend as proof.

The signs are everywhere.  Ignore them at peril of eternal damnation--which he desires.

mellow.gif

Well as long as we're clear on that.