"Plumm Tickled" to have "Band Day!"

Never too soon to rev up for a "Giant Bands over North Texas" event for our opening home game, or one where the attendance might be lower....whenever that is.

Put our friend Jim in charge, and invite only the top performing bands (not the Rolling Stones), but Lake Highland, J.J.Pierce, Garland H.S., South Oak Cliff, Richardson, Southlate Carroll, etc. Fifty Bands, in all. The Green Brigade could host them all! Each band would have to pay their own way! We would give each member comemorative T-Shirts "I'm been to the only stadium in the known world where each section is in a different zip code"......oh, well.

Go! Mean Green! It's time for my medicine! Goodnight to all!!!!!

Good idea but UIL only approves a small number of out of school activites for the bands. We probably would not be at the top their list to 'use up one of their out of school activities.' Also, if they came, we would have to feed them.

True, there are rules concerning hosting high school bands and their off campus activities.

Wouldn't it just be easier to exploit orphans to bolster the attendance figures?

Of course they would have to provide their own transportation and would be given horrible end zone seats to watch two teams that they've no interest in play football, but hey, we could give them each a hot dog and pretend it's an act of charity.

While we're at it, are there any storm refugees or political refugees that could be coerced into existing inside the Fouts gates on game day? Political Assylum Rally Day at Fouts does kind of have a nice ring to it.

What about Cub Scouts, underprivelaged youth groups, or the physically/mentally challenged, wouldn't they be easy targets for exploi... um, I mean promotions? Sure those promotions would be geared towards people that would almost certainly never become paying customers, but it beats the hell out of going after the university's 100,000 plus alumni in the D/FW market and their families.

True, there are rules concerning hosting high school bands and their off campus activities.

Wouldn't it just be easier to exploit orphans to bolster the attendance figures?

Of course they would have to provide their own transportation and would be given horrible end zone seats to watch two teams that they've no interest in play football, but hey, we could give them each a hot dog and pretend it's an act of charity.

While we're at it, are there any storm refugees or political refugees that could be coerced into existing inside the Fouts gates on game day? Political Assylum Rally Day at Fouts does kind of have a nice ring to it.

What about Cub Scouts, underprivelaged youth groups, or the physically/mentally challenged, wouldn't they be easy targets for exploi... um, I mean promotions? Sure those promotions would be geared towards people that would almost certainly never become paying customers, but it beats the hell out of going after the university's 100,000 plus alumni in the D/FW market and their families.

Jeff, your scathing scarcasm (I assume being directed at the promotions people.....or the lack thereoff) is right on target.

However, regardless of how small of a return it was for the North Texas administration (and even if it was totally unintentional), "Band Day" did help create at least one future Mean Green fan............ smile.gif ......... cool.gif

Am I the Jim that is supposed to put this together after a lapse of 30+ years? Sorry..I am running an opera company in the Raleigh-Durham area now!

By the way, for those of you that remember Mr. McAdow, I still correspond with Mrs. Mc Adow and received a very nice letter from her last week. She is in her eighties, doing very well, and still living by herself at their home on Hickory.

I agree that a Band Day would be a great thing. It would be harder to put together than in the old days as everything is more complex. But, it could be done and would be worthwhile. While we are at it, if a small school like William and Mary can have an alumni band, why can't we?

Am I the Jim that is supposed to put this together after a lapse of 30+ years? Sorry..I am running an opera company in the Raleigh-Durham area now!

By the way, for those of you that remember Mr. McAdow, I still correspond with Mrs. Mc Adow and received a very nice letter from her last week. She is in her eighties, doing very well, and still living by herself at their home on Hickory.

I agree that a Band Day would be a great thing. It would be harder to put together than in the old days as everything is more complex. But, it could be done and would be worthwhile. While we are at it, if a small school like William and Mary can have an alumni band, why can't we?

STILL and in my opinion.................The "ONLY" way for NT to do a Band Day in this era would to focus exclusively on UNT alums who are high school band directors as to bring their bands to Fouts Field for an anuual band day. This is not that big a deal for those who want to make it such. Yet wouldn't a consortium of Texas HS band directors who are NT Exes constitute quite a small army; that is, that large number who all graduated from the 2'nd largest College of Music in America?

For NT Exes who are HS band directors, its not like all this UNT Band Day business would be like a trip to the dentist office with a drill waiting for each of them. Hellsbells, I'd bet many of them would love the recognition each of them and their bands would get at "their" alma mater in front of their former UNT COM professors and collegues. Such NT alum's egos would be stroked and musicians have as big of egos as anyone out there.

If anyone from any era of UNT had ever seen a University of Houston Band Day that had as many as 14,000 bandsmen at one I saw back in the day, they might change their philosoophy on a UNT Band Day period. I would like to think UH recruited a bunch of students out of that 14,000 since HS band students are beginning to look for a college to attend? I defer to the next paragraph and the great Silver Eagle. Silver Bill, I have a flack jacket for you to wear at Fouts this next Fall. I'll get back with you on that.wink.gif

Anyway, Bill, duly noted was your post that stated how it was an NTSU Band Day that was the major influence on your becoming a North Texas student and (now) an NT Ex. I'd bet there were many others besides yourself if truth be known. Band Days as I understand just have that kind of affect with HS students who visit a college campus for the first time (for many of them) and is a main reason many have always thought this promotion a good idea since most HS band students are usually upwardly bound type academic students as it is. It would sure beat the hell out of a Kids Korner type promo seeing all these Denton area kids at Fouts Field wearing UT or TAMU gear that their parents bought them at Golden Triangle or Vista Mall.sad.gif

So in closing, just put an NT Band Day on the back-burner for awhile until we have those back on campus who want around 4-10,000 potential UNT students on our campus each Fall; also, for those who will "get it" on how to pull it off and how to pull if off with the (UNT-graduated) constituency that would make it a success. After all and FWIW, who wants UNT to be successful more than UNT graduates or North Texas Exes?

Edited by PlummMeanGreen