FW*Telegram spring game notes. questions on QB

OldTimer

SPRING GAME NOTESQuestions remain at quarterbackBy JEFF WILSONStar-Telegram Staff WriterDENTON - The top priority for North Texas this spring was finding a quarterback, and two of the leading candidates to emerge as the starter next season had plenty of chances to impress coaches Thursday night at Fouts Field.

Sophomore Matt Phillips was the sharpest during the Green-White game that closed spring practices for the Mean Green.

Phillips was accurate, quick to make the right decision and effective throwing deep.

He completed 11 of 18 passes for 242 yards and three touchdowns to help the Green cruise to a 38-14 victory.

Counterpart Woody Wilson, a transfer from Coffeyville Community College, struggled early with his passing, rebounded in the second half, and was impressive as a runner.

He threw an interception that helped set up a Green touchdown in the second quarter, but he looked comfortable running the zone option play that coaches have implemented after seeing Texas and Sun Belt foe Louisiana-Lafayette find success last season.

Wilson threw a 41-yard TD pass to Zach Muzzy in the third quarter. He completed 7 of 15 passes for 165 yards.

Coach Darrell Dickey wouldn't name a starter heading into fall camp in August as sophomore Daniel Meager, who started all 11 games for the 2-9 Mean Green last season, was out with a shoulder injury.

Dickey, though, was impressed with both.

"I was very impressed with Matt," Dickey said. "Woody had some opportunities and made a few plays that give me hope. We're a lot better off than we were last spring."

Thomas comeback

Perhaps the player fans wanted to see more was running back Jamario Thomas, who suffered a sophomore slump last season.

Thomas had four carries for 25 yards Thursday, but he was slowed by a sore ankle and a few extra pounds.

He looked fresh, though, on a 16-yard burst in the second quarter in which he leapt two defenders. The Green scored two plays later.

Thomas, who was the national rushing leader in 2004 as a freshman, battled a hamstring injury last season that was originally suffered during track season.

"Jamario's biggest thing is to get well, get his grades squared away, get in shape and come back hungry in the fall," Darrell Dickey said.

Dickey health

Darrell Dickey was front and center throughout the 60-minute scrimmage, only a month removed from having his gall bladder removed.

The four-time conference Coach of the Year is noticeably thinner.

He said he has lost 25 pounds and is still slow to regain his strength since the Feb. 4 surgery at a Denton hospital.

"I don't have as much get up and go, but it's getting better," Dickey said. "I could play today if we played. Being out here has helped me more than anything because I can get my mind off it."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jeff Wilson, (817) 390-7953 jwilson@star-telegram.com

Dont panic..Darrell Dickey says that to all of his players after spring ball. "Stay in the weight room, continue to run, and get your grades squared away."

Translation: Dont come back in the fall overweight, GO TO CLASS, and keep your workouts going.

Everything is fine...with exception to TJ Raymond, and the jury is still out on that one.

GMG!!!

Any of you watch the scrimmage on the Premium site?  If you did, what did you think of Jeff Wilson of the Star-Telegram.  He was not very complimentary to NT or the Sun Belt conference.  He's entitled to his opinion, but man was he brutally honest! mad.gif

Was he the color commentator on the telecast? How was the picture quality on it? They had a general PA announcer at Fouts, not for all the plays and it seemed like they kept a running clock most of the time.

Was he the color commentator on the telecast?  How was the picture quality on it?  They had a general PA announcer at Fouts, not for all the plays and it seemed like they kept a running clock most of the time.

No, Jeff Wilson, along with Rick V. and the director of FB operations at NT (name escapes me), were guests during the telecast. Lot of talking and discussion on the 2-9 season, facilities, etc. The picture quality was so so, small viewer, but to out-of-towners like me, it was well worth the monthly fee. I think they'll improve the quality and presentation in due time.

After seeing Evan Robertson and Deavin Cox at RB, I'd feel okay if we went without JT this season. I'd feel a little uneasy, but not so much as I felt when we didn't have PC before JT took over.

Ok, lets review the situation. If, and that's a big IF Ja-Mo were not available to play this fall then the team will be in capable hands.

I would guess that either (and possibly both) Devin Cox or James Mitchell (remember him? he got 166 yrds in 04 when Ja-Mo couldn't go against Ark-St.) would start at RB. Kerona Henderson would start at FB. After that, I would use either Evan Robertson or Joshua Moldonado.

Maldanado is only 5'5", and maybe 150lbs, he would need to run about a 4.4 40 to be effective, otherwise he will get killed!!!

If JT does not play, highly unlikely in my opinion, then you go with the veteran J mitchell, with d cox as the backup.

One of the few stars on the team is JT (JQ) being the other star...no way, does anyone in the athletic dept let him not meet the requirements...TJ was a different story as was Byerly, those guys hadn't done anything, JT is a star, star dont sit out seasons!

Maldanado is only 5'5", and maybe 150lbs, he would need to run about a 4.4 40 to be effective, otherwise he will get killed!!! 

I'm not touting him as a starter. But he went through the whole spring without injury (or getting his bell rung etc), and he took hits just like all the other RBs.

I believe that Maldonado is listed as being 171 lbs. I don't know what his forty time is, but I'm guessing that it must be pretty close to 4.4, otherwise the coaching staff would not have allowed him to walk-on. He was offensive player of the year at Sachse HS in 2004 (a 5-A school). In the early drills, he was firing through the line just as quickly as Robertson.

BTW, I believe that there is a pro RB from Oklahoma who is about 5'6".

And furthur.

In 1981, the North Texas team leader for all-purpose yards was Carlen Charleston (#42 on your program). His total was 947 yards (run 420, rec 94, rtn 433). In the 2002 media guide, Carlen Charleston was listed as #6 all time in total career yards (2997 total).

That puts him ahead of such players as John Love, Bernard Jackson, Leo Taylor, Erric Pegram, Troy Redwine, Ron Shanklin, Hut Allred, Barry Moore, and Malcom Jones.

Carlen Charleston was actually 5'5" X 155lbs. Part of his jersey number was tucked down into his pants, and his name on his jersey drooped on each end because it did not fit across the back of his shoulder pads.

Do I have to dig out that old saying about a dog fight?

Of course, all this discussion may be moot since the coaching staff has demonstrated a propensity to invite players to walk-on, and even when those players out-perform some of the "ship" players (Scott Wissel last spring comes to mind), they don't invite them back to walk-on in the fall.

Edited by SilverEagle

Of course, all this discussion may be moot since the coaching staff has demonstrated a propensity to invite players to walk-on, and even when those players out-perform some of the "ship" players (Scott Wissel last spring comes to mind), they don't invite them back to walk-on in the fall.